Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-05-2013, 10:17 PM

10 posts, read 18,761 times

Advertisements

Just a thought...

After tearing down the Atlanta-Fulton stadium it would have made more sense to build Turner Field in or around Centennial Olympic/The Dome. The increased foot traffic, access to public transportation and skyline backdrop would make going to the games more enjoyable in my opinion. Most of the other major cities I've visited have the right idea, but Turner Field just feels out of place...

PNC Park, Pittsburgh

AT&T Park, San Francisco

Busch Stadium, St. Louis

Turner Field, 1.5 miles from downtown

Thoughts?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-05-2013, 10:29 PM

7,582 posts, read 10,772,636 times
I understand some of the issues... which I hope to be fixed with new development of the parking lots in the future, however baseball stadiums have commonly been placed away from downtowns in more neighborhood areas. (ie Chicago, NY, etc...)

We don't have any old industrial tracks on a water way overlooking downtown or a large bay to make make use of.

There is no space immediately around Centennial Park.

The other thing is I think Turner Field is a nice stadium. It is designed well to make revenue and offer amenities to guest. It also will always have the history of having been the Olympic Stadium.

I think our efforts would be best spent on how to build onto the neighborhood that connects it to downtown in a fun, vibrant way.

Old 07-05-2013, 10:46 PM

5,845 posts, read 6,157,618 times
This discussion pops up from time to time.

The solution? Get a giant crane and move the Ted next to the Falcons' future stadium.

OK, so maybe that won't work. How about develop the area and consider building a new MARTA line out in that direction.

Old 07-05-2013, 11:30 PM

2,590 posts, read 4,531,911 times
It wouldn't be all that bad if the surrounding area would ever improve...they've been waiting on that for 47 years...
Summerhill and Mechanicsville could be amazing neighborhoods if the city would ever invest in them. There's no reason why about a half dozen sports bars can't be supported near the stadium other than Braves fans are afraid of the area. And I heard that the city(or Braves, didn't really look deep into it) is hassling vendors near the stadium...that's completely the wrong direction if they want to improve the scene.

It's really not terribly far from downtown and the Ga State Marta station but again, the area leaves much to be desired and it's not the most inviting walk late at night, even with a big crowd.

One plus about the location: ample parking.

Old 07-05-2013, 11:37 PM

16,701 posts, read 29,526,453 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cwkimbro View Post
The other thing is I think Turner Field is a nice stadium. It is designed well to make revenue and offer amenities to guest. It also will always have the history of having been the Olympic Stadium.

I think our efforts would be best spent on how to build onto the neighborhood that connects it to downtown in a fun, vibrant way.

This.

And rename it Turner Park at Summerhill.
(Turner Field at Summerhill just wouldn't sound right)

Old 07-05-2013, 11:49 PM

7,358 posts, read 6,527,927 times
They could easily put a baseball stadium on the south site of the new Falcons boondoggle, which would actually have real benefits. Hopefully the Falcons deal gets derailed, and someone with real pull will seriously suggest a new baseball stadium near all of Atlanta's other sports venues.

Old 07-06-2013, 11:35 AM

8,486 posts, read 14,999,411 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flint1908 View Post
Just a thought...

After tearing down the Atlanta-Fulton stadium it would have made more sense to build Turner Field in or around Centennial Olympic/The Dom

Thoughts?
You do understand that Turner Field was built before Atlanta-Fulton County stadium was torn down and began life as the much larger 100,000+ seat Olympic stadium, right?

It had to be built where it was because there wasn't anywhere else in Downtown to put it. I don't disagree more needs to be done to integrate it in to the surrounding neighborhoods, but where it is located makes a lot of sense.

Old 07-06-2013, 12:33 PM

924 posts, read 1,456,274 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MattCW View Post
They could easily put a baseball stadium on the south site of the new Falcons boondoggle, which would actually have real benefits. Hopefully the Falcons deal gets derailed, and someone with real pull will seriously suggest a new baseball stadium near all of Atlanta's other sports venues.
If somehow the Falcons deal gets derailed the Falcons won't be downtown anymore and will end up in the suburbs somewhere.

Old 07-06-2013, 01:38 PM

6,503 posts, read 6,121,383 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by waronxmas View Post
You do understand that Turner Field was built before Atlanta-Fulton County stadium was torn down and began life as the much larger 100,000+ seat Olympic stadium, right?

It had to be built where it was because there wasn't anywhere else in Downtown to put it. I don't disagree more needs to be done to integrate it in to the surrounding neighborhoods, but where it is located makes a lot of sense.
Not to nitpick, but Olympic Stadium only held 85,000 before conversion.

And the only reason it was put in AFCS' old south parking lot was a matter of convenience and the cheap way out, that while fiscally responsible, didn't really take the long term health of Summerhill/Peoplestown into account.

Fortunately the parking lots are ripe for development, so it is likely that new projects will be considered for the Turner Field area.

Old 07-06-2013, 03:34 PM

13,709 posts, read 21,924,564 times
There are people alive who don't know Turner Field was Olympic Stadium? Good grief ... how depressing. Do people ever GOOGLE or WIKI search things before they post on C-D?!

"Atlanta hosted the Olympics? When? I didn't know about it ..."

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta