Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-10-2007, 10:41 AM

4 posts, read 16,119 times

Advertisements

Hello
I have recently moved to Atlanta from S. FL and have decided that I would like to teach in Atlanta. I would be a first year teacher with no experience teaching. I am applying to sub in Dekalb and Fulton County. But my ultimate goal is to teach full time as an High School English teacher.

Would I have to wait until the next school year to begin teaching full time?
Is it possible to sub every day in Fulton County or Dekalb?
I am from S. FL and the need for teachers is great but I am not sure if there is such an urgency in the Atlanta area.

Any help and/or insight would be great!
TIA
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-10-2007, 12:47 PM

4,586 posts, read 7,708,686 times
Unless their a mid year vacancy, yea, you will have to wait until the next hiring round. Atleast, that's what I've seen with my classmates at GSU who are about to graduate in the fall.

Depending on the school, you could become the primary sub if they don't have one but you might not work every day which could be a problem....

Old 11-10-2007, 03:18 PM

3,972 posts, read 12,659,327 times
It is possible in certain fields, but I am not sure high school English is one of them. Any job that opens will most likely (but not certainly) be in a poor performing school--though DeKalb has one that was posted at Lakeside High (though posted Oct 1) there are also there other ones that were posted this week.

Do you have your credentials in order? Are you "highly qualified" or would you need to be provisional? Do you have a teaching certificate? If not, the road is much harder even for next year, as English is not a high needs area.

Old 11-10-2007, 04:01 PM

From the looks of things I would need to be provisional. I have an English Lit degree but not an english education degree. From what I have looked into I think the best route for me to go would be to try and join the Georgia Tapp program.

I am submitting my information so that I can become a substitute teacher so that I can become more familiar with the Georgia school system. My only issue is that I would like to sub full time and I would like to know more information if that is possible.

Thanks for the replies!

Old 11-10-2007, 04:40 PM

3,972 posts, read 12,659,327 times
Dekalb has selected its' subs for its current training. Currently they are not hiring, but will again soon. You may be able to slide in by contacting human resources and mentioning that you are willing to do long term subbing. You will need to call them -- unless you have already submitted an application, because the sub position is not posted at this point.

Old 11-11-2007, 05:50 PM

5 posts, read 22,848 times
Default mid year teaching

Do you speak Spanish or have a minor in Spanish? I teach and I know a school that needs a long term sub for a Spanish teacher. The teacher is about to go on maternity leave and they need someone early December. English is not a shortage area but foreign language is.

Old 11-11-2007, 08:24 PM

563 posts, read 2,773,625 times
I began teaching mid year seven years ago....but times are different now thanks to NCLB.

My suggestion to you is to apply for a supply teacher (those are the teachers that are long-term subs for those out on maternity leave, sabbaticals, etc) position in the county you are most interested in. Between now and the upcoming school year, do what you need to do to get a clear renewable teaching certificate.

Good luck.

Old 11-11-2007, 10:39 PM

Thank you so much for all the information!

Amycole I am not fluent in Spanish enough to teach it.

DoveDiva I had no idea what the supply teacher meant so thanks for the clarification and I am now trying to get everything done so that I can be eligible for next year.

Does anyone know of anybody that has had success in the Georgia TAPP program?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
View detailed profiles of: