Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-27-2013, 07:52 AM

1,050 posts, read 1,691,369 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by LovinDecatur View Post
I'm not understanding something here. How does someone whose views are out of the mainstream win the popular vote?
You are only outside of the "mainstream" if you are on the right.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-27-2013, 08:40 AM

32,025 posts, read 36,788,671 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Born 2 Roll View Post
With Georgia Democrats effectively having no money and no statewide organization at this point (the Democratic Party of Georgia only had $15,000 total in the bank according to the most-recent reports...an amount that pales in comparison to the MILLIONS of dollars that Georgia Republicans have stockpiled for statewide contests), that 46-47% is effectively the very upper limit of what the Democrats can receive in a statewide contest at this point.
That's probably true. The Dems will need to put a candidate with statewide appeal.

It's likely they can more easily solve their money issues, however. There are plenty of wealthy Democrats who will fork out the big bucks if they believe there's a realistic chance of winning.

Old 07-27-2013, 09:40 AM

630 posts, read 1,265,220 times
Quote:
I'm not understanding something here. How does someone whose views are out of the mainstream win the popular vote?
Well, first of all Paul Broun, Phil Gingrey and Jack Kingston have never won the statewide popular vote. They've only won in their respective districts. Not all of Georgia is as conservative as their districts.

Paul Broun "Evolution is lies from the pit of hell." Mainstream?

Phil Gingrey on Todd Akin "He's partly right" Mainstream?

I guess mainstream is subjective and there are a few places where those views are the norm, but I'd like to think that Georgia is living in the 21st century.

Old 07-27-2013, 10:32 AM

23,463 posts, read 44,090,617 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by workaholics View Post
Well, first of all Paul Broun, Phil Gingrey and Jack Kingston have never won the statewide popular vote. They've only won in their respective districts. Not all of Georgia is as conservative as their districts.

Paul Broun "Evolution is lies from the pit of hell." Mainstream?

I guess mainstream is subjective and there are a few places where those views are the norm, but I'd like to think that Georgia is living in the 21st century.
And our governor is? And our Senators are? Get a grip.

Old 07-27-2013, 10:34 AM

32,025 posts, read 36,788,671 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by workaholics View Post
Well, as a practicing OB/GYN wouldn't Gingrey know how a woman's body works?

And how can you argue with his proposal to add basic gender education classes to elementary school, so that boys can be taught to be boys and girls can be trained to be girls?

Old 07-27-2013, 01:00 PM

Quote:
And our governor is? And our Senators are? Get a grip.
I never said anything about Deal, Chambliss or Isakson. I was speaking specifically about the Republican candidates in the senate race. I voted for Johnny Isakson so please stop assuming that I'm bashing every single Republican in Georgia. I simply have issues with folks like Paul Broun and his crazy ideas.

Old 07-27-2013, 01:50 PM

5,110 posts, read 7,140,512 times
Quote:
And how can you argue with his proposal to add basic gender education classes to elementary school, so that boys can be taught to be boys and girls can be trained to be girls?
You can argue it because what he means is some absurd good ol' days out his imagination, not real responsible education. He's nuts and sadly there's not difference between him or the other good ol boys running in that primary.

Old 07-27-2013, 07:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by arjay57 View Post
Well, as a practicing OB/GYN wouldn't Gingrey know how a woman's body works?

I hope you're being sarcastic. .

Old 07-27-2013, 07:36 PM

Ok, now I see what you're referring to

Phil Gingrey calls for elementary school class on gender roles | Political Insider | www.ajc.com

Wow. And this is what I'm talking about. Maybe most Georgians are ok with this awful attempt to mandate gender roles (wow, Republicans sure do hate 'big government') but I'd wager most would think this is a step too far.

One more reason to donate to Nunn's campaign.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta