Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-31-2013, 08:46 AM

16,212 posts, read 10,826,104 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by belleislerunner View Post
I would argue that Ford is probably recruiting at Clark and other HBU's because graduates of those colleges aren't as put off by living in Detroit as a graduate of Pepperdine University in Santa Monica might be. GA Tech and Purdue have always been hotbeds for Big Three recruitment. Atlanta and Detroit are actually pretty comparable cities - cores of 500-700K people, metros of 5+ million people, massive airports, segregated suburbs, extreme wealth and extreme proverty etc. As far as I see it, the only trade offs are Detroit has waterfront and Atlanta has sun.
Many of you may not want to admit it, but this is true. I've lived in Detroit and on the whole it is not that much different than Atlanta except it has the waterfront, and of course isn't in the financial mess that Detroit is in.

Ford also is probably doing recruitment at CAU in order to get a more diverse pool of candidates. They do have a business department there and even though some on this board have a bias against CAU, I don't understand why you would think that Ford wouldn't want to do recruitment there it is an accredited university and an HBCU so Ford would have access to diverse graduates. Also like the PP mentioned, many of them would more than likely be willing to move to the Detroit area versus others who have their own opinion about Detroit based on the city's financial woes. There are a lot of great suburbs in the SE Michigan area and the downtown area of Detroit was already making a comeback before the bankruptcy filing situation.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-31-2013, 09:05 AM

1,637 posts, read 2,630,968 times
This is the Atlanta forum. We do not care about Detoilet on here. If you think that city is so great im sure they will have 1000s of people lined up ready to move there.

Old 07-31-2013, 09:21 AM

16,212 posts, read 10,826,104 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gerrythesnake View Post
This is the Atlanta forum. We do not care about Detoilet on here. If you think that city is so great im sure they will have 1000s of people lined up ready to move there.
I live in Atlanta proper so I know where I am. I don't think that either Detroit or Atlanta are all that great but I do feel Atlanta has the edge over Detroit, but both share similarities such as those than the PP mentioned.

Too bad you don't care about other cities. Someone posted this thread about Ford recruiting here in Atlanta and Ford is in metro Detroit, so if you have a problem with people speaking of the city that many recruited GT and CAU grads may relocate to, you should take it up with the OP.

Old 07-31-2013, 10:24 AM

38 posts, read 62,825 times
Ford has been a good supporter of HBCU's. At one point they did the HBCU Business Classic scholarship program, so I'd like to think they are familiar with CAU.

Old 07-31-2013, 12:37 PM

280 posts, read 389,807 times
Overall, I think people underestimate the positive impact of Morehouse, Spellman and CAU on the city beyond the African American community. Many people don't know that CAU has PhD programs in Biology and Chemistry and small, but very good, masters level programs in engineering, applied math, and computer science. Given the overall strength of the Atlanta scientific community, they are able to recruit a good faculty and have a large enough overall research (external and internal) funding base (~17 million in 2010) to make an impact.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
View detailed profiles of: