Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-30-2013, 02:37 PM

1,207 posts, read 2,813,069 times

Advertisements

Just to let everyone know, I have posted to this thread so many times, not because I am the world's best mom or have the most perfect children. But, because I have gone through the college admissions process four times with my own kids with varying degrees of "success." My kids have gone to large public universities, including UNC, as well as small private colleges. Half went Greek, one went somewhere without Greeks and one chose not to rush. Four different kids with different strengths and weaknesses and four different career paths. One got a graduate degree in Public Policy and one is in his second year of law school. So, I've been down the path that OP is starting and I have learned a lot. I've seen those letters come one by one with resulting elation or devastation. I've seen the computer screen pop up what we didn't want to see. I know how hard this process is and I know that somehow it all works out in the end. They're in those caps and gowns before you've even had time to remodel their rooms.

So, I encourage you all to gather all of the information you can to make informed choices, encourage you children to be their best and then just let the numbers play out. This isn't about them achieving our goals, but wanting to help them to be the best they can be. I just wish the system wasn't so painful. But then, the real pain is when that first tuition bill arrives in the mail.....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-30-2013, 02:41 PM

13,981 posts, read 25,954,920 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by roxyrn View Post
Watching her memorize "The Odyssey" and "The Crucible" on vacations, as well as seeing her onstage in three productions each school year, and earning decent grades, I am pretty confident she wasn't hanging out at the bars...
-at least not every night.

I never used to check on my kids' grades- just waited to see their name listed in our local newspaper each semester as being on the Dean's List at their colleges.
A close family friend, and my own niece, majored in theater. One was at Emerson, the other Pace. The girl at Emerson is doing background work for several tv shows based in NYC. My niece does summer stock in Maine, and is now studying to be a musical therapist. They love their lives, and really, what more can we ask?

I have to mention though, that neither of these pretty girls has found a partner. It seems the theater major appeals overwhelmingly to gay men. They have wonderful friends, just no prospects for long term relationships.

Old 08-30-2013, 02:56 PM

8,057 posts, read 12,860,718 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by loveorangecounty View Post
Thank you for all the responses again. This post on the GA forum especially, has really taken off. In my heart I think UNC is a better fit for my daughters personality but it is still a very long shot for her admissions-wise. Her heart is at Auburn and a close second UGA. We both have been reading the greek chat site to get a better feel for the sororities, which have been helpful. UGA does seem to be very competitive for sororities, sounds like second to Ol Miss. Who knows, maybe it will be a blessing if she doesn't get into one. I have suggested the colleges many of you have brought up. So far no additions on her part, especially the small colleges. We'll keep digging and looking and reading more posts. As I've said in a previous post somewhere, I think they may just by flipping a coin up in that admissions office. There are so many variables they consider.
I do have this one little tidbit to add on the difference between Auburn and UNC and this info is nothing you mentioned in your OP and might not sway your decision one iota but will throw it out.

I have many, many friends that went to Auburn. To a tee all of them are very commited Christians and many of them go on about the Christian atmosphere at Auburn. Don't have any stats to back it up, but at one time Auburn had the largest Campus Crusade group, the largest Baptist Student Union and the largest of one of the other national Christian campus organizations (name escapes me right now) in the entire country. Samford University is my alma mater, it is the largest private school in Alabama and closely aligned with the Southern Baptist Convention. One of my good friends used to rib me that I went to Alabama's largest Baptist university but he went to Alabama's MOST Christian University.

I do have one connection, the daughter of close friends that went to undergrad at Auburn and then to UNC for grad school. I know this is anecdotal and only one persons viewpoint, but for her, the atmosphere was night and day. She felt very comfortable at Auburn as a commited Christian but felt very much in the minority and out of place as one at UNC.

Again, anecdotal and that perspective might make some like UNC more than Auburn. Just thought I would throw that bit of info out there since it concerned two of the schools you all are considering.

Old 08-30-2013, 03:16 PM

616 posts, read 1,113,203 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OrangeCrush6317 View Post
You should be, you could refuse to pay for her college if she does something that isn't a better bet for jobs. Lot of parents do this kind of thing. It's called tough love.

what does dd mean?

College needs to be more vocational in nature, it's become too liberal artsy in my opinion and the kids actually don't have any skills or practical knowledge at all.
If all you want is a technical education, DeVry will be happy to educate you. There is more to college than Greek vs GDI and getting a job.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cwkimbro View Post
While English majors will not do as well as Doctors or Engineers on average, it is a compete and total myth they don't do well and it is a worthless degree.
It is actually quite common that liberal arts majors become physicians, dentists, etc. Actually, at many medical schools, liberal arts majors have a higher rate of acceptance than science majors, and almost everywhere the acceptance rate of liberal arts majors is at least the same as science majors.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saintmarks View Post
I do have this one little tidbit to add on the difference between Auburn and UNC and this info is nothing you mentioned in your OP and might not sway your decision one iota but will throw it out.

I have many, many friends that went to Auburn. To a tee all of them are very commited Christians and many of them go on about the Christian atmosphere at Auburn. Don't have any stats to back it up, but at one time Auburn had the largest Campus Crusade group, the largest Baptist Student Union and the largest of one of the other national Christian campus organizations (name escapes me right now) in the entire country. Samford University is my alma mater, it is the largest private school in Alabama and closely aligned with the Southern Baptist Convention. One of my good friends used to rib me that I went to Alabama's largest Baptist university but he went to Alabama's MOST Christian University.

I do have one connection, the daughter of close friends that went to undergrad at Auburn and then to UNC for grad school. I know this is anecdotal and only one persons viewpoint, but for her, the atmosphere was night and day. She felt very comfortable at Auburn as a commited Christian but felt very much in the minority and out of place as one at UNC.

Again, anecdotal and that perspective might make some like UNC more than Auburn. Just thought I would throw that bit of info out there since it concerned two of the schools you all are considering.
Auburn was recently ranked as the most conservative school in the nation, according to the Princeton Review. Link below.

Auburn University the most conservative school in nation, according to the Princeton Review

Old 08-30-2013, 03:28 PM

16,701 posts, read 29,526,453 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by deacongirl View Post
Totally on the same page. Dd is still young, but it is clear where her interests and passions lie and I can't imagine them changing that significantly. Go liberal arts!
Yes--liberal arts is very important for many (most) jobs, professions, and, most importantly, our society.

From an article about how Microsoft lost its mojo:

Kurt Eichenwald (author of article)--Most interesting, however, is that Jobs put the ultimate blame on Bill Gates: “They were never as ambitious product-wise as they should have been. Bill likes to portray himself as a man of the product, but he’s really not. He’s a businessperson. Winning business was more important than making great products. Microsoft never had the humanities and liberal arts in its DNA.”

How Microsoft Lost Its Mojo: Steve Ballmer and Corporate America’s Most Spectacular Decline | Vanity Fair

Old 08-30-2013, 03:31 PM

221 posts, read 247,799 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 10 feet tall View Post
If all you want is a technical education, DeVry will be happy to educate you. There is more to college than Greek vs GDI and getting a job.

It is actually quite common that liberal arts majors become physicians, dentists, etc. Actually, at many medical schools, liberal arts majors have a higher rate of acceptance than science majors, and almost everywhere the acceptance rate of liberal arts majors is at least the same as science majors.

Auburn was recently ranked as the most conservative school in the nation, according to the Princeton Review. Link below.

Auburn University the most conservative school in nation, according to the Princeton Review
You are right, there is more to college than getting real skills, that is why like more than 50% of the college grads that graduated last 4 years or so are unemployed or working in retail. LOL

I'd probably would prefer to go to Devry than be unemployed or working in retail.

Old 08-30-2013, 03:33 PM

Steve Jobs never went to college and actually encouraged people not to go. So he can talk about liberal arts all he wants but his liberal arts studies were done on his own, not in college when you should be learning real skills, not doing hobby kind of stuff.

DIdn't Gates give Jobs some money to get APple going again back in the 90s? So maybe that business thing isn't such a bad thing.

Old 08-30-2013, 03:35 PM

Colleges in general are pretty liberal, wherever you go because young people tend to be liberal because they haven't seen how much Uncle Sam takes from people's paychecks yet. LOL

UNC is a hippie liberal school though and the professors like to preach their politics in the classroom. There is probably less of that at Auburn but it happens in their liberal arts programs for sure.

Old 08-30-2013, 03:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mattie View Post
A close family friend, and my own niece, majored in theater. One was at Emerson, the other Pace. The girl at Emerson is doing background work for several tv shows based in NYC. My niece does summer stock in Maine, and is now studying to be a musical therapist. They love their lives, and really, what more can we ask?

Yes--when I lived in Boston, many of my friends and a lot of my community was involved in the arts (music, theatre, dance, etc). These were full-on adults--young, medium, and seasoned.

One of the biggest things I learned was that they all were living decent sustainable lives, with decent sustainable jobs/gigs, etc, in a comfortably middle-class existence. And no, not independently wealthy, trustafarian, inheritance/rich family type people.

So, what's the lesson? Let children and young adults major and study what they want...and it will all work out. Really. The most important thing is that we are educating citizens and adding wondrous diversity, intellect, and human capital to our society.

Old 08-30-2013, 03:44 PM

I just realized something:

Mattie = Milton

Roxyrn = Roswell

And Mattie--you're a mother with teenage/grown-children as well, correct? And you're both transplants?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta