Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-12-2011, 10:37 AM

705 posts, read 1,110,234 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by neil0311 View Post
Don't you agree, as a LEO, that you receive training on proper firearms handling and use, and that training is essential when handling a deadly weapon?

Why is it that the state requires training and licensing to cut someone's hair, but anyone can buy, own, and carry a handgun, as long as they pass a minimal background check. They do not need any understanding of the weapon or any training on the ownership and use. Does that make any sense?

I have a clean record and could go buy a gun today, yet I don't know the first thing about guns, other than they kill a lot of people. Does that make any sense?
No, I do not think people should receive any more training than what they are comfortable with. There's is no training involved when someone buys a hammer, a knife, a bat, etc. A firearm is not going to do anything unles a person manipulates it, whether it's discharged or used as a bludgeon. It is people actions that are the problem and that need to be dealt with, not inanimate objects.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-12-2011, 10:39 AM

7,887 posts, read 17,187,870 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by axemanjoe View Post
No, I do not think people should receive any more training than what they are comfortable with. There's is no training involved when someone buys a hammer, a knife, a bat, etc. A firearm is not going to do anything unles a person manipulates it, whether it's discharged or used as a bludgeon. It is people actions that are the problem and that need to be dealt with, not inanimate objects.
You are really and honesty comparing a firearm to a "knife, a bat" ...in all seriousness? When is the last time you were called to the scene of a drive by batting? When is the last time a kid found a bat in his parent's closet and beat himself to death?

Why do gun proponents lose all logic and sanity when the subject of guns is discussed? Is requiring training for gun owners really that onerous and outlandish?

Old 02-12-2011, 10:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Green Sub View Post
No, I am not done. I love it when people that don't know a thing about firearms want to dictate to those of us that do. You admitted in the above post that

"I don't know the first thing about guns, other than they kill a lot of people"
Look..no one is "dictating anything" except the gun lobby that wants to arm everyone to the teeth and rejects even the mildest and most sane recommendations for training and licensing.

Quote:
One more thing. I have fired literally 10's of thousands of rounds of ammunition and I have never shot anyone.
Well aren't you special, and maybe you're just smarter than the rest of us. Just where are you firing these "10s of thousands of rounds" so I can stay the hell away from your neighborhood?

Old 02-12-2011, 10:59 AM

15 posts, read 60,247 times
Quote:
Look..no one is "dictating anything" except the gun lobby that wants to arm everyone to the teeth and rejects even the mildest and most sane recommendations for training and licensing.

Well aren't you special, and maybe you're just smarter than the rest of us. Just where are you firing these "10s of thousands of rounds" so I can stay the hell away from your neighborhood?
Metro Atlanta has a minimum of 4 outdoor commercial gun ranges within a 40 mile radius of downtown. Then there are the ranges that are located in the National Forest. Yes, YOUR tax dollars at work. Then there are probably 20 or more indoor ranges. I have shot competitively at least once per month for the last 9 years. It's usually 150 rounds per match. Then add all the other rounds I have fired since about 1967 and that's how I came up with the amount.

Since you live in Marietta, I would invite you to go to Nick's on Sandy Plains Road to get some training. Even if you don't purchase a firearm, you will have a better understanding about them. If you get hooked, buy a good reloader. Ammo is expensive :-)

Last edited by Green Sub; 02-12-2011 at 11:25 AM..

Old 02-12-2011, 12:04 PM

705 posts, read 1,110,234 times
Quote:
You are really and honesty comparing a firearm to a "knife, a bat" ...in all seriousness? When is the last time you were called to the scene of a drive by batting? When is the last time a kid found a bat in his parent's closet and beat himself to death?

Why do gun proponents lose all logic and sanity when the subject of guns is discussed? Is requiring training for gun owners really that onerous and outlandish?
You're missing my point. The average criminal will tell you that he has absolutley no fireatms training, but ask him how many times he has hit his target. Statistics show that police officers hit their intended target 25% of the time. That's a 75% failure rate. So much for "training."

Your statement regarding the kid beating himself to death with a bat is a good analogy. There is training and there is common sense. People do not need training to use a firearm effectively, they need to use common sense when it comes to firearms.

Last edited by axemanjoe; 02-12-2011 at 12:12 PM..

Old 02-12-2011, 03:54 PM

2,390 posts, read 4,403,839 times
Quote:
Metro Atlanta has a minimum of 4 outdoor commercial gun ranges within a 40 mile radius of downtown. Then there are the ranges that are located in the National Forest. Yes, YOUR tax dollars at work. Then there are probably 20 or more indoor ranges. I have shot competitively at least once per month for the last 9 years. It's usually 150 rounds per match. Then add all the other rounds I have fired since about 1967 and that's how I came up with the amount.

Since you live in Marietta, I would invite you to go to Nick's on Sandy Plains Road to get some training. Even if you don't purchase a firearm, you will have a better understanding about them. If you get hooked, buy a good reloader. Ammo is expensive :-)
I go to Nicks once or twice a week every week.

Old 02-13-2011, 07:30 AM

While I think the southern gun culture is over the top, unfortunately it's here to stay. You guys still are ignoring my question.

Why is it a bad thing to require owners of deadly firearms to be trained and proficient in their use? Why does the gun lobby push for carrying by anyone, anywhere, and under any circumstances? It's not rational and not proportional to the threat, even here in Atlanta, where gun violence is much worse than other places I've lived where the gun culture is not big.

I lived in Massachusetts, and while there are some wacky politics there, hardly anyone has a gun; guns are very hard to buy and carry, and there is not the parade of shootings every night on the TV news. In fact, the town I used to live in had a murder back in 2003. It was the first one in more than 30 years, and it was a blunt force trauma death, not a gunshot. Here in Atlanta, you can't look in any direction without a shooting or shooting death. We can debate the reason....but that's fact.

Old 02-13-2011, 07:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by axemanjoe View Post
You're missing my point. The average criminal will tell you that he has absolutley no fireatms training, but ask him how many times he has hit his target. Statistics show that police officers hit their intended target 25% of the time. That's a 75% failure rate. So much for "training.".
No...you're missing my point. Not discussing criminals. We can't control or influence criminal behavior by its own definition. My point is about legal owners...so-called "law abiding citizens" that everyone talks about needing to carry guns everywhere, all the time.

We train and license operators of motor vehicles because they are dangerous and can kill. We train and license people who perform work on your home, because they can make your home unsafe if they don't perform their work properly....yet any moron (and some are) can go to a gun store and buy a gun, provided they have not been previously convicted of a felony or diagnosed with mental illess. If they want a permit to carry...they "shall" be issued that permit. There is no requirement that they know what they're doing or have a clue how to operate that deadly weapon.

You make my point even more when you state that even with training, guns are not reliable for the purpose intended. Even a trained LEO puts people at risk when they fire their weapon, although it's a calculated risk we take to protect the public, and LEO's are highly trained on when/where to use their weapons.

The average gun owner doesn't have any training and might go to a firing range to perfect their aim, but they do not drill around when to use their weapon and the mental decisions involved. It's rational and common sense. How can anyone disagree?

Old 02-13-2011, 08:47 AM

2,390 posts, read 4,403,839 times
Look you can theorize all you want but the law is the law and its not going anywhere. Thats pretty much that.

Old 02-13-2011, 08:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by brownhornet View Post
Look you can theorize all you want but the law is the law and its not going anywhere. Thats pretty much that.
Only because people accept it. Look at Sunday alcohol sales in GA. The rest of the country has long since moved on, but here the closed minded still cling to their status quo. Will gun laws in GA change tomorrow....nope. Does that mean that sane people shouldn't work to change them....nope.

I will keep asking my elected officials the same questions and will give my money to organizations that work on my behalf. If I ever get to the point where I just can't take it anymore, then I'll do like I did when I came here....move.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta