Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-30-2013, 09:22 PM

9,008 posts, read 14,057,844 times

Advertisements

Quote:
I doubt that anywhere outside the perimeter can compare.
Well, you may be right. Morningside is a pretty tough standard to live up to.

But I think you're realizing a pretty common issue: priced out of town.

Is it possible to live intown on your budget? Sure, of course it is. As you're seeing, though, the question is if the sacrifice is worth it. Yeah, you could live in a one bedroom. Or risk your bike getting stolen. Or any number of other sacrifices. Does it make more sense to make some of them, or try a location that might not be as ideal?

I was going to be priced out of town eventually. The 1-bedroom 850 square foot apartment I rented for $765 in 2002 right in the middle of the rental crash gradually went up in price year after year. When I moved out in 2009, I think I was paying $900, it may have been $950, I can't quite remember. You can't get a 1-bedroom, even with less space, in the same complex for under $1140 today. So even if I hadn't decided to buy, I still would have been priced out of the rental game. Maybe not in sheer math, but in principle I refuse to pay that much for such little space when I have no ownership of it.

The rent boom is probably not going to stop any time soon. We are turning into a "renter nation" and that will continue before it turns around. The good thing is rentals outside the urban core have not been affected nearly as badly. The other good news is that when rents crash, they crash hard and fast. The pendulum will swing back again, it always does.... but you need a place now and can't wait the 10 years it will probably take.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-31-2013, 05:50 AM

23,463 posts, read 44,090,617 times
Have you checked out neighboring Woodland Hills? Great location, but because the houses are more modest than Morningside the rents tend to be cheaper.

Old 07-31-2013, 06:03 AM

2,281 posts, read 3,034,947 times
I have not driven through Woodland lately. We drove through a few streets in Lindridge-Martin Manor instead and didn't really see anything. I have seen 1 or 2 places listed in woodland, but one of them is asking for ridiculous rent (50% more than we are currently paying for a smaller place).

Since my gf is between jobs (she is starting her new one next month), we felt that trying to buy right now would be a bad idea until we are sure that her employment is stable.

Old 07-31-2013, 06:35 AM

10,744 posts, read 13,386,955 times
Have you investigated Lenox Park?

Old 07-31-2013, 09:41 AM

AnsleyPark,

Please excuse my mangling of the nomenclature. I have always considered Morningside and Lenox Park to be the same neighborhood (subdivision?). Even though the southern half of that area is technically not a part of historical Lenox Park. Semantically speaking, my current residence is inside Lenox Park (my street is maybe a dozen yards inside one of the brick 'Lenox Park' markers.

I have not finished canvassing all of the side streets in the neighborhood yet, but so far I haven't found anything suitable. There are 1 or 2 homes that used to have rent signs up weeks ago that have since begun renovations.... so it might be worth dropping by those houses again.

I'd absolutely love to remain in Lenox Park, though. Just about anywhere else in the neighborhood would give me a shorter bike ride to the park.

Old 07-31-2013, 10:13 AM

10,744 posts, read 13,386,955 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tarzanman View Post
AnsleyPark,

Please excuse my mangling of the nomenclature. I have always considered Morningside and Lenox Park to be the same neighborhood (subdivision?). Even though the southern half of that area is technically not a part of historical Lenox Park. Semantically speaking, my current residence is inside Lenox Park (my street is maybe a dozen yards inside one of the brick 'Lenox Park' markers.

I have not finished canvassing all of the side streets in the neighborhood yet, but so far I haven't found anything suitable. There are 1 or 2 homes that used to have rent signs up weeks ago that have since begun renovations.... so it might be worth dropping by those houses again.

I'd absolutely love to remain in Lenox Park, though. Just about anywhere else in the neighborhood would give me a shorter bike ride to the park.
You may very well be right about the two being the same neighborhood. I loved living in Morningside in the early 90s. What a terrific neighborhood! Hoping that you find something suitable for you!

Old 08-10-2016, 01:57 PM

Here's an overdue update. We ended up renting a place in Norcross about 1.2 miles from Thrasher park (I jog there and back for exercise sometimes). We were lucky enough to find a 3br, 2.5 bath for very close to our target for rent.

Unfortunately my wife got laid off after we had been living there for about 3 months! Year later, we are still in the area. My wife eventually wants to buy in Peachtree Corners.

Old 08-10-2016, 02:18 PM

9,008 posts, read 14,057,844 times
Sounds like you guys like it if you are thinking about buying there.

Intown is great, but there are also plenty of great places OTP.

Old 08-10-2016, 03:33 PM

333 posts, read 388,163 times
Hi.

I glanced over the comments, but didn't see this suggestion. Can you buy the property where you live? You might get first priority versus putting it on the market. You are the current tenant, so you know the property's condition. Might be more affordable than you think. And believe me, the inventory of nice homes in Metro Atlanta is so scarce.

No money saved for the down payment? Google Down Payment Assistance.

Thanks

Old 08-10-2016, 03:45 PM

9,829 posts, read 7,262,857 times
The Lenox Park that I know of, is north of Morningside, straddling the county line and the border between Atlanta and Brookhaven:

https://www.google.com/maps/place/Le...!4d-84.3450022

Anyway you should be able to afford to rent an apartment in this Lenox Park, and it should be not bad on either of your commutes. Also only a 1/2 mile walk to MARTA.

EDIT: LOL, sorry, didn't see the date on this thread.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta