Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-27-2013, 11:10 AM

1,535 posts, read 2,372,970 times

Advertisements

Really what is the big thing between ATL and CLT???? Hell the skyline of Buckhead is about comparable to uptown Charlotte. Two cities in an entirely different universe, IMO.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-27-2013, 11:13 AM

5,110 posts, read 7,139,842 times
Quote:
I wish you would call out all the "insecure" people posting in the Atlanta forum daily

Old 08-27-2013, 07:24 PM

1,582 posts, read 2,185,203 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mutiny77 View Post
The interest has long gone. It's pretty much a distant memory at this point, and it's not like the HOF is going to up and relocate to Atlanta.

And of course regional business stories run in the AJC, but you don't see almost yearly recurring articles about one specific development in one city. They make Atlanta look like a sore loser and that's unfortunate.
What you don't seem to understand is that whenever the story appears about the state of that museum in Charlotte it is still of interest here for what should be obvious reasons. This is not hard to figure out. Its unfortunate that it offends you so much.

Sore loser? I think all involved are breathing a collective sigh of relief that Atlanta did not win this one.

Old 08-28-2013, 12:23 AM

37,881 posts, read 41,948,981 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by J2rescue View Post
What you don't seem to understand is that whenever the story appears about the state of that museum in Charlotte it is still of interest here for what should be obvious reasons. This is not hard to figure out. Its unfortunate that it offends you so much.

Sore loser? I think all involved are breathing a collective sigh of relief that Atlanta did not win this one.
If that constitutes the "interest" that the writers of these articles have in the HOF, then it makes even LESS sense for them to keep recycling the same ol' story year after year.

I'm not offended in the least, but it just screams "sore loser." So what, Atlanta lost a museum to regional competitor. Atlanta's not the only game in town anymore but its position at the top of the totem pole certainly remains secure so there's really no need for these consolation articles. Atlanta is more mature than that. As I said, the majority of people in this thread have said that the city needs to let it go so I'm definitely not alone in my sentiments.

Old 08-28-2013, 12:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigstick View Post
Really what is the big thing between ATL and CLT???? Hell the skyline of Buckhead is about comparable to uptown Charlotte. Two cities in an entirely different universe, IMO.
Size isn't everything and they aren't in an "entirely different universe." Clearly Atlanta is in a higher tier, but Charlotte as well as some other cities in the region have grown to the point where they can economically compete with Atlanta for certain developments and win--just as New Orleans is significantly smaller than Atlanta yet can compete vigorously with it for large-scale events, conventions, etc.

Old 01-14-2015, 07:23 PM

32,025 posts, read 36,782,996 times
Investing in NASCAR: What Could Go Wrong? - CityLab

Old 01-14-2015, 07:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by arjay57 View Post
It's been almost 8 years and this thread was dormant for almost a year and a half. Seriously: let it go. It's Charlotte's problem and has absolutely nothing to do with Atlanta at this point.

Old 01-14-2015, 07:37 PM

1,243 posts, read 1,377,719 times
Double whammy for North Carolina and Charlotte...

Just tonight the Charlotte news was reporting about the loss of the Chiquita headquarters. Charlotte and the state of North Carolina want the incentives paid back as they were supposed to remain for 10 years to be in the clear. Since they didn't stay but 3 years, they will return 1.5 million dollars in incentives. Also brought up was the NASCAR museum and it's failure to make a profit and low attendance. The Chiquita headquarters is in the skyscraper that was part of the museum complex. Both of them are major flops and a blow to the city...

Old 01-14-2015, 07:47 PM

7,582 posts, read 10,770,863 times
I still like hearing updates about it. Not in an effort to put Charlotte down, but the reference to attendance projections. Charlotte leaders admitted to having been loose with the numbers beforehand. This was largely due to inexperience and it came back to bite them.

The reason I care is I still get nervous from time to time that our various new museums have the wrong projections too.

It also sort of reminds me how Underground Atlanta became the city's projects that was well-intentioned, but became a long-term financial drain.

The rest of that article... Atlanta went through the same pain, so its not like we can really say much.

Old 01-14-2015, 07:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AtlantaIsHot View Post
Double whammy for North Carolina and Charlotte...

Just tonight the Charlotte news was reporting about the loss of the Chiquita headquarters. Charlotte and the state of North Carolina want the incentives paid back as they were supposed to remain for 10 years to be in the clear. Since they didn't stay but 3 years, they will return 1.5 million dollars in incentives. Also brought up was the NASCAR museum and it's failure to make a profit and low attendance. The Chiquita headquarters is in the skyscraper that was part of the museum complex. Both of them are major flops and a blow to the city...
Chiquita wasn't really a "flop;" it was acquired by a Brazilian company shortly after relocating to Charlotte which is just a normal day in the business world unfortunately. Thankfully the HQ closure only affects a little over 300 people and it didn't take up the majority of space in that office tower. But the city will definitely have to find a long-term solution for the HOF.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta