U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-22-2013, 11:22 PM

5 posts, read 6,400 times

Advertisements

Hi I will be moving to Atlanta soon and need to find a rental home ASAP. My price range is up to $1100.00/ Good Credit. I am looking to live in a safe neighborhood and good school district. I have a 10 year old son who enjoys Football/Track.

Last edited by CB10; 07-22-2013 at 11:50 PM..
Rate this post positively Quick reply to this message

Old 07-23-2013, 01:04 AM

9,293 posts, read 8,596,025 times
There's a HUGE difference between Marietta in the very busy and often severely-congested I-75/I-575 Northwest Corridor in Cobb County in Northwest Metro Atlanta and Lawrenceville in the very busy and often severely-congested I-85/GA 316 Northeast Corridor in Northeast Metro Atlanta.

There's also a significant distance between Marietta and Lawrenceville (like roughly 40 miles between Downtown Marietta and Downtown Lawrenceville).

There are some EXCELLENT schools to be found around both areas (which are much more expansive in land area than many newcomers seem to think when the unincorporated areas are figured in).

I don't know where you will be commuting to and from for work, but in Metro Atlanta, relocation decisions should always be made with the location of your workplace in mind so as to attempt as much as possible to minimize the effects of your commutes to and from work during peak hours when traffic is heaviest (particularly during Metro Atlanta's notorious morning and evening rush hour commutes).

Safe neighborhoods and good schools can be found throughout much of the metro area, it would greatly help us to help you if you kept in mind which part of the metro area (town name or zip code) you will be working in so that we can help to point you in the right direction so as to help minimize your commute, particularly if you must commute during rush hour.

Old 07-23-2013, 05:22 AM

3,972 posts, read 11,864,638 times
where is your job? Those are two fairly different locations. You should narrow in on a place that gives you as easy of a commute as you can find.

Old 07-23-2013, 10:28 AM

5 posts, read 6,400 times
Thank for responding. I mainly work from home but at times I will commute to the airport or Marietta and Decatur for consulting. I would like to be in a more kid-friendly environment for my 10 year old son.
[SIZE=3] [/SIZE]

Old 07-23-2013, 12:14 PM

924 posts, read 1,311,026 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CB10 View Post
Thank for responding. I mainly work from home but at times I will commute to the airport or Marietta and Decatur for consulting. I would like to be in a more kid-friendly environment for my 10 year old son.
[SIZE=3] [/SIZE]
Marietta is going to be more convenient to the airport than Lawrenceville is so I would recommend staying there. Generally the school districts in East Cobb are better than the actual city of Marietta itself. I would start by looking in the Sprayberry/Pope/Kell/Kennesaw Mountain school districts for a combination of good schools in areas that you can afford at $1100 a month.

Old 07-23-2013, 06:50 PM

9,293 posts, read 8,596,025 times
A second vote here for Marietta, as well.

With you having to commute to and from either the Airport, Marietta and/or Decatur at times, as a location out the I-85 Northeast in Gwinnett County, Lawrenceville is an outlier in relation to the three locations that you will commuting to and from.

Marietta is likely the most logical location that you could live as a commute to and from your place of work in Marietta would be a piece of cake, a commute to and from the Airport area would be relatively easy (by Atlanta standards) by way of the West Wall of the I-285 Perimeter, leaving only the commute to and from Decatur as a meaningful challenge during rush hour.

Living in Lawrenceville, your commute to and from all three locations would likely be somewhat of a challenge during rush hour.

Building on top of and incorporating what westau recommended, the best places for you to look would be in the feeder zones that were recommended in westau's post (in the feeder zones for Sprayberry, Pope and Kell high schools in East Cobb County and in the Kennesaw Mountain feeder zone in West Cobb County).

In addition to those places, you could also look to see if you could find anything in the price range you like in the feeder zones for Lassiter, Walton and Wheeler high schools in East Cobb County and in the feeder zones for Hillgrove and Harrison high schools.

Like westau stated, the schools in East Cobb (and in West Cobb) are generally better than in the City of Marietta itself, which is a good urban school district in its own right, but does not necessarily get viewed in as high of a regard as the schools in both East Cobb and West Cobb because the City of Marietta school district has a really high population of transient families.

Though it should be noted that, as the oldest high school in Cobb County, Marietta High School has much history and tradition (the Marietta Blue Devils high school football team plays in historic Northcutt Stadium which dates back to the World War I era).

With your son's interest in football and track, it should also be noted Marietta High School has a football program that is on the rise and a track program that is competitive (a track program that is used to develop the increasing speed and athleticism that is found in the rising football program).

Very competitive to strong football programs can also be found at the other aforementioned high schools of Lassiter, Walton, Kell, Pope, Hillgrove, Wheeler, Harrison and Sprayberry as well as at other quality area high schools not mentioned such as North Cobb, Allatoona and McEachern.

To help you, here are the listings for rental homes, apartments and townhomes for $1100 per month and under in the Homefinder section of the Atlanta Journal-Construction. The search parameters are set for rentals in Cobb County, but other locations throughout the metro area outside of Cobb have come up as well. You can carefully go through them and see if you can find anything you like in a desirable area.
Cobb County GA Homes for rentals | Atlanta Journal Constitution
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

>