Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-27-2013, 11:44 PM

421 posts, read 749,660 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mutiny77 View Post
Uhhh, no. While an important asset to the region (even with some mismanagement), it's not the reason why Atlanta is the dominant force within the Southeast that it is. Houston and Miami are both larger than Atlanta and have nothing like MARTA.
Miami is not. If it is not by any significant number.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-27-2013, 11:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by arjay57 View Post
Gee, that's an awfully dismissive comment. In fact I don't "whine about pretty much everything."

However, I do have an interest in how our tax dollars are spent. I just chipped in another $350 to MARTA a couple of days ago and would strongly prefer that the money go to transit instead of pat-on-the-back video productions.

It's clear to anyone who's paying attention to the real world that often public funds are spent on unwise, frivolous, unnecessary and frequently downright stupid things.

I happen to believe that a beleaguered state agency like MARTA ought to be focusing 100% of its attention and resources on providing cost efficient transit rather than making self-aggrandizing promotional videos.

Now, I made this observation without insulting you or anyone else. It's puzzling why you consider it appropriate to respond with belittling and dismissive remarks.
How on earth is an agency supposed to do any sort of promotion without spending any tax dollars?

How are people supposed know about stuff without ads?

Old 07-27-2013, 11:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gtcorndog View Post
Well, since it isn't a BIG waste, the low level waste should be tolerated.

Good logic.
How on earth is an agency supposed to do any sort of promotion without spending any tax dollars?

Old 07-28-2013, 01:23 AM

7,132 posts, read 9,135,673 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by westau View Post
You make that sound like a bad thing. I like Charlotte and Nashville.
That's terrible, especially Charlotte. Ewwww.

Old 07-28-2013, 07:40 AM

10,744 posts, read 13,386,955 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Freeminds View Post
Why on earth does this agency need to do any promotion at all? It's not as if MARTA is some secret for heavens sake. Seen all the buses and trains lately? This promotional thing is a waste of your and my tax dollars.

Old 07-28-2013, 07:55 AM

858 posts, read 1,385,459 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnsleyPark View Post
Why on earth does this agency need to do any promotion at all? It's not as if MARTA is some secret for heavens sake.
Right. Because they promote it. If anything they need to be promoting it more.

I'd offer to chip in your share of the cost, but they don't make coins that small

Old 07-28-2013, 08:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnsleyPark View Post
Why on earth does this agency need to do any promotion at all? It's not as if MARTA is some secret for heavens sake. Seen all the buses and trains lately? This promotional thing is a waste of your and my tax dollars.
It's not a secret because its been promoted.

Old 07-28-2013, 08:58 AM

32,025 posts, read 36,788,671 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Freeminds View Post
They're not supposed to do "promotions."

MARTA is a state agency charged with providing rail and bus transit in Fulton and DeKalb counties. That's their job, period.

Spending taxpayer money to create "ain't-we-something?" videos doesn't have jack to do with the MARTA's statutory mission.

Old 07-28-2013, 10:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by arjay57 View Post
They're not supposed to do "promotions."

MARTA is a state agency charged with providing rail and bus transit in Fulton and DeKalb counties. That's their job, period.

Spending taxpayer money to create "ain't-we-something?" videos doesn't have jack to do with the MARTA's statutory mission.
So how are people supposed to be aware of what the service offers and how it can assist them?

By your logic the government should never announce any of its service to those it might benefit them as tax payers.

Old 07-28-2013, 10:10 AM

Also, did you guys know that Marta gets money from rider fees too? Did you know that advertsing might help it gain revenue by encouraging riders who all have to pay to rude anyway?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta