Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-11-2013, 08:31 PM

10 posts, read 41,901 times

Advertisements

When a school goes up the ranks to the top 30... this will attract the top quality professors to the institution.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BHarrison84 View Post
So when you say the college is better, you just mean the students are smarter (because they are Asian, in this case). It isn't about the quality of the teachers and other measures of the school itself?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-11-2013, 08:34 PM

376 posts, read 728,074 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Johns Creek Broker View Post
When a school goes up the ranks to the top 30... this will attract the top quality professors to the institution.
Well top quality professors usually mean the ones who get more research money thrown at the university. They aren't really looking at the teaching aspect of it.

I tend to think all professors are paid well, many of them overpaid, so it seems like they should all be quality if they are in that profession. LOL

I think students at a lot of colleges are essentially subsidizing professor's bloated salaries so those professors can live a luxurious lifestyle. In return, the students can boast that their school has the best quality professors. Don't see like a balanced arrangement to me. LOL

What has always cracked me up is Big Education is the only Big Business most people won't attack for price gouging their customers. I think these colleges have some crazy profit margins that make Big Oil look good.

Old 08-11-2013, 09:15 PM

10 posts, read 41,901 times
gtcorndog,

You know what is interesting is the % of ethnic break down of Georgia is very similar to California except for their under represented Asian %

California
White : 57%
Hispanic: 37%
Asian : 13%
Black : 6%

Georgia
White : 59%
Hispanic: 8%
Asian : 3.2%
Black : 30%

It is interesting to see that California's hispanic population % is similar to the Georgia's black population. Georgia. The 5th fastest growing Asian population state is Georgia with a growth of 81% in the last 10 years compared to the national average of 18%. The 3.2% of Asian representation of Georgia will be growing at a faster % rate than white, hispanics, and black in the years ahead.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gtcorndog View Post
While this might come across weird... but Cali also has a lot of Asians.

Look at the percentage of students at the top schools in Cali that are Asian. These students who outperform all other races certainly help boost the profile of their schools.

Asians represent just 13.6% of the population in California but...

Just a few of their schools:
UCB - 40% Asian
UCLA - 31% Asian
UCSD - 44% Asian
UCI - 56% Asian

I'm not saying it is a bad thing or anything. I'm just saying that their schools (and their school's profile) benefit greatly from having such a motivated pool of students to pull from. Georgia certainly doesn't have this to pull from and neither does Texas. These states are populated with ethnic groups that generally don't perform so well academically.

Old 08-11-2013, 09:22 PM

7,132 posts, read 9,135,673 times
UCLA also attracts student because of it's location. It is in the middle of West Los Angeles/Westwood which is a very prestigious area...you are only minutes away from the coast, weather is nice, big metropolis,and nice scenery.

Where is UGA at? In a small college town of a couple hundred thousand where it's economy is literally ran on this university. Athens isn't exactly a very nice city either.

With GA tech, you're a few minutes walk from being in the center of a 5.5M metropolis which can be attractive to students also.

Old 08-11-2013, 09:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ant131531 View Post
UCLA also attracts student because of it's location. It is in the middle of West Los Angeles/Westwood which is a very prestigious area...you are only minutes away from the coast, weather is nice, big metropolis,and nice scenery.

Where is UGA at? In a small college town of a couple hundred thousand where it's economy is literally ran on this university. Athens isn't exactly a very nice city either.

With GA tech, you're a few minutes walk from being in the center of a 5.5M metropolis which can be attractive to students also.
Athens isn't that far from Atlanta. You could go downtown Atlanta ever single weekend as a student if that is your thing.

I'd say the weather, scenary is nice enuf in Athens. The city of Athens is ok but I can't see "big city snobs" liking it at all. It is interesting what a big state college can do for a city like Athens b/c if UGA wasn't there it would be like Greenwood SC which isn't too far away from Athens. It wouldn't be anybody's radars.

I personally wouldn't want to go to school in LA or live in LA period. Too many people, too much traffic. I prefer more of a college town thing like Athens or Clemson, or an "urban campus" in a fairly small major city like Columbia SC and SC.

I think a lot of people just think everything is better in California. But when you look, they have more people leaving then coming in (well, maybe only after you remove illegal immigrants from the conversation, LOL).

It is a bit odd we got off on UCLA and USC on here in a conversation about UGA. I will say a UGA degree probably has more weight in Georgia and at least equal weight as UCLA, USC, in other southeastern states. I would have never known UCLA or USC were "prestitious" colleges. I think Ivy League schools are only ones people all have heard are "prestigious", along with MIT and a few others.

Old 08-11-2013, 11:07 PM

16,700 posts, read 29,521,595 times
Johns Creek/South Forsyth is the best.

Old 08-12-2013, 06:46 AM

2,281 posts, read 3,034,444 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BHarrison84 View Post
Athens isn't that far from Atlanta. You could go downtown Atlanta ever single weekend as a student if that is your thing.
An hour each way every weekend? Few people who went to my college would have had the time, gas money, cars, or inclination to do that. By and large, college students are broke..... a lot of that weekend usually goes towards studying for classes or completing 30 page reports. I am guessing that your major in college wasn't very challenging if you think that going AWOL every weekend to Atlanta is viable at UGA.

Quote:
I'd say the weather, scenary is nice enuf in Athens. The city of Athens is ok but I can't see "big city snobs" liking it at all. It is interesting what a big state college can do for a city like Athens b/c if UGA wasn't there it would be like Greenwood SC which isn't too far away from Athens. It wouldn't be anybody's radars.
there is nothing wrong, but you are right saying that it would not be on anyone'S radar. Augusta would be the largest City in the area if not for the University.

[quote]I personally wouldn't want to go to school in LA or live in LA period. Too many people, too much traffic. I prefer more of a college town thing like Athens or Clemson, or an "urban campus" in a fairly small major city like Columbia SC and SC.

I think a lot of people just think everything is better in California. But when you look, they have more people leaving then coming in (well, maybe only after you remove illegal immigrants from the conversation, LOL).[quote]
Sounds like you have never been there. You should probably limit your comments to the limits of your first hand knowledge. Your 'southern, small town sensibility' is glaringly obvious from this comment.

Quote:
It is a bit odd we got off on UCLA and USC on here in a conversation about UGA. I will say a UGA degree probably has more weight in Georgia and at least equal weight as UCLA, USC, in other southeastern states. I would have never known UCLA or USC were "prestitious" colleges. I think Ivy League schools are only ones people all have heard are "prestigious", along with MIT and a few others.
That is because you do not seem to know much more about colleges outside of what you come across during football season. I do not mean to offend, but USC, UCLA, Stanford, etc are the 800 lbs gorillas when it comes to institutions of higher learning around the WORLD.... not just the USA. Whereas UGA would not even be on the list.

Did you attend college, or are you just (yet another) UGA fan that never matriculated there? Some of your opinions come across as quite odd to me.

Old 08-12-2013, 07:22 AM

[quote=Tarzanman;30923612]An hour each way every weekend? Few people who went to my college would have had the time, gas money, cars, or inclination to do that. By and large, college students are broke..... a lot of that weekend usually goes towards studying for classes or completing 30 page reports. I am guessing that your major in college wasn't very challenging if you think that going AWOL every weekend to Atlanta is viable at UGA.

there is nothing wrong, but you are right saying that it would not be on anyone'S radar. Augusta would be the largest City in the area if not for the University.

[quote]I personally wouldn't want to go to school in LA or live in LA period. Too many people, too much traffic. I prefer more of a college town thing like Athens or Clemson, or an "urban campus" in a fairly small major city like Columbia SC and SC.

I think a lot of people just think everything is better in California. But when you look, they have more people leaving then coming in (well, maybe only after you remove illegal immigrants from the conversation, LOL).
Quote:
Sounds like you have never been there. You should probably limit your comments to the limits of your first hand knowledge. Your 'southern, small town sensibility' is glaringly obvious from this comment.

That is because you do not seem to know much more about colleges outside of what you come across during football season. I do not mean to offend, but USC, UCLA, Stanford, etc are the 800 lbs gorillas when it comes to institutions of higher learning around the WORLD.... not just the USA. Whereas UGA would not even be on the list.

Did you attend college, or are you just (yet another) UGA fan that never matriculated there? Some of your opinions come across as quite odd to me.
Well some people are just California centric and if not that they will be New England centric. Since I grew up in the southeast, I am southeast centric. I don't apologize for that.

I am not a UGA fan nor was I a student there. If I had stayed in Georgia thru high school, I would have gone to UGA, if they had engineering but I don't think they did at the time.

I majored in engineering in college. I rarely left town on the weekends. But a lot of those Georgia kids are going back home on the weekend to Atlanta, and most kids at UGA are not poor, their parents tend to be well off.

I would think football is just as big at USC (especially) and UCLA, as schools in the South. Yet you are claiming they are also good at academics but somehow the southern colleges are not. It is just all about the football. LOL

I have never been to LA, that is right. Or California. I wouldn't mind visiting. My brother interview in Sacremento a few years ago and said it looked like a nice area.

I don't think USC, UCLA, Stanford are any better than other colleges. They just get hyped up, largely because they are in California, the biggest state, near the coast. I also don't think employers in the Southeast going to give preference to grads with those degrees over degrees from colleges in the southeast. As I said before, people would have to be told that UCLA and USC were prestigious schools to know that. Stanford does have some reputation as that because Clinton's daughter went there but I never heard much about USC outside of football and UCLA outside of basketball.

Old 08-12-2013, 07:24 AM

7,132 posts, read 9,135,673 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tarzanman View Post
An hour each way every weekend? Few people who went to my college would have had the time, gas money, cars, or inclination to do that. By and large, college students are broke..... a lot of that weekend usually goes towards studying for classes or completing 30 page reports. I am guessing that your major in college wasn't very challenging if you think that going AWOL every weekend to Atlanta is viable at UGA.

Quote:
I personally wouldn't want to go to school in LA or live in LA period. Too many people, too much traffic. I prefer more of a college town thing like Athens or Clemson, or an "urban campus" in a fairly small major city like Columbia SC and SC.

As I said, southerners down here only think schools are good when their football teams are good LOL. Can't believe he'd say UGA holds the same weight as UCLA/USC. Only rednecks say that. UCLA is VERY prestigious in this nation. As I said before, it is the most applied school in this nation and many of it's students are qualified to go to ivy leagues.

Old 08-12-2013, 07:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ant131531 View Post
As I said, southerners down here only think schools are good when their football teams are good LOL. Can't believe he'd say UGA holds the same weight as UCLA/USC. Only rednecks say that.
Cant I say the same thing about USC, football is big there, they are usually one of the top teams. Pretty sure UCLA is a football school too.

It is funny how you guys get so angry over this, but you probably don't have degrees from those schools. LOL You just advertise for them for free I guess.

Everybody knows Ivy Leagues are overrated and overhyped. I couldn't pay any school that type of money for tuition even if they were as awesome as they claim. I know a scam when I see one. The beauty of it is they wrap it up in the guise of "higher education". LOL
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta