Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Is this fair?
yes 20 57.14%
no. 15 42.86%
Voters: 35. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 08-13-2013, 12:04 PM

2,240 posts, read 5,859,250 times

Advertisements

It's also possible that the family could have lost PeachCare (temporarily) if they failed to pay their (very minimal: maximum of $60/month; usually more the area of $15/child/month) premium on time. Families are renewed on a monthly basis. They can lose and then be reinstated if they catch back up.

Old 08-13-2013, 12:49 PM

1,164 posts, read 1,265,664 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ANDS! View Post
Good lord people get dumb in overemotional situations. What is more likely, that doctors - DOCTORS - are refusing to treat this young man because he's black and has low grades or that these doctors - DOCTORS - have seen a history of this patient (who has no doubt been in and out of the hospital with this condition) and have determined that he is unlikely to adhere to the protocol needed for individuals who receive donor organs? Yes. I'm going to go on the side of "The KKK has infiltrated the healthcare system - "
Most of the overemotional ranting was not directed at the doctors; it was directed at posters in this thread who evidently maintain that belief. You know...

Quote:
Originally Posted by LunaRabbit View Post
To be brutally honest, no, I don't think he should get a rare healthy heart if he's not willing to be a good citizen in the first place. His grades are low, he's already had trouble with the law. Stop with the pc bullcrap already America and be honest with yourself. 99% of the time kids like this turn into violent criminals. I'm sorry, but I don't see the purpose in wasting a perfectly good heart on him that could go to another child who actually tries to do something with their lives.

Old 08-13-2013, 02:25 PM

2,390 posts, read 4,405,317 times
Quote:
Turning it into a racial strawman is a lame tactic. It's got nothing to do with race. He's not trying hard in school which is just a mini version of work/life. It's only liberal hypocrites that say people like that deserve the same as those who work hard. A major reason this country is failing.

And it doesn't matter what kind of trouble with the law he's gone thru. Fact is he makes trouble. Most people can go their whole life without trouble with the police, violent crimes or not.
People that think like THIS ^^^ pose more of a threat than this kid does. So using this logic, all teenage boys that don't take school serious (at 15 at that) and have been in trouble before are better off dead than being allowed a second chance at life? Please don't breed.

Old 08-13-2013, 02:50 PM

60 posts, read 110,081 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brownhornet View Post
People that think like THIS ^^^ pose more of a threat than this kid does. So using this logic, all teenage boys that don't take school serious (at 15 at that) and have been in trouble before are better off dead than being allowed a second chance at life? Please don't breed.
You should really read all the comments before posting. For, what like the third time???, he doesn't deserve to die because of grades and a criminal background. Hell, if there were hearts for every kid that needed them, give him a heart! Fact is, there's one heart and he's not the best candidate.

Old 08-13-2013, 03:27 PM

2,538 posts, read 3,876,874 times
I just think the whole scenario is heartbreaking. I cannot begin to imagine how this young man feels, or his family. Being 15 is tough, and young people do some stupid things, that's how we learn. I am pretty sure that if he hasn't been compliant with meds/appts, it has more to do with finances, not blatant non-compliance. Also, he's only 15, hardly capable of paying for his medications or driving himself to appointments, that's on his parents/guardians.

Many of you on this forum lack the empathy gene.

Old 08-13-2013, 04:05 PM

280 posts, read 389,717 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by skyegirl View Post
I just think the whole scenario is heartbreaking. I cannot begin to imagine how this young man feels, or his family. Being 15 is tough, and young people do some stupid things, that's how we learn. I am pretty sure that if he hasn't been compliant with meds/appts, it has more to do with finances, not blatant non-compliance. Also, he's only 15, hardly capable of paying for his medications or driving himself to appointments, that's on his parents/guardians.

It is heartbreaking. Regardless of whether or not he is a good candidate for the transplant, it is a tragedy. Just because the thing he needs is hard to get and other people need it too, does not mean that any of us can be happy with the outcome. When someone has to allocate a rare resource needed to save a life, it is always upsetting to see the ones who do not get what they need.

So regardless how you feel about this boy and the way heart transplants are given, you should be upset that he will suffer and die. You should ask why aren't there more hearts and what are doing to increase organ donation. You should ask why do so many people need heart transplants and what are we doing to prevent heart disease. You should ask what we can do for young people so they do not get into his situation. Blaming the boy, his family, society, or the transplant selection committee in an online forum may be satisfying for a few minutes, but isn't it much more satisfying to help poor families, hospitals, and researchers so this happens to fewer and fewer people?

Old 08-13-2013, 04:27 PM

17,307 posts, read 22,039,209 times
Quote:
To be brutally honest, no, I don't think he should get a rare healthy heart if he's not willing to be a good citizen in the first place. His grades are low, he's already had trouble with the law. Stop with the pc bullcrap already America and be honest with yourself. 99% of the time kids like this turn into violent criminals. I'm sorry, but I don't see the purpose in wasting a perfectly good heart on him that could go to another child who actually tries to do something with their lives.

+1............

You also have to wonder if he has insurance that is going to cover the costs. If someone with poor compliance had A+ insurance coverage (meaning the hospitals/doctors get paid) if they would overlook his "issues."

You got to think "If Obama had a son with a heart condition, he would look like Anthony!"

Old 08-13-2013, 04:33 PM

17,307 posts, read 22,039,209 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DONNIEANDDONNA417 View Post
that's the most heartless thing I ever heard....

he probably cant keep up his grades because he's worrying about dying and in the hospital all the time. Lord I pray this child gets the care he needs...if he doesn't I pray he accepts you in his heart so he can be with you and out of this careless world

Really?

You and Stevie Wonder must have the same Optometrist!

Old 08-13-2013, 06:15 PM

104 posts, read 141,695 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by skyegirl View Post
Why do you lack empathy for the person who will get the heart instead of him? Should they die because even though they have a better chance of a successful transplant, they don't have the same ability to get articles written about them? Is that's how we should decide who gets a transplant? The most media savvy person lives and those who don't know how to manipulate PR die? What kind of world is that? If this was about not being able to cover the costs, so a heart was going to be tossed in the trash instead of giving it to him, you'd have a point. But there is a severe lack of hearts available for transplant. The one he gets condemns someone else to death.

So once again I ask you, why do you lack empathy for those who have a better chance of success but less access to the media?

P.S. I hope everyone is signed up as an organ donor and have made it clear to your families that they should honor your wish to donate. More organs are the only solution to this problem. Media manipulation solves nothing except making the less well connected die.

Old 08-13-2013, 06:20 PM

23,462 posts, read 44,090,617 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jillgineer View Post
Why do you lack empathy for the person who will get the heart instead of him? Should they die because even though they have a better chance of a successful transplant, they don't have the same ability to get articles written about them? Is that's how we should decide who gets a transplant? The most media savvy person lives and those who don't know how to manipulate PR die? What kind of world is that? If this was about not being able to cover the costs, so a heart was going to be tossed in the trash instead of giving it to him, you'd have a point. But there is a severe lack of hearts available for transplant. The one he gets condemns someone else to death.

So once again I ask you, why do you lack empathy for those who have a better chance of success but less access to the media?

P.S. I hope everyone is signed up as an organ donor and have made it clear to your families that they should honor your wish to donate. More organs are the only solution to this problem. Media manipulation solves nothing except making the less well connected die.
Damn right.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
View detailed profiles of: