Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-22-2013, 09:32 PM

7,132 posts, read 9,135,673 times

Advertisements

I keep hearing from people that the Westside is 'set to explode' over the next few years, but why?? I don't get the appeal to developers to develop a corridor that lacks any sort of transit, but buses. I've already been hearing that this area is becoming traffic ridden... It's a decent neighborhood, but without transit, it seems counter intuitive...you drive there and then walk around...basically, it's a neighborhood trying to be walkable, but still auto-oriented lol.

Anyways, yeah...thought maybe we could get a discussion on this area.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-22-2013, 09:48 PM

858 posts, read 1,385,309 times
I've wondered the same myself. It's not too easy to get there by car either, but I guess with the land being so cheap and its proximity to Buckhead the retailers don't need to be easily accessible to turn a profit.

I do wonder why people want to live there now, but I thank them for it, because they're the reason it will (sooner or later) become a well-developed and easily accessible neighborhood. For now, though, it's just a hard-to-get-to, dismal, industrial mess with a few good stores and restaurants peppered around.

Old 07-22-2013, 09:53 PM

37,881 posts, read 41,948,981 times
Grant Park doesn't have MARTA access either; that has stopped anything.

Old 07-22-2013, 09:56 PM

1,637 posts, read 2,630,254 times
IMO it is a good place to live if you can't afford to move to Midtown, it has great views of the Atlanta skyline, you are close to the city without living in the city, etc

Old 07-22-2013, 10:28 PM

7,132 posts, read 9,135,673 times
It's just strange to me that this area is still getting a lot of development like Elan Westside, but the Edgewood Ave. corridor right outside of downtown hasn't really gotten any. That area is not only in a cohesive urban environment and connected directly to the core, but it has MARTA and a streetcar coming to the neighborhood, but we have yet to hear of ANY new big developments in that area. Hell, if they were to fix that neighborhood up, I might want to live there in 5-10 years.

Old 07-22-2013, 11:36 PM

439 posts, read 852,694 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ant131531 View Post
I keep hearing from people that the Westside is 'set to explode' over the next few years, but why?? I don't get the appeal to developers to develop a corridor that lacks any sort of transit, but buses. I've already been hearing that this area is becoming traffic ridden... It's a decent neighborhood, but without transit, it seems counter intuitive...you drive there and then walk around...basically, it's a neighborhood trying to be walkable, but still auto-oriented lol.

Anyways, yeah...thought maybe we could get a discussion on this area.

It is called 'brash boosterism'. Has been applied to Terminus since 1893. Look it up. It may enlighten on why Atlanta city dwellers fabrications usually 'stick' with the local populace.

Old 07-23-2013, 05:56 AM

298 posts, read 373,823 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ant131531 View Post
It's just strange to me that this area is still getting a lot of development like Elan Westside, but the Edgewood Ave. corridor right outside of downtown hasn't really gotten any. That area is not only in a cohesive urban environment and connected directly to the core, but it has MARTA and a streetcar coming to the neighborhood, but we have yet to hear of ANY new big developments in that area. Hell, if they were to fix that neighborhood up, I might want to live there in 5-10 years.
I think you have to look at each area distinctively. The Westside has / had larger, underused lots ready for development with little in the way of obstacles and despite its ramshackle appearance in certain areas, tends to be a bit more well off and separated from "rough" neighborhoods. They've had proven success with retail, restaurants, and other recent residential developments so its inherently less risk. When you look at the Edgewood corridor however, you have a few obstacles currently in your way. One, there's not a lot of huge lots ready for large scale multi-family development. There are a few, just not a lot, and some redevelopments have been hampered by historical preservationist. There's also an element still found around Edgewood that makes developers a little cautious and how the Auburn Glenn Apartments have turned out probably doesn't provide a lot of confidence to would-be developers.

It will definitely come though, because as you mentioned there's too many positives for the neighborhood.

Old 07-23-2013, 06:25 AM

23,726 posts, read 24,863,148 times
The Westside is convenient to national-chain retailers and grocery stores at Atlantic Station, eg: Publix, Target, IKEA, etc. Its a lot like the Pearl District in Portland, except the streetcar. Warehouses turned into lofts, art galleries, restaurants and now there is a lot of new apartment construction.

Old 07-23-2013, 07:02 AM

63 posts, read 79,643 times
I'll add that the Westside has some older industrial buildings that make for interesting commercial/residential space and there have been some developers willing to make an effort to work with what is already there - a departure from a long history of bulldozing as the first option. The obvious is White Provisions/Jamestown, but there have been others.

Plus....Northside Tavern!!

Old 07-23-2013, 08:20 AM

1,478 posts, read 1,724,830 times
I've always thought the Westside is similar in appearance to Castleberry Hill - lots of empty warehouses, lofts, etc. Except, I think Castleberry Hill has the infrastructure - street grid, transportation access, and pedestrian friendliness - that should have made THAT neighborhood the hip/trendy place that the westside has become. Unfortunately, Castleberry Hill is located downtown, which is seen as less desirable. I'm not saying that I don't like what the Westside is becoming, it's obviously great for that area, but I think infrastructure is going to end up holding it back, which wouldn't have happened if all this development was in Castleberry Hill.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta