Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-28-2013, 08:08 PM

4,768 posts, read 5,439,118 times

Advertisements

As I was going to get a Zip Car off Decatur street near GSU. I notice they had change the to signs to Flowers, Figueroa, Grand, Wilshire , all City of Los Angeles names. It's just amazing at the amount of movie activity in the City, and also the ability to transform Atlanta to Los Angeles for a movie scene. Anyone have insight into what the name of the movie is ?

Last edited by Atlwarrior; 09-28-2013 at 09:20 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-28-2013, 08:29 PM

9,008 posts, read 14,054,003 times
What a strange testament to the state of the film business that somehow it's easier to transform downtown Atlanta into Los Angeles than to just go shoot it in LA.

They must really be taxing the business out of town.

Old 09-28-2013, 09:19 PM

4,768 posts, read 5,439,118 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ATLTJL View Post
What a strange testament to the state of the film business that somehow it's easier to transform downtown Atlanta into Los Angeles than to just go shoot it in LA.

I was thinking the same thing, it was pretty weird considering LA is the movie capital of the world.

Old 09-28-2013, 09:48 PM

37,881 posts, read 41,933,711 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Atlwarrior View Post
As I was going to get a Zip Car off Decatur street near GSU. I notice they had change the to signs to Flowers, Figueroa, Grand, Wilshire , all City of Los Angeles names. It's just amazing at the amount of movie activity in the City, and also the ability to transform Atlanta to Los Angeles for a movie scene. Anyone have insight into what the name of the movie is ?
More than likely one of these three: "Mockingjay," "Dumb and Dumber 2," "Fast & Furious 7" filming... | The Buzz | www.accessatlanta.com

Pretty sure "Mockingjay" isn't it though.

Old 09-28-2013, 10:39 PM

1,885 posts, read 3,401,567 times
I noticed it yesterday, they were taping late last night around Fairlie Poplar. Honestly, the only reason I was down there was to gauge the depth of Hip Hop Awards/Tomorrowworld spillover downtown, and noticed the lighting, trailers, and food trucks parallel parked alongside the street.

Fortunately, I was nosey enough to ask (out my window) one of the food truck attendants what was being filmed, and she said it was Dumb and Dumber 2.

Old 09-29-2013, 01:03 AM

13,709 posts, read 21,918,229 times
OUCH!

FYI ... there are about a half dozen TV series filmed in Atlanta that are set in California also.

Old 09-29-2013, 08:39 AM

32,021 posts, read 36,777,542 times
Quote:

Great point, ATLTJL.

Sounds like they are killing the goose that laid the golden egg out there.

Old 09-29-2013, 08:50 AM

9,008 posts, read 14,054,003 times
It's a good overall point to keep in mind as this board discusses tax issues.

I know for a fact that the film business is fed up with California because it's just so much bureaucracy and expensive to get anything done there. That's why the business is leaving.

So as we discuss tax issues and eveybody pitching in for the greater good....yeah, that's all well and good, but only up to a certain point. There's such a thing as taxing people out of town, and California is seeing that now. Sure, people will always want to live there becuase of the topography and other features, but the main economic driver is seeking alternatives. We're benefitting from that right now, and it's a stark reminder of what to never allow ourselves to become. Georgia must remain an easy place to do business.

Old 09-29-2013, 08:56 AM

32,021 posts, read 36,777,542 times
Quote:
So as we discuss tax issues and eveybody pitching in for the greater good....yeah, that's all well and good, but only up to a certain point. There's such a thing as taxing people out of town, and California is seeing that now.
No question about it. Many folks in the ATL have already had it up to their eyeballs with taxes and are not in the mood to be hammered with more.

While I'm in favor of transportation infrastructure, in my opinion it needs to be done with user fees, not more generalized taxes.

Old 09-29-2013, 09:03 AM

278 posts, read 1,109,404 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by arjay57 View Post
No question about it. Many folks in the ATL have already had it up to their eyeballs with taxes and are not in the mood to be hammered with more.

While I'm in favor of transportation infrastructure, in my opinion it needs to be done with user fees, not more generalized taxes.
this is all a good example of how lower taxes can increase business.

not to derail the thread, but regarding infrastructure, I think user fees should also apply to all highways. As someone who maybe hits the mass transit called "expressway" why should I pay for others to use through a gas tax? Toll all expressways IMO.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta