Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-29-2013, 02:51 PM

10,744 posts, read 13,384,671 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by 10 feet tall View Post
Somehow this thread deteriorated into greek vs GDI.

There are apparently a lot of sensitive souls on this subject.
There are many of us who greatly benefited from our affiliation with a Greek house. I made wonderful fraternity friends my college years. I know that you don't have to be in the Greek system to make wonderful friends. But, yes, I will defend it as I know many young men and women have flourished in the Greek system. Yes, of course, there are some bad seeds. But there are bad seeds on college campuses who have nothing to do with the Greek system (Lord, look at the whole crazy Florida A&M and thing not so long ago). I just think the whole Animal House public perception unduly denigrates the Greek system as a whole.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-29-2013, 02:53 PM

1,207 posts, read 2,812,722 times
If the OP feels that being in a sorority will increase her daughter's chances of being exposed to bad guys and potential date rape, I would suggest looking at smaller schools where the Greek system is insignificant or non-existent. One of my daughters went to a smaller private university in Maryland without frats/sororities and had a great time. I still worried about parties, alcohol, drug abuse and date rape. You have to have trust that you've raised your children to be able to have good judgement and be responsible no matter where they land.

The three schools she wanted input on (UGA,UNC and Auburn) happen to have strong Greek traditions that are a big part of the social scene at those schools.

Old 08-29-2013, 02:59 PM

10,744 posts, read 13,384,671 times
Okay - I believe in fair and even handed reporting, even if I don't like what it has to say. So (drum roll), here's a bit of research (cannot vouch for the organization) which gives validity to the idea that the Greek system breeds bad behavior more often than the non-Greek system. 15 Frightening Facts about Sororities and Fraternities - Zen College Life

Old 08-29-2013, 03:07 PM

221 posts, read 247,757 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnsleyPark View Post
Okay - I believe in fair and even handed reporting, even if I don't like what it has to say. So (drum roll), here's a bit of research (cannot vouch for the organization) which gives validity to the idea that the Greek system breeds bad behavior more often than the non-Greek system. 15 Frightening Facts about Sororities and Fraternities - Zen College Life
LOL, don't ever doubt me again.

I covered pretty much each one of these 15 facts outside of the fact they still paddle new recruits.

I never knew this went on in the first place. I never heard anything bad about hazing at Clemson, although those alcohol poisoning deaths might have been during hazing.

Frat boys are basically sex addicts, and lot of the sorority girls are too.

Your average frat boy is like that dude in the Wedding Crashers, the one who seems to be on steroids and has some anger issues and thinks he is the man.

Old 08-29-2013, 05:27 PM

2,530 posts, read 4,772,627 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by roxyrn View Post
If the OP feels that being in a sorority will increase her daughter's chances of being exposed to bad guys and potential date rape, I would suggest looking at smaller schools where the Greek system is insignificant or non-existent. One of my daughters went to a smaller private university in Maryland without frats/sororities and had a great time. I still worried about parties, alcohol, drug abuse and date rape. You have to have trust that you've raised your children to be able to have good judgement and be responsible no matter where they land.

The three schools she wanted input on (UGA,UNC and Auburn) happen to have strong Greek traditions that are a big part of the social scene at those schools.
Just a point of clarification - the OP (loveoranecounty) is not anti-greek and from my take is supportive of her daughter joining a sorority. OrangeCrush6317 is just another poster in this thread

Old 08-29-2013, 05:48 PM

1,207 posts, read 2,812,722 times
Thanks for clarifying, Lorilove. I was confused by all of the orange....

Old 08-29-2013, 05:49 PM

23,461 posts, read 44,083,751 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lorilove View Post
Just a point of clarification - the OP (loveoranecounty) is not anti-greek and from my take is supportive of her daughter joining a sorority. OrangeCrush6317 is just another poster in this thread
Too right. Me and my girls from Delta Delta Delta (can I hep u hep u hep u?) I made lifelong friends there. Five of us still get together at my place on SSI to talk **** and exchange pictures of our grandchildren.

Old 08-29-2013, 06:14 PM

298 posts, read 628,122 times
Wow, again about the sorority's. I am concerned about the alcohol, date rapes and general bad behavior of fraternities and sorority's but I think the thing that floors me the most is the air of snobbery. I guess I expected this generation to be beyond this archaic attitude. My hope and hers is that she'll find a more down to earth sorority that she is comfortable with. I know if they really judge her on the brand of shoes, purse, dress whatever, she will run down to the nearest Target and buy a new outfit to shock them....and then get kicked out. It's not that she couldn't afford to dress like that, it's just not a priority. She'll find her "group" whether it's in a sorority or some other way. She is a pole vaulter and also considered vaulting in college. While touring Auburn our waitress had just graduated from Auburn and was in a sorority. We asked quite a few questions about the college and the sorority's, she gushed about both, and commented how flexible her sorority was compared to some. I am just having a really hard time wrapping my mind around that ALL sorority's have this superior attitude. How is that fun?

Old 08-29-2013, 06:38 PM

2,240 posts, read 5,858,568 times
My sister was in one of the "top" sororities at UGA in the early '90's. She was gung ho freshman and sophomore year, a little disaffected junior year, and totally disconnected senior year. The superficiality just started to grate, I think. By the end of it, she said she still liked her "sisters," but just couldn't relate to the whole rush process anymore. Those meetings were pretty awful, and she got disgusted with the whole thing.

I know I've mentioned it, but I loved the process at Davidson. At the time, there were three women's eating houses with three very distinct personalities. We did "self-selection," and as long as there were enough spots, you were in to your first choice. We did all the same stuff as sororities (semi-formals, "date functions," and eating with the girls). The difference was that there was virtually no stress and no need to "dress up" or pretend to be anything you aren't. Definitely more my speed.

Old 08-29-2013, 06:41 PM

8,057 posts, read 12,859,079 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by loveorangecounty View Post
Wow, again about the sorority's. I am concerned about the alcohol, date rapes and general bad behavior of fraternities and sorority's but I think the thing that floors me the most is the air of snobbery. I guess I expected this generation to be beyond this archaic attitude. My hope and hers is that she'll find a more down to earth sorority that she is comfortable with. I know if they really judge her on the brand of shoes, purse, dress whatever, she will run down to the nearest Target and buy a new outfit to shock them....and then get kicked out. It's not that she couldn't afford to dress like that, it's just not a priority. She'll find her "group" whether it's in a sorority or some other way. She is a pole vaulter and also considered vaulting in college. While touring Auburn our waitress had just graduated from Auburn and was in a sorority. We asked quite a few questions about the college and the sorority's, she gushed about both, and commented how flexible her sorority was compared to some. I am just having a really hard time wrapping my mind around that ALL sorority's have this superior attitude. How is that fun?
My daughter's experience with KKG (as well as general greek life) at Arkansas has been nothing like what is being described here. The very few that would even get close to this stereotype are known and avoided by most students that are there to get the benefits that the Greek system offers but who first and foremost are there to get a solid education.

My daughter is very outdoorsy... wears sandals in warm weather and boots in cold. She does dress up for home football games... a tradition with her sorority, but she dresses down more now at college than she did in high school. If that is a no-no within KKG, she is certainly shunning it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta