Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-12-2013, 03:35 AM

4,790 posts, read 6,874,004 times

Advertisements

check your direct messages in the upper right corner of the screen.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-12-2013, 06:03 AM

258 posts, read 604,369 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bryantm3 View Post
check your direct messages in the upper right corner of the screen.
Replied. Thanks so much for the help.

Old 08-12-2013, 08:18 AM

10,974 posts, read 10,874,081 times
Make sure you don't over look Ormewood Park. It is between Grant Park and East Atlanta and a great neighborhood.

Old 08-12-2013, 08:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jsvh View Post
Make sure you don't over look Ormewood Park. It is between Grant Park and East Atlanta and a great neighborhood.
We have been looking at a few there as well. Thanks. Very excited as the real estate agent should be calling us sometime today to get started looking.

Old 08-12-2013, 08:49 AM

As far as East Atlanta, I'm not as concerned about the crime as I am with the fact that the crime rates are going in the wrong direction.

Is anyone of the opinion that East Atlanta could possibly continue going downhill over the long haul? While future home value isn't the top priority, I certainly don't want the value of the home plummeting 50% over the next 5-10 years because the crime continues to get worse and worse.

We can live with being a little catious and deal with non violent crime. However, we want to avoid making an investment in a place that could continue to slip in the wrong direction. After all, gentrification doesn't always succeed.

Thanks for any feedback on this.

Old 08-12-2013, 08:58 AM
JPD

12,138 posts, read 18,294,166 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mjedwards409 View Post
As far as East Atlanta, I'm not as concerned about the crime as I am with the fact that the crime rates are going in the wrong direction.

Is anyone of the opinion that East Atlanta could possibly continue going downhill over the long haul? While future home value isn't the top priority, I certainly don't want the value of the home plummeting 50% over the next 5-10 years because the crime continues to get worse and worse.

We can live with being a little catious and deal with non violent crime. However, we want to avoid making an investment in a place that could continue to slip in the wrong direction. After all, gentrification doesn't always succeed.

East Atlanta has had an extremely rough summer, but it is not on a downward trend. It has been on an upward trend since the late '90s, and that trend is continuing.

Old 08-12-2013, 09:01 AM

23,726 posts, read 24,863,148 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mjedwards409 View Post

The current crime wave is temporary. Last year virginia-highland and candler park had a spike in crime. Its now back down to normal levels in those neighborhoods.

Old 08-12-2013, 09:04 AM

225 posts, read 277,913 times
Bolton is close to Underwood Hills, and is safe and affordable. Not a large area, though, so inventory is limited. Some of the older homes in that neighborhood would likely fit your price/size criteria.

Old 08-12-2013, 09:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by space cadet View Post
Bolton is close to Underwood Hills, and is safe and affordable. Not a large area, though, so inventory is limited. Some of the older homes in that neighborhood would likely fit your price/size criteria.
We talked about it. Bolton is a little further from town than we wanted. We were looking for something at least slightly walkable and close to some city parks. We lived in Smyrna not too long ago so I had to drive through Bolton to get to my sales territory. It seemed like there wasn't much going on there if you didn't drive into the city.

Old 08-12-2013, 01:24 PM

Ok, so we have found 2-3 listings that are near the top of our price range in a particular area in East Atlanta. I haven't actually driven down there yet, but I like the Google Street Views and the houses in this particular area are pretty much all high $100s to mid-high $200s. (Which is good because a red flag goes up when I see $80K, $50K, $9K, etc right across from houses I'm looking at. Can anyone tell me a bit more about the area just south of I-20, east of Moreland, and north of Glenwood? Pretty much along Mcpherson Ave SE and the branching streets. (Mcpherson seems to run between Moreland and Maynard Terrace.) From what I can see it looks like a pretty quiet neighborhood with houses that are holding their value. Any feedback would be appreciated!

(The area is right by Mcpherson Monument Park)
Attached Thumbnails
Neighborhood Suggestions?  Intown, 0K and under, safe area-mcpherson.png  
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta