Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-10-2013, 08:24 PM

7,582 posts, read 10,763,491 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by gtcorndog View Post
Given the ease of accessing student loans and the low cost of attendance due to HOPE, you sure it isn't something else... like to the low number of blacks that have both high GPAs and high SAT/ACT scores in order to make them competitive with the current attendees for admissions? Perhaps they are under represented because there is a disproportionately low number of academic high achievers that are black compared to other races.

Average SAT Scores, by Race and Ethnicity, 2012
Group Reading Mathematics Writing
American Indian 482 489 462
Asian American 518 595 528
Black 428 428 417
Mexican American 448 465 443
Puerto Rican 452 452 442
Other Latino 447 461 442
White 527 536 515
Yes, but that would highly correlate with the one of the several variables I already mentioned: fewer blacks go to college. Keep in mind in GA it is common to take the SATs in high school in an effort to encouage more students to go to college.

The reason I spot other variables, like spatial proximity, is it helps explain why there is a higher enrollment at other schools (GSU, Georgia Gwinnett, etc..)

Yes, I know those schools aren't as good as UGA and easier to get into, so that can partly be why, but those schools do take in people who could have applied to UGA too and GSU is still a good school.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-10-2013, 10:25 PM

1,114 posts, read 2,348,772 times
What exactly is the point for your posts GTCorndog? Demonstrate the inferiority of African Americans at getting to college? We get it, they under perform by the numbers. UGA & GT have about the same % of AA students and GT's acceptance rate is higher so perhaps all those UGA rejects are students w/ you at GT?

I grew up in Athens as both my parents went to grad school there. Athens was a racist backwater of a town back then and a pretty crappy place to grow up. I'm sure it's improved since then but it remains a bastion of white privilege even today. Without the state hucking billions at this one school for various political reasons, it'd still be a massive 4yr frat party. The students have gotten better but given the 86% in-state number, it's still the safety school for upper middle class white kids who didn't get good enough finaid packages to their expensive private colleges.

In a state where there's an Asian population of ~3.5% and given that Asians are generally massively over represented in colleges (GT has 17% Asian population) UGA remains relatively unpopular among Asians. Why are there still more Asian kids at GSU (11%) than at UGA (7%)? Either Asian kids are bimodal w/ kids smart enough for GT or GSU and nothing between or there's something intrinsically minority unfriendly about being in Clarke County. It's not like Asians get preferential treatment to any schools these days and if nothing else they're more likely negatively impacted by Affirmative Action given they tend not to have 5th generation legacy picks and less likely to have the hardship stories.

Old 08-11-2013, 06:03 AM

376 posts, read 727,637 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mishap View Post
What exactly is the point for your posts GTCorndog? Demonstrate the inferiority of African Americans at getting to college? We get it, they under perform by the numbers. UGA & GT have about the same % of AA students and GT's acceptance rate is higher so perhaps all those UGA rejects are students w/ you at GT?

I grew up in Athens as both my parents went to grad school there. Athens was a racist backwater of a town back then and a pretty crappy place to grow up. I'm sure it's improved since then but it remains a bastion of white privilege even today. Without the state hucking billions at this one school for various political reasons, it'd still be a massive 4yr frat party. The students have gotten better but given the 86% in-state number, it's still the safety school for upper middle class white kids who didn't get good enough finaid packages to their expensive private colleges.

In a state where there's an Asian population of ~3.5% and given that Asians are generally massively over represented in colleges (GT has 17% Asian population) UGA remains relatively unpopular among Asians. Why are there still more Asian kids at GSU (11%) than at UGA (7%)? Either Asian kids are bimodal w/ kids smart enough for GT or GSU and nothing between or there's something intrinsically minority unfriendly about being in Clarke County. It's not like Asians get preferential treatment to any schools these days and if nothing else they're more likely negatively impacted by Affirmative Action given they tend not to have 5th generation legacy picks and less likely to have the hardship stories.
I looked and the percentage of Asians at GSU is only 9 percent according to website I looked at. It should fluctuate from year to year unless they are setting racial quotas.

I would think GSU would be more attractive to Asians because it is in Atlanta and more Asians in general in Atlanta, so they feel more comfortable there. It always seemed to me that people in Atlanta tend to look down on the rest of the state as a bunch of hick towns, and Athens does have bit of a mill town vibe to it and well off the interstates.

But if they see people on the internet asserting that UGA isn't minority friendly and Athens is full of racist whites, it kind of becomes a self fulfilling thing as they decide not to go there, and then people use that fact to continue to argue UGA isn't minority friendly.

Old 08-11-2013, 06:07 AM

It seems like the best way to determine which schools are "party schools", although this seems like a dumb thing to try to do, is look at the average age of the student and the average number of years it takes for students to graduate.

I think they are probably focusing too much on frats and how many students are in them but not every frat kid is not serious about their academics. Many students are about to balance their studies and their partying.

I remember seeing Applachian State had an average student age of 28. That is a party school. LOL

Old 08-11-2013, 08:03 AM

10 posts, read 41,889 times
I made a prediction two years ago that UGA will become the UNC of the south competing neck to neck with Georgia Tech.

Back when i was applying for colleges, USC was known for "C" average students with rich parents and UCLA is where smart kids attended. Both schools hate each others. Today, USC is ranked higher than UCLA and admission is just as competitive to get in as UCLA.

This is the same relationship I see happening with UGA and Georgia Tech.

Old 08-11-2013, 08:23 AM

lol, all these colleges are the same thing. People fall for their hype machines too easily. I can't see employers just lining up to hire you if you go to UGA vs SC or Clemson or FSU and so on. It is more about the major than the school. UGA probably is an advantage in Georgia simply because fellow UGA people in the workforce probably like to hire UGA alumni.

Old 08-11-2013, 08:26 AM

7,132 posts, read 9,127,744 times
UGA might be competing with GA Tech in maybe 25 years. GA Tech is world-renowned or very close to it and UGA is still just regionally renowned. GA Tech gets a higher out of state draw which means the school is desirable country-wide while UGA is still mainly state-desired. GA Tech does so much for Atlanta that I can only give such a high respect for it.

And UCLA is MUCH harder to get into than USC...what the heck? UCLA, average gpas are over 4.0 and they gets over 50k applications yearly. UCLA is literally the most applied school in the nation. USC doesn't even compare in the admissions department. UCLA literally accepts the best of the best of the best.

Old 08-11-2013, 08:41 AM

148 posts, read 232,284 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Johns Creek Broker View Post
I made a prediction two years ago that UGA will become the UNC of the south competing neck to neck with Georgia Tech.

Back when i was applying for colleges, USC was known for "C" average students with rich parents and UCLA is where smart kids attended. Both schools hate each others. Today, USC is ranked higher than UCLA and admission is just as competitive to get in as UCLA.

This is the same relationship I see happening with UGA and Georgia Tech.
Maybe, but doubtful, they don't really compete. Georgia Tech's engineering programs are known around the World, and have been for decades. Not the Southeast, not just among public schools, but the World. Some of the programs are #1 in the World. UGA isn't going to compete with that with their engineering programs anytime in our lifetimes. GT has over a billion dollar endowment, much larger than UGA. UGA has good graduate schools no doubt, but as far as undergraduate programs, the only ones I know that are competing on a national basis are Risk Management (Insurance brokers) and maybe Accounting. The Business Schools at both schools are the only cross-over and I believe GT's is ranked higher, despite being much younger. Google top 10 salaries after college and you'll see 9 engineering programs (all offered at GT) and computer science (GT), which in turns draws talent from all over the world, and this trend will only continue. Not trying to downplay UGA, it's getting better every year and offers a great college experience, but it's not competing with GT, they're playing in different pools.

Old 08-11-2013, 08:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ant131531 View Post
UGA might be competing with GA Tech in maybe 25 years. GA Tech is world-renowned or very close to it and UGA is still just regionally renowned. GA Tech gets a higher out of state draw which means the school is desirable country-wide while UGA is still mainly state-desired. GA Tech does so much for Atlanta that I can only give such a high respect for it.

And UCLA is MUCH harder to get into than USC...what the heck? UCLA, average gpas are over 4.0 and they gets over 50k applications yearly. UCLA is literally the most applied school in the nation. USC doesn't even compare in the admissions department. UCLA literally accepts the best of the best of the best.
I think you are assuming that the "best out of the best" of high school kids end up being the best college students.

I think a lot of people take college a lot more seriously than they took high school because they want to say they have a good GPA when they interview for jobs, plus they are just older and more mature than in high school, plus they are studying what they are interested in rather than a bunch of subjects they don't care much about. I know for a fact that I was more intelligent than the top two people in my high school class. they had 4.0's and I was down around a 3.3 but I completed a more challenging college program than they did. One of them just majored in Spanish which seems more like a minor to me. I thought a lot of the top students in my high school class grade wise would suck up to the teachers after class and I never been one for brownnosing especially for something like a grade in a class.

I think we kind of hype up these high school kids though, I don't think high school kids in America are lighting it up academically and are these studious scholar types in high school. High school is cake if you put just a little effort in and do most of the homework.

Old 08-11-2013, 08:52 AM

280 posts, read 389,545 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ant131531 View Post

I agree that it will be years before UGA gets the same academic respect that GA Tech. The strong growth of the honors program at UGA and growth in quality of their graduate programs will be an engine of growth for the State well before they get that recognition. Even Tech fans can rejoice about the transformation of UGA!

Remember, however, that the schools are really not competing for the same students. GA Tech is first and foremost an engineering school (widely regarded as #3 in the nation in that category). UGA is a first tier general university with strong liberal arts and sciences (top 40-70 in this much larger category (not just state schools, but strong private schools including Ivys). In areas where they overlap, (business, economics, biology, chemistry, physics, basic and applied mathematics), the approach is very different and they attract a very different types of students. Engineering schools attract students with a quantitative, problem solving mentality while general universities attract well rounded students with broader interests. I do alumni interviews for a general university and it can be very clear who belongs where at times.

The California system is very deep, but UC Berkeley is their number 1 school with UCLA the second most selective
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta