Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-12-2011, 06:55 AM

15 posts, read 60,263 times

Advertisements

Don't move to Kennesaw. You are required by law to own a firearm in that city (and I'm so glad I live close by their city limits).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-12-2011, 07:30 AM

7,887 posts, read 17,192,862 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Green Sub View Post
Don't move to Kennesaw. You are required by law to own a firearm in that city (and I'm so glad I live close by their city limits).
OK...let's not spread false information. Here is the truth:

Back in the 1970s, a town in Illinois passed an ordinance prohibiting firearms within its city limits. At that time, Kennesaw was a relatively sleepy and somewhat redneck northwest GA town and was not really considered an Atlanta suburb.

In response to what they saw as an affront to their rights, the City of Kennesaw passed what was largely a symbolic ordinance that required all heads of household to own a firearm, but there were a host of exceptions. In addition, the ordinance has never been enforced and no one has ever been prosecuted for not owning a weapon.

The law was a bit of a joke in the early 1980s when I moved to the Atlanta area the first time, and with the influx of transplants and the growth of the West Cobb area, it is a vestigial remain of the old 1970s city leaders. Should it be removed from the books...yes.

Old 02-12-2011, 09:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by neil0311 View Post
OK...let's not spread false information. Here is the truth:
Here is the real truth. It was passed in 1982.
Municode - Search

Sec. 34-21. - Heads of households to maintain firearms.
(a)
In order to provide for the emergency management of the city, and further in order to provide for and protect the safety, security and general welfare of the city and its inhabitants, every head of household residing in the city limits is required to maintain a firearm, together with ammunition therefore.
(b)
Exempt from the effect of this section are those heads of households who suffer a physical or mental disability which would prohibit them from using such a firearm. Further exempt from the effect of this section are those heads of households who are paupers or who conscientiously oppose maintaining firearms as a result of beliefs or religious doctrine, or persons convicted of a felony.

Old 02-12-2011, 09:09 AM

32,025 posts, read 36,782,996 times
What would happen to the crime rate in Kennesaw if you took this law off the books?

Old 02-12-2011, 09:22 AM

Quote:
In response to an Illinois town that passed an ordinance, and I believe that was in the late 1970s. If it was 1980 or 1981, would that make a difference?

Want to pick some more nits, or are you all done?

Old 02-12-2011, 09:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by arjay57 View Post
What would happen to the crime rate in Kennesaw if you took this law off the books?
Absolutely nothing. Do you really think anyone takes that into consideration? What do you suppose is the actual rate of gun ownership, and do you think it would decline if there was no law? Does anyone believe that people who would not otherwise own a weapon own one because of the ordinance?

Old 02-12-2011, 09:27 AM

Quote:
Since I'm a believer in accuracy...here is the info on the Ill town:

On June 8, 1981, the Morton Grove Village Board of Trustees passed the history making ban on handgun possession, as well as the sale of handguns. The Village Board's 4-2 vote led the Village into nation-wide prominence as the first community to ban the possession of handguns within its boundaries.

Old 02-12-2011, 09:33 AM

705 posts, read 1,110,645 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by spp17 View Post
We are considering a move to north Fulton County within the next few months. After going back and forth and moving past the issues of violence in the area, we are now concerned with gun control laws. Is there a high percentage of people in this area that own guns and do people carry guns? Coming from NJ where this is a big no no, we are really concerned. Please give honest answers. I am really concerned about eventually letting my children visit friends and there are guns in their homes...etc....

We live in Hunterdon County, NJ where there is virtually no crime for miles, only a few sex offenders and wonderful families. I feel like we live in a bubble, but it is very expensive. So, we are looking at different options.

Thank you for your help!
From the way I read your post your concern is with other people having firearms and your children being around these other people.

It really doesnt matter what the gun control laws are. People are either going to be responsible or they're not. NYC has one of the most stringent laws in the form of their Sullivan Act, which is the most rediculous law in existince, in my opinion, but that hasn't stopped stupidity.

GA laws allow for the purchase of firearms without any licensing or registration, but there is the waiting period-background check unless the purchaser has a concealed carry permit which allows the sale immediatly.

The best thing to do is to know who your childrens friends are and what kind of home your children will be in. I've told this hundreds of time; I have a test handung in my drawer, it's been there for over 30 years, I'm testing it to see if it accidentally discharges, it hasn't so far.

In my opinion, again, there's no such thing as an accidental discharge, just a negligent discharge.

Old 02-12-2011, 09:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by axemanjoe View Post
From the way I read your post your concern is with other people having firearms and your children being around these other people.

It really doesnt matter what the gun control laws are. People are either going to be responsible or they're not. NYC has one of the most stringent laws in the form of their Sullivan Act, which is the most rediculous law in existince, in my opinion, but that hasn't stopped stupidity.

GA laws allow for the purchase of firearms without any licensing or registration, but there is the waiting period-background check unless the purchaser has a concealed carry permit which allows the sale immediatly.

The best thing to do is to know who your childrens friends are and what kind of home your children will be in. I've told this hundreds of time; I have a test handung in my drawer, it's been there for over 30 years, I'm testing it to see if it accidentally discharges, it hasn't so far.

In my opinion, again, there's no such thing as an accidental discharge, just a negligent discharge.
Don't you agree, as a LEO, that you receive training on proper firearms handling and use, and that training is essential when handling a deadly weapon?

Why is it that the state requires training and licensing to cut someone's hair, but anyone can buy, own, and carry a handgun, as long as they pass a minimal background check. They do not need any understanding of the weapon or any training on the ownership and use. Does that make any sense?

I have a clean record and could go buy a gun today, yet I don't know the first thing about guns, other than they kill a lot of people. Does that make any sense?

Old 02-12-2011, 10:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by neil0311 View Post
In response to an Illinois town that passed an ordinance, and I believe that was in the late 1970s. If it was 1980 or 1981, would that make a difference?

Want to pick some more nits, or are you all done?
No, I am not done. I love it when people that don't know a thing about firearms want to dictate to those of us that do. You admitted in the above post that

"I don't know the first thing about guns, other than they kill a lot of people"

One more thing. I have fired literally 10's of thousands of rounds of ammunition and I have never shot anyone. Maybe, just maybe, firearms are used for other purposes than killing people. Think about it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta