Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
2,500,000 members. Thank you!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-25-2013, 07:49 PM

98 posts, read 261,169 times

Advertisements

My son's currently in a private school here in Phoenix, AZ. His public school was unable to provide him the means to manage his behaviors so they diverted the funds they were getting from the state to put him into a private school for learning disabled children. I grew up in GA...and miss that life. My wife was with me last year when we visited the bookoos of family I have there and loved what she saw. Now we both are itching to get there...preferably in the north east Alpharetta or Buford area. We know we'd have to put my son back into a public school. Has anyone had any experience with how the public schools manage learning disabled children? My son's high functioning autistic.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-25-2013, 07:56 PM

3,972 posts, read 12,586,716 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ShanMan72 View Post
My son's currently in a private school here in Phoenix, AZ. His public school was unable to provide him the means to manage his behaviors so they diverted the funds they were getting from the state to put him into a private school for learning disabled children. I grew up in GA...and miss that life. My wife was with me last year when we visited the bookoos of family I have there and loved what she saw. Now we both are itching to get there...preferably in the north east Alpharetta or Buford area. We know we'd have to put my son back into a public school. Has anyone had any experience with how the public schools manage learning disabled children? My son's high functioning autistic.
Not particularly well, overall, but there are obviously some exceptions.

First question, do you intend for him to graduate/finish at 18?

Second question, could you describe what you mean by high functioning? Can he be mainstreamed? Do you expect him to graduate with a regular diploma?

Old 08-25-2013, 09:08 PM

98 posts, read 261,169 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lastminutemom View Post
Not particularly well, overall, but there are obviously some exceptions.

First question, do you intend for him to graduate/finish at 18?

Second question, could you describe what you mean by high functioning? Can he be mainstreamed? Do you expect him to graduate with a regular diploma?
We'd like very much for him to graduate when he's 18. We know it's do-able. As I said, he's high functioning. This means he is able to be mainstreamed with some exception. He has some aggression issues as well as an issue with elopement. So where he was at before he had speech therapy and OT. He also had an aide that helped him all day (to assist in the elopement and redirection of his, at times, aggressive behavior). Thanks for your response.

Old 09-25-2014, 06:34 PM

1 posts, read 2,062 times
Since every child is different I would suggest placing him in the public school and seeing how things go with the support that he is provided. If he has difficulties in the public school setting, Georgia has something called SB10 where those same public funds can be diverted to a private school of your choice.

(I know this thread is old, but figured this might be helpful for someone else as well)

Old 09-26-2014, 12:59 PM

2,613 posts, read 4,110,049 times
There are also the IEP scholarships that any child with an IEP that wants to go private can obtain.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tamfra View Post
Since every child is different I would suggest placing him in the public school and seeing how things go with the support that he is provided. If he has difficulties in the public school setting, Georgia has something called SB10 where those same public funds can be diverted to a private school of your choice.

(I know this thread is old, but figured this might be helpful for someone else as well)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
View detailed profiles of: