Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-07-2013, 09:37 PM

9 posts, read 17,605 times

Advertisements

You guys are great and making me feel not so alone right about now. Thank you for helping.

That's an interesting idea about the cyber learning within the brick and mortar school. I never really thought about the level of expertise the teacher would need to teach one child all subjects (he's testing beyond high school for GA on the stanford) and to keep him interested. He had only two teachers last year. Where he really needs a skilled and consistent person to help him is with his frustration and emotional regulation. We have been hoping for a parapro skilled in aspergers and no more than two different teachers, and small class size, and reduced school day (to start). Sounds like a lot, I know.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-08-2013, 03:57 AM

550 posts, read 987,190 times
I would strongly encourage you to go to the Davidson 2e forum--there are parents who may have some really good ideas on how to make it work and how to get the school to cooperate.

Old 08-08-2013, 05:20 AM

I looked into the test scores needed for the application (Davidson gifted) for assistance and my son falls below the range they are looking at...he is in the the 90th percentile, not 99.9th, unfortunately. I also read that they take other factors into consideration but would extreme low emotional maturity count? Didn't sound like a fit...not sure...my son is best described as a very bright child with the emotional regulation of around a 5 year old. But I will look into the forum at least.

Old 08-08-2013, 05:41 AM

3,972 posts, read 12,636,877 times
Have you spoken to the folks at the Marcus Autism Center? I know they offer some programs in the summer, not sure of their offerings during the school year, but if they have something there, you could seek placement at system's cost. (I suspect your advocate would be aware so they probably don't have anything, but you never know.

do you have a private school in mind that would work for your child? It is possible that you might be able to negotiate private placement at public expense, especially if you are willing to share the costs and provide transportation.

In GA, the 90th percentile is not really considered gifted. Has your child already been labeled as such in public school system? (Just wanted to warn you that this can complicate some of your challenges.)

I am the mother of a 2e child but he could function in a regular classroom. Getting the appropriate services for him was challenging and it was a much easier situation than yours.

Old 08-08-2013, 06:24 AM

550 posts, read 987,190 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by amused8 View Post
I looked into the test scores needed for the application (Davidson gifted) for assistance and my son falls below the range they are looking at...he is in the the 90th percentile, not 99.9th, unfortunately. I also read that they take other factors into consideration but would extreme low emotional maturity count? Didn't sound like a fit...not sure...my son is best described as a very bright child with the emotional regulation of around a 5 year old. But I will look into the forum at least.
There are people who post there whose kids don't have DYS scores. I don't think it would be useful to apply to DYS, but someone on the forum may be able to point you in the right direction or give you some ideas.

Old 08-08-2013, 04:10 PM

Does anyone know what a Georgia GNET is or Psychoed Centers is? This term keeps coming up in discussions and I'm hearing not very good things about these facilities. Anyone have actual experience with them?

Also, how do I post a new thread or post. I'm new here.

Thanks!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
View detailed profiles of: