Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-19-2013, 10:31 AM

246 posts, read 374,797 times

Advertisements

I'm as white as fresh driven snow, and I have no problem with Atlanta being labeled a "black mecca" provided it's for the right reasons that are listed on the (always 100% accurate) Wikipedia page:
  • Superior economic opportunities for blacks, often as assessed by the presence of a large black upper-middle and upper class
  • Black political power in a city
  • Leading black educational institutions in a city
  • A city's leading role in black arts, music, and other culture
  • Harmonious black-white race relations in a city

If black people (or any people for that matter) are being drawn to mecca for government handouts at the expense of those who work hard , then we need to shake that title & saddle another city with it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-19-2013, 11:50 AM

1,317 posts, read 1,640,655 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CAWjr View Post
I'm as white as fresh driven snow, and I have no problem with Atlanta being labeled a "black mecca" provided it's for the right reasons that are listed on the (always 100% accurate) Wikipedia page:
  • Superior economic opportunities for blacks, often as assessed by the presence of a large black upper-middle and upper class
  • Black political power in a city
  • Leading black educational institutions in a city
  • A city's leading role in black arts, music, and other culture
  • Harmonious black-white race relations in a city
If black people (or any people for that matter) are being drawn to mecca for government handouts at the expense of those who work hard , then we need to shake that title & saddle another city with it.

Wow CAWjr, that is extremely "white" !!!

Well I am as chocolate as a sweet delicious chocalate Hershey bar, and I do not agree that Atlanta is a "black mecca". All the things mentioned are great, but with the absence of meaningful equity, Atlanta is just another city with a large black population. Which is totally fine by me, but let's not further spread this misconception of a 'black mecca" .

Old 08-19-2013, 11:57 AM

10,744 posts, read 13,384,671 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by glovenyc View Post

Well I am as chocolate as a sweet delicious chocalate Hershey bar, and I do not agree that Atlanta is a "black mecca". All the things mentioned are great, but with the absence of meaningful equity, Atlanta is just another city with a large black population. Which is totally fine by me, but let's not further spread this misconception of a 'black mecca" .
glovenyc - I'm interested in your post. What do you mean by "meaningful equity"? Are you referring to economic disparity, political disparity, etc.?

Old 08-19-2013, 11:58 AM

246 posts, read 374,797 times
Quote:

For the record, I prefer Hershey Special Dark. Mo bitter, mo better!

And in all seriousness, I think the concept of "black mecca" alone does nothing to promote equality. To say that a city is a <insert race> mecca, by its very nature, is placing one race over another. Why can't Atlanta just be an American mecca?

Old 08-19-2013, 12:36 PM

1,317 posts, read 1,640,655 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnsleyPark View Post
glovenyc - I'm interested in your post. What do you mean by "meaningful equity"? Are you referring to economic disparity, political disparity, etc.?

AnsleyPark when I refer to meaningful equity, I mean ownership, assets on a large scale. Although I appreciate that black people have a much higher professional profile in this city than many other places, it can be inspiring especially to our younger generations. However the true power lies with he/she who owns the deed, or who controls the bank.

Last edited by glovenyc; 08-19-2013 at 12:37 PM.. Reason: typo

Old 08-19-2013, 12:45 PM

10,744 posts, read 13,384,671 times
Quote:
AnsleyPark when I refer to meaningful equity, I mean ownership, assets on a large scale. Although I appreciate that black people have a much higher professional profile in this city than many other places, it can be inspiring especially to our younger generations. However the true power lies with he/she who owns the deed, or who controls the bank.
Thanks for the clarification. I grew up eons ago in south Georgia on a farm. My perspective is that AAs have made great strides in becoming the deed owner and banker. I know that there is not true equality yet, but it is far better than what is in my childhood memories. Keep striving!

Old 08-19-2013, 12:56 PM

925 posts, read 1,333,521 times
Quote:
If thats gonna happen, it would most likely start in Atlanta (unless you consider tyrants in africa). Hence the reference to black mecca.

Old 08-19-2013, 03:14 PM

421 posts, read 749,595 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CAWjr View Post
For the record, I prefer Hershey Special Dark. Mo bitter, mo better!

And in all seriousness, I think the concept of "black mecca" alone does nothing to promote equality. To say that a city is a <insert race> mecca, by its very nature, is placing one race over another. Why can't Atlanta just be an American mecca?
Not really if you know the history and current racial issues in the U.S.

Whites have historically been able to do well anywhere whereas Blacks and some other minorities were and continue to be kept out of opportunities in many areas of the country.

Old 08-19-2013, 04:46 PM

2,440 posts, read 3,430,789 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Freeminds View Post
Someone is bored and looking for some chaos. They know this post will pull Atlanta haters AND racist far and wide.
Yeah, there are just enough trollers on here to keep those antics going.

Old 08-20-2013, 12:05 AM

5,126 posts, read 7,408,573 times
Well, I'm white, but I do remember ages and ages ago that Ebony Magazine did name Atlanta as a top place for blacks to live, work and be successful.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta