Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-21-2013, 07:20 PM

11 posts, read 23,179 times

Advertisements

Hi all - It looks like we will be moving to Atlanta next summer. It is my hometown and so I am very familiar with the different areas, but much less clear on Catholic schools since I went to public school. Our son is in parochial school now (2nd grade), and we would like to keep him in parochial when we move. We would be starting in the 2014-2015 school year.

We are flexible about neighborhoods - our budget for a house is $300,000 to $350,000, so likely looking OTP. My husband's office will be right near Perimeter Mall. We'd be willing to put up with a longer commute for a good school.

These are the schools on my radar right now:

Holy Redeemer
St. Jude the Apostle
St. Joseph (Marietta)
Queen of Angels

What can you tell me about any or all of these - likelihood of getting in, academics, social aspects, etc.? Are there other parochial schools I should consider?

TIA.

Last edited by 3rdtimesthecharm; 08-21-2013 at 07:27 PM.. Reason: clarification
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-21-2013, 07:50 PM

3,972 posts, read 12,661,614 times
I think it is a numbers game, most Catholic schools stay pretty full and I think they are all pretty similar. Any reason you didn't include Our Lady of the Assumption (OLA)?

You probably need to call the schools and inquire. For some schools, maybe all the ones you listed, diocese may matter and given that you don't live here, you may need to understand how that works. Are you an active Catholic? Unlike other parts of the country, where seats in Catholic schools are plentiful, Atlanta has a shortage and therefore, being an active Catholic seems to matter. (I was actually just talking about this today at lunch with a friend who is Catholic.)

Old 08-21-2013, 07:54 PM

207 posts, read 322,060 times
I've heard St. Jude is the hardest to get into, but I think that is largely due to its location. I don't really think there is much of a difference between the parochial schools in terms of academics--they are all great. If I remember correctly, St. Jude has more sports teams than most other parochial schools. Living near St. Jude (Sandy Springs, Dunwoody, or East Cobb) would also be doable with your budget and would keep your commute to a minimum.

Do you plan on sending your kid to Catholic high school as well? If so, you may want to consider that St. Jude largely feeds into St. Pius (Chamblee) or Marist (Brookhaven), while Holy Redeemer and Queen of Angels largely feed into Blessed Trinity (Roswell).

Old 08-21-2013, 07:58 PM

Thanks for the replies. Yes, we'd like to send him to Catholic high school as well. I overlooked OLA - I'll add that one to the list as well. I also looked into St. Thomas More, but I doubt we could afford Decatur unless we wanted a small house that needed updating, which we don't. I'm willing to consider that and also Immaculate Heart of Mary if they're viable, though.

We are active in our current Catholic parish, and I'm sure our pastor and our principal would be willing to write recs if that matters.

Old 08-21-2013, 08:09 PM

207 posts, read 322,060 times
St. Thomas More would land you pretty far from Perimeter Center, though. IHM and OLA are both great.

Old 08-21-2013, 08:18 PM

True - my husband would not relish the Decatur-to-Perimeter commute!

Old 08-21-2013, 08:20 PM

2,240 posts, read 5,859,250 times
How about Notre Dame Academy? It's now a Marist school. It's not super close to Perimeter, but no further than some of the others you've listed.

Notre Dame Academy: Home

Maybe Immaculate Heart of Mary too (Briarcliff/Lakeside area)

Immaculate Heart of Mary Catholic School

Finally, St. John Neumann (Lilburn)

St. John Neumann Regional Catholic School

Old 08-22-2013, 05:48 AM

3,493 posts, read 7,934,927 times
Another option would be Holy Spirit in Buckhead. Holy Spirit Prep - Atlanta's premier Pre-K2 through 12th grade Catholic, college prep choice

You would have a hard time finding a home in your budget immediately in the area, but could commute in from Sandy Springs quite easily and still be close to your husband's work in Dunwoody.

Holy Spirit is a K - 12 school so you would not need to apply out after lower school if you were happy there.

Old 08-22-2013, 07:16 AM

Thanks Pinetreelover. I looked at Holy Spirit, but the tuition is above our budget (ideally we want to stay in the $8K - $9K range).

Old 08-22-2013, 07:33 AM

2,613 posts, read 4,146,024 times
I only want to add that I love reading threads about Catholic schools partly bc the names of the schools are so cool! Queen of Angels? Blessed Trinity? Immaculate Heart? These names are really, really good. I imagine much thought goes into naming these schools. Good luck in whatever school you choose.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta