U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-22-2013, 06:08 AM

1,850 posts, read 2,630,066 times

Advertisements

I got this inspiration from another thread.

1- Does it come from not managing expectations?

2-Where do the expectations come from?

3-Do you think most of the bad mouthing comes from transplants?
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-22-2013, 07:12 AM

3,383 posts, read 4,376,709 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocco Barbosa View Post
I got this inspiration from another thread.

1- Does it come from not managing expectations?

2-Where do the expectations come from?

3-Do you think most of the bad mouthing comes from transplants?
http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Boosterism

Atlanta nicknames:

http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nicknames_of_Atlanta

"Chicago of the South" was one of the nicknames used to promote Atlanta in the 1800's, along with "New York of the South":

I explained it in that thread that it came from boosterism. I will again suggest you do a Google search on Atlanta boosterism. There have been many articles and even books written on the subject.

The expectations come from those with capital interests boosting Atlanta up to outsiders to be what it isn't to get people and business to come here. Not saying it's exactly a bad thing and Atlanta isn't the only place to do it, but it is the historical boosters who have painted a picture of this city that it doesn't quite live up to for many. So after listening to the boosters, people come here and end up disappointed in many instances.

Last edited by Atlanta_BD; 07-22-2013 at 07:24 AM..

Old 07-22-2013, 07:57 AM

1,697 posts, read 1,870,638 times
^So you're blaming boosters from the 1890's for your disappointment? No one told YOU that it would be like NYC.

Old 07-22-2013, 08:11 AM

3,383 posts, read 4,376,709 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by joey86 View Post
^So you're blaming boosters from the 1890's for your disappointment? No one told YOU that it would be like NYC.
I never said I expected Atlanta to be like New York and never thought it came remotely close. I did however think that the constant comparisons to NYC are unfounded and ridiculous.

You missed the point of my post. I'm not "blaming" folks from the 1890's, but rather giving the OP insight on the history as to when the comparisons started and with whom, and that people didn't pull these comparisons out of their behinds on their own. These comparions started with Atlantans and have long been engrained to Atlanta's cultural and promotional fabric for 100 years. Don't get mad at me for answering the OP'S question and backing it up with historical proof.

Old 07-22-2013, 08:14 AM

1,637 posts, read 2,261,694 times
They aren't being satisfied at home so they bring their negative energy on here. We all know this is true. Ever seen someone that was always negative in your personal life? Well more than likely this is why they are negative

The end

Last edited by gerrythesnake; 07-22-2013 at 08:25 AM..

Old 07-22-2013, 09:15 AM

5,102 posts, read 6,307,042 times
Quote:
Damn, someone tries to help you with your very general questions and you respond with this??

Old 07-22-2013, 09:21 AM

7,112 posts, read 8,793,601 times
How about simply telling the truth?

Old 07-22-2013, 09:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atlanta_BD View Post
I never said I expected Atlanta to be like New York and never thought it came remotely close. I did however think that the constant comparisons to NYC are unfounded and ridiculous.

You missed the point of my post. I'm not "blaming" folks from the 1890's, but rather giving the OP insight on the history as to when the comparisons started and with whom, and that people didn't pull these comparisons out of their behinds on their own. These comparions started with Atlantans and have long been engrained to Atlanta's cultural and promotional fabric for 100 years. Don't get mad at me for answering the OP'S question and backing it up with historical proof.
I'm not mad at you. I would like to hear your own experience since you are one of those disappointed people. I see how the boosters could have tricked a few people a hundred years ago but now no one has an excuse. If anyone wants to find out if we're like NYC all they have to do is Google "Atlanta skyline". Wikipedia has everything they could want to know.

I agree completely that the comparisons to NYC, Chicago et cetera are ridiculous. However, in my experience the ones currently making the comparisons are not locals.

Old 07-22-2013, 09:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeP View Post
Damn, someone tries to help you with your very general questions and you respond with this??
I capitalized the word you because the person I was responding to has personal experience with it. I was just providing emphasis. They weren't my questions either so don't try to make it sound like that.

Old 07-22-2013, 09:36 AM

1,637 posts, read 2,261,694 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by joey86 View Post
I'm not mad at you. I would like to hear your own experience since you are one of those disappointed people. I see how the boosters could have tricked a few people a hundred years ago but now no one has an excuse. If anyone wants to find out if we're like NYC all they have to do is Google "Atlanta skyline". Wikipedia has everything they could want to know.

I agree completely that the comparisons to NYC, Chicago et cetera are ridiculous. However, in my experience the ones currently making the comparisons are not locals.
It isn't about that. They aren't happy with their lives so they bring negativity on here. You do not see me in other city forums badmouthing their city. I could make hundreds of post daily stating that California beaches are boring because the water is cold, NYC is dirty, South Dakota is boring, it's too hot in Vegas, Chicago is dangerous, Boston is too cold and it isn't diverse, San Fran weather is too cold in the summer, etc but I do not do that because I have a happy life. When people arent happy with their life their negativity spills out in other areas.

Last edited by gerrythesnake; 07-22-2013 at 09:48 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta