Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 08-20-2013, 03:07 AM
 
37,794 posts, read 41,479,186 times
Reputation: 27052

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by glovenyc View Post
Well I am as chocolate as a sweet delicious chocalate Hershey bar, and I do not agree that Atlanta is a "black mecca". All the things mentioned are great, but with the absence of meaningful equity, Atlanta is just another city with a large black population. Which is totally fine by me, but let's not further spread this misconception of a 'black mecca" .
This goes well beyond the standard definition of "mecca" though, which is simply "a place regarded as a center for a specified group, activity, or interest." I get what you're saying, but I think "black elysian fields" might be a better term for it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 08-20-2013, 03:21 AM
 
37,794 posts, read 41,479,186 times
Reputation: 27052
Quote:
Originally Posted by Freeminds View Post
Not really if you know the history and current racial issues in the U.S.

Whites have historically been able to do well anywhere whereas Blacks and some other minorities were and continue to be kept out of opportunities in many areas of the country.
Precisely.

I don't know why some people get into something of a tizzy when you say Atlanta is a Black mecca, because one could also just as easily call it a gay mecca and you wouldn't hear too many protests (except from some ultra-conservatives probably). The fact of the matter is that it's only been a generation since the passage of laws that knocked down longstanding structural barriers to equality and when you have a city that has provided more economic, social, cultural, etc. opportunities in particular than most others for such a historically disenfranchised group, it seems to me that this bodes well for the city as a whole. The business of Atlanta is business, which is why the city has sought to project a tolerant, inclusive image since the Civil Rights era because leaders realized this protected and enhanced Atlanta's reputation as an extremely business-friendly city.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-20-2013, 08:17 AM
 
Location: Smyrna, GA
246 posts, read 372,710 times
Reputation: 176
Quote:
Originally Posted by Freeminds View Post
Not really if you know the history and current racial issues in the U.S.

Whites have historically been able to do well anywhere whereas Blacks and some other minorities were and continue to be kept out of opportunities in many areas of the country.
Clearly you are well versed in US history & racial issues, so I will defer my clear cut ignorance on both matters to your infinite wisdom...you know, based on my oppressive whiteness & all.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-20-2013, 09:51 AM
 
421 posts, read 746,351 times
Reputation: 166
Quote:
Originally Posted by CAWjr View Post
Clearly you are well versed in US history & racial issues, so I will defer my clear cut ignorance on both matters to your infinite wisdom...you know, based on my oppressive whiteness & all.
If the bold is what you took from what I said then you have other issues far beyond any education can fix. Not really much can be done for that.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-20-2013, 10:02 AM
 
Location: Atlanta, GA
927 posts, read 2,216,245 times
Reputation: 749
Quote:
Originally Posted by CAWjr View Post
Clearly you are well versed in US history & racial issues, so I will defer my clear cut ignorance on both matters to your infinite wisdom...you know, based on my oppressive whiteness & all.
Based on your original point that it should just be an American mecca, well, it kinda does have that title. It's always listed as a top choice for recent grads, young professionals, and singles, etc. But that doesn't mean this precludes Atlanta from being other types of "meccas."

I, for one, can't in my right mind call any place a "Black mecca" considering various socioeconomic indicators that still show blacks face inequities in healthcare and education, and discrimination in the judicial system and the workforce. However, there are distinct features in Atlanta's history that has made it a unique attraction for blacks, including the city being an early adopter of the civil rights movement, having some of the most distinguished universities and colleges that accepted blacks in the face of discrimination (i.e. Morehouse and Spelman), having black mayors, police, and fire chiefs, which is rare for other major cities, having a street that was considered the richest black street in the world with ample black professionals disproportionate to the relative overall wealth of blacks, a large stock of affordable housing compared to other cities, and having a predominately black population.

All of these led to Atlanta being considered a Black Mecca, and many of the things that led to this title still remain. There's no reason to obscure that fact. It's history, it helped shaped the city into what it is today, and it should be embraced!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-20-2013, 12:51 PM
 
Location: Orange Blossom Trail
6,420 posts, read 6,474,175 times
Reputation: 2673
Quote:
Originally Posted by Infinite_heights77 View Post
Don't know if people use this moniker anymore, but how did this "Black Mecca" thing start?

Thanks!!
I first saw it in Ebony & Jet in the early 90s, i think all the other black media jumped on board after that. Black media sometimes shows love to Washington DC & Chicago too, but 70% of black media attention goes to Atlanta, the rest goes to Washington DC & Chicago. Us blacks dont really live any where else...or so they say.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-20-2013, 01:19 PM
 
37,794 posts, read 41,479,186 times
Reputation: 27052
The title first appeared in Ebony in 1971:



File:Ebony August 1971 - Black mecca.jpg - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-22-2013, 10:42 AM
 
5,289 posts, read 7,364,636 times
Reputation: 1158
Are you calling me a "troll?"
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-22-2013, 10:44 AM
 
5,289 posts, read 7,364,636 times
Reputation: 1158
Interesting comment!



Quote:
Originally Posted by Mutiny77 View Post
Precisely.

I don't know why some people get into something of a tizzy when you say Atlanta is a Black mecca, because one could also just as easily call it a gay mecca and you wouldn't hear too many protests (except from some ultra-conservatives probably). The fact of the matter is that it's only been a generation since the passage of laws that knocked down longstanding structural barriers to equality and when you have a city that has provided more economic, social, cultural, etc. opportunities in particular than most others for such a historically disenfranchised group, it seems to me that this bodes well for the city as a whole. The business of Atlanta is business, which is why the city has sought to project a tolerant, inclusive image since the Civil Rights era because leaders realized this protected and enhanced Atlanta's reputation as an extremely business-friendly city.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-26-2013, 02:08 PM
 
5,289 posts, read 7,364,636 times
Reputation: 1158
Wow!!!

"Harmonious black-white race relations in a city"

*Are you sure of this? I hear very different perspectives on this.


Quote:
Originally Posted by CAWjr View Post
I'm as white as fresh driven snow, and I have no problem with Atlanta being labeled a "black mecca" provided it's for the right reasons that are listed on the (always 100% accurate) Wikipedia page:
  • Superior economic opportunities for blacks, often as assessed by the presence of a large black upper-middle and upper class
  • Black political power in a city
  • Leading black educational institutions in a city
  • A city's leading role in black arts, music, and other culture
  • Harmonious black-white race relations in a city

If black people (or any people for that matter) are being drawn to mecca for government handouts at the expense of those who work hard , then we need to shake that title & saddle another city with it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:


Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

123
Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta

All times are GMT -6.

¬© 2005-2024, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Contact Us - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37 - Top