Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-12-2013, 08:37 PM

376 posts, read 727,939 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by EdwardA View Post
Many Investment Banks will hire Ivy Liberal Art graduates. The Ivies are like a sorting mechanism for IQ so majors aren't all that important except for super technical fields.
A lot of investment banks aren't that good at it. This might be why. LOL At least the Ivies got real paid though. Got to take care of our Ivies. They deserve it for being the best of the best of the best of all of us. Just some awesome people. Sometimes a knave like me will look up at these kings and try to talk some trash like we somebody too. Then I get humbled.

How smart are Ivies though, if they basically go to a college for the built-in networking? Sounds like they essentially pay to play, buy their success to a certain extent. Now compare that to Steve Jobs and others who did not go to college and I assume had no network to speak of. Who do you admire most? Hmmmmm.

Last edited by BHarrison84; 08-12-2013 at 08:51 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-12-2013, 09:02 PM

16,696 posts, read 29,515,591 times
World University Rankings 2012-2013 - Times Higher Education

GT is #25.

Old 08-12-2013, 09:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by aries4118 View Post
I never saw U. of Colorado - Boulder being no. 91 in the WORLD. Hah. I always thought that was a pothead school. Usually their top 20 is consistent from the various publications who do this, but then after that they just throwing out schools at random.

I knew that I should have gone to the University of Singapore over Clemson. Then I could have been somebody one day.

Old 08-12-2013, 09:37 PM

16,212 posts, read 10,818,108 times
GT is a top MBA program as well in the top 25.

I think GT is an excellent university but in many ways I think that a lot of their students and alumni have a weird attitude like they are so prestigious that no one, especially in the south can touch them. I saw this attitude displayed when I visited the campus and of course gtcorndog displays it as well. I have spoken with Emory and you Don't get that attitude. I equated it with GT being somewhat insecure. I also didn't get this from Univ of Wisconsin whom I met with at a MBA fair. UGA also had staff who were really down to earth and none, not even MIT or Emory mentioned their rank like GT did more than once in their presentation. It was really weird to me.

Also I do think it is not worth one's while or money to attend an Ivy for undergrad unless you are majoring in business where your alma mater will count. Or you are in the top 1 percent of your graduating class so qualify for large scholarships. I have a little cousin in law who was accepted and attends Harvard on a full ride because she was a valedictorian and scored well on the ACT. She also was heavily involved in community service and is a dancer so is well rounded. She is also black so I'm sure people think she got some favoritism for that even with a gpa greater than 5.0 and all her community service.She got into some state schools and other prestigious schools, including Spelman but got a full ride at Harvard so didn't pass that up. Her parents wouldn't let her. All that prestige for free is worth it and many top achievers get some sort of fin aid because a lot of their scholarships are merit based.

For an MBA the school does matter for job prospects. I would only seriously consider GT or Emory here in GA due to that. I know some others have good statistics but I just would take those two over UGA or Mercer or GSU because they have a more solid MBA reputation.

Old 08-12-2013, 10:35 PM

7,112 posts, read 10,131,096 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by residinghere2007 View Post
GT is a top MBA program as well in the top 25.

I think GT is an excellent university but in many ways I think that a lot of their students and alumni have a weird attitude like they are so prestigious that no one, especially in the south can touch them. I saw this attitude displayed when I visited the campus and of course gtcorndog displays it as well. I have spoken with Emory and you Don't get that attitude. I equated it with GT being somewhat insecure. I also didn't get this from Univ of Wisconsin whom I met with at a MBA fair. UGA also had staff who were really down to earth and none, not even MIT or Emory mentioned their rank like GT did more than once in their presentation. It was really weird to me.

Also I do think it is not worth one's while or money to attend an Ivy for undergrad unless you are majoring in business where your alma mater will count. Or you are in the top 1 percent of your graduating class so qualify for large scholarships. I have a little cousin in law who was accepted and attends Harvard on a full ride because she was a valedictorian and scored well on the ACT. She also was heavily involved in community service and is a dancer so is well rounded. She is also black so I'm sure people think she got some favoritism for that even with a gpa greater than 5.0 and all her community service.She got into some state schools and other prestigious schools, including Spelman but got a full ride at Harvard so didn't pass that up. Her parents wouldn't let her. All that prestige for free is worth it and many top achievers get some sort of fin aid because a lot of their scholarships are merit based.

For an MBA the school does matter for job prospects. I would only seriously consider GT or Emory here in GA due to that. I know some others have good statistics but I just would take those two over UGA or Mercer or GSU because they have a more solid MBA reputation.
I understand why schools like to tout their rankings. They do so if they have something to prove.

To me the real measure of a great school is if despite good rankings they never mention them. I mean, does Harvard brag on its web page about how they are ranked? Emory does, and the way GT carries on and brags on its web page is downright embarrassing.

Old 08-12-2013, 10:57 PM

7,112 posts, read 10,131,096 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BHarrison84 View Post
How smart are Ivies though, if they basically go to a college for the built-in networking? Sounds like they essentially pay to play, buy their success to a certain extent. Now compare that to Steve Jobs and others who did not go to college and I assume had no network to speak of. Who do you admire most? Hmmmmm.
Actually, I think the Ivies and others at that level are looking for more than good grades. They are looking for people who they think will be great and people with connections to be great. People like to make fun of George W Bush and his academic record at Yale. But he did become governor and president. Yale was right to admit him.

Bill Gates and Mark Zuckerberg are college dropouts...Harvard dropouts. Harvard was right to admit them too. Steve Jobs attended one semester at Reed College before dropping out. And Steve Jobs took over Apple from Gil Amelio, Georgia Tech BS, MS, and PhD, who nearly drove Apple into the ground and who also infamously said...

Steve Jobs Funniest Joke + Official Biography Link - YouTube

I still remember the email sent out by then President Clough crowing about how a GT grad was taking over as CEO of Apple. Oh well...

Old 08-13-2013, 07:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MathmanMathman View Post
Actually, I think the Ivies and others at that level are looking for more than good grades. They are looking for people who they think will be great and people with connections to be great. People like to make fun of George W Bush and his academic record at Yale. But he did become governor and president. Yale was right to admit him.

Bill Gates and Mark Zuckerberg are college dropouts...Harvard dropouts. Harvard was right to admit them too. Steve Jobs attended one semester at Reed College before dropping out. And Steve Jobs took over Apple from Gil Amelio, Georgia Tech BS, MS, and PhD, who nearly drove Apple into the ground and who also infamously said...

Steve Jobs Funniest Joke + Official Biography Link - YouTube

I still remember the email sent out by then President Clough crowing about how a GT grad was taking over as CEO of Apple. Oh well...
Well the Ivies can afford to be more selective than the large state schools simply because they take a lot less people. State schools have a wider distribution of student types and they give more students who didn't do that great in high school for whatever reason, and a lot of students actually do better in college when they can study what they are interested in.

I have seen a lot of articles in recent years making the case that college doesn't really pay off that much, many people would just be better off working those 4 years and getting solid work experience and they would have no debt. I think that I read like 50% of recent college grads are unemployed or working in retail or waitresses, etc, because of the bad economy. I think that will hurt them the rest of their careers because those few years right after college are critical to your future success, and many good employers don't hire people for entry level positions if they've been out of college a few years. They'll just hire the grads who just got out.

Old 08-13-2013, 07:24 AM

7,582 posts, read 10,768,125 times
Quote:
I knew that I should have gone to the University of Singapore over Clemson. Then I could have been somebody one day.
I think you completely underestimate how powerful economy of Singapore is and how well educated their workforce is.

It is a tax haven, but also one of the world's largest finance centers and many companies have exported high dollar ventures in engineering and design as well.

Their per capita GDP beats the U.S, South Carolina, and Georgia.

Yes, they have some really good universities and a very modern infrastructure.

Old 08-13-2013, 07:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cwkimbro View Post
I think you completely underestimate how powerful economy of Singapore is and how well educated their workforce is.

It is a tax haven, but also one of the world's largest finance centers and many companies have exported high dollar ventures in engineering and design as well.

Their per capita GDP beats the U.S, South Carolina, and Georgia.

Yes, they have some really good universities and a very modern infrastructure.
I didn't underestimate Singapore's economy but I don't think that college is that much better than Clemson. Doesn't really matter to me, since I'm out of college. If you consider that college is just a bunch of 17-22 year olds, it is kind of absurd to spend a whole lot of time ranking them. They are just taking classes and haven't proven anything yet.

Old 08-13-2013, 07:58 AM

7,582 posts, read 10,768,125 times
Quote:
I didn't underestimate Singapore's economy but I don't think that college is that much better than Clemson. Doesn't really matter to me, since I'm out of college. If you consider that college is just a bunch of 17-22 year olds, it is kind of absurd to spend a whole lot of time ranking them. They are just taking classes and haven't proven anything yet.
In the mean time....

Many of us realize colleges are much more than this.

There is the quality level of research coming out of the colleges, innovations, patents (professors aren't just teachers of a bunch of 17-22 year olds), graduate schools are often considered for a larger standard of quality, and on top of all that we can still consider the quality of those worthless 17-22 years after college.

Yea it is all stuff you can rank and yes there is also some subjectiveness to the methodology.

And yes... that college in Singapore really is much better than Clemson.... It is the top universities in one of the top economies in this world.

I say that admitting I would choose to go to Clemson over Singapore, but that has more to do with proximity, culture, and cost and not rankings or how good the school is alone.

However, I wouldn't ignorantly snub my nose at Singapore. One would be doing really good to graduate from that university.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta