Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-19-2013, 07:28 PM

4 posts, read 15,715 times

Advertisements

Hi everyone!!! Im moving to Atlanta next summer from California. I need advice or some ideas of which area's that i can move to that are reasonable on rent. I want a apartment within driving distance to a Whole foods market, Kaiser, Sports Arena's( Im a NBA and NFL fan) and entertainment. I am a Nursing student that will be finishing my preq's at a community college there, so a Community college that is decent would be nice if it was within a half hour of home. Im a older student over 40 and dont want to live in a subdivision that caters to student living. I'm looking for a 2 bedroom, that is pet friendly for 1250 and under. Any suggestions??

Thanks in advance for any suggestions!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-19-2013, 09:14 PM

10,396 posts, read 11,496,468 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Caligurl247 View Post
Hi everyone!!! Im moving to Atlanta next summer from California. I need advice or some ideas of which area's that i can move to that are reasonable on rent. I want a apartment within driving distance to a Whole foods market, Kaiser, Sports Arena's( Im a NBA and NFL fan) and entertainment. I am a Nursing student that will be finishing my preq's at a community college there, so a Community college that is decent would be nice if it was within a half hour of home. Im a older student over 40 and dont want to live in a subdivision that caters to student living. I'm looking for a 2 bedroom, that is pet friendly for 1250 and under. Any suggestions??

It is important to know in which general part of Metro Atlanta (city, town or county) you will be working so as to minimize the effects of your commute on Metro Atlanta's overcapacity and limited road network.

Decisions on where to live in Metro Atlanta are generally made with one's commute to and from work in mind, particularly if that commute to and from work will have to be made during rush hour.

Old 08-20-2013, 07:47 AM

1,062 posts, read 1,217,901 times
Welcome! I'm not sure where Whole Foods are intown, but you should consider renting on the west side of town. If you want to avoid student neighbors, I'd avoid Berkeley Heights and probably Envoy. Living there, you'd have a backdoor to the sports arenas, and you'd be across the interstate from Midtown and Downtown.

Old 08-20-2013, 08:39 AM

2,685 posts, read 6,047,654 times
There is a whole foods near Midtown on Ponce across from PCM, one in Buckhead and also one in northeast Atlanta ITP.

Old 08-20-2013, 10:10 AM

Hi guys!! Thanks so much for the replies! Im am a retired peace officer, no job, just focusing on my schooling so working and traffic isnt a issue. Only in the case i have to go to the community college for classes. Thanks again for the response!

Old 08-21-2013, 04:03 AM

Quote:

Quote:
Hi guys!! Thanks so much for the replies! Im am a retired peace officer, no job, just focusing on my schooling so working and traffic isnt a issue. Only in the case i have to go to the community college for classes. Thanks again for the response!
The area that immediately come to mind as being relatively convenient to a Whole Foods Market, a Kaiser (by which I presume you mean a Kaiser Permanente location) and a community college is Sandy Springs.

Sandy Springs is the site of a Whole Foods and a Kaiser Permanente location.
Sandy Springs | Whole Foods Market
Locations - Kaiser Permanente Careers

Sandy Springs is also relatively close (roughly about 6 miles or so) from a major community college campus at Georgia Perimeter College in Dunwoody.
http://depts.gpc.edu/~gpcdun/#.UhSQJL7D-M8

There literally tons of affordable apartments of all kinds in the Sandy Springs and Dunwoody areas which are close-in major suburbs that are both located just inside and just outside the Top End of the I-285 Perimeter.

Because the Whole Foods Market, the Kaiser location and the major community college campus are all located relatively close to each other in the Sandy Springs-Dunwoody area, an area that is chock full of affordable rentals in your price range, the Sandy Springs/Dunwoody/Top End Perimeter area is most-likely the area where you should start your search in Metro Atlanta.

The arena for the NBA Atlanta Hawks (Philips Arena) and the stadium for the NFL Atlanta Falcons (the Georgia Dome) are roughly about 15 miles away in Downtown Atlanta and are easily reachable via Georgia Highway 400.

Old 08-21-2013, 06:46 PM

Thank you so much for the suggestions.Im gonna start looking online at apts in those areas you suggested. And yes, I did mean Kaiser Permanente!I will be coming to Atlanta in Nov or Dec when I get a break in my Nursing Program here to check things out. As this is a major out of state move, I want to be prepared ahead of time! If you think of any other ideas please let me know. Thanks again for taking the time to respond and put the links for me to check out! ~

Old 08-21-2013, 07:17 PM

Quote:
Thank you so much for the suggestions.Im gonna start looking online at apts in those areas you suggested. And yes, I did mean Kaiser Permanente!I will be coming to Atlanta in Nov or Dec when I get a break in my Nursing Program here to check things out. As this is a major out of state move, I want to be prepared ahead of time! If you think of any other ideas please let me know. Thanks again for taking the time to respond and put the links for me to check out! ~
The Sandy Springs/Dunwoody/Top End Perimeter area is probably your best bet because of the relatively close proximity of the Whole Foods, Kaiser and Georgia Perimeter College to each other.

That close proximity of those 3 key locations to each other plus the presence of so much of the type of affordable housing that you are looking for all over that area is very-important because it would help you to minimize your driving during, particularly during the busiest times of day when the most traffic is out on the roads.

Of course, there are other places around Metro Atlanta, particularly on the Northside of Metro Atlanta where all of the Whole Foods Markets are located, but there does not seem to be any other part of Metro Atlanta where a Whole Foods, a Kaiser, a major community college campus and so many rental options are all located so relatively close to each other like they are in the Sandy Springs/Dunwoody/Top End Perimeter area.

Because the Sandy Springs/Dunwoody/Top End Perimeter area has all the needs and amenities that you are looking for and then some, the time that you spend in your car driving would be minimized, something that likely would not be the case if you lived elsewhere in Metro Atlanta with your particular set of logistical needs.

You locate anywhere else in Metro Atlanta, and you will likely spend a lot more time in your car than you will like as Metro Atlanta has a fairly-limited road network that is often way-overcapacity with traffic during daylight hours.

Concentrating your focus in the Sandy Springs/Dunwoody/Top End Perimeter area where there are tons-and-tons of rentals of all price ranges and all of your needs and amenities are located very-relatively close to each other by Metro Atlanta's sprawling standards would keep you from having to spend an excessive amount of time in your car.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta