Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-28-2013, 02:23 PM

550 posts, read 989,506 times

Advertisements

I don't think that a high B, low A student would be accepted to Duke or Wake Forest. But Davidson and Elon are good schools worth considering. I think the greek question makes sense to address if schools where greek life is predominant are being discussed. I believe at a large university a student can find plenty of alternatives. And ultimately, yes, getting a great education depends on the individual student's motivation and work ethic.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-28-2013, 02:46 PM

13,981 posts, read 25,954,920 times
But Davidson and Elon are private, aren't they? No in-state tuition benefits there.

OP, I love the Chapel Hill area. But, don't let your daughter pin her hopes on getting in. My son had stellar grades, including A's in his dual enrolled classes at GA Tech and a very high SAT score, and was rejected. I was as surprised as he was, to be honest. He did get into the UGA honors program, and it has been a terrific experience. In your daughter's field of study, she will have opportunities to study at the Costa Rica UGA campus.

I know several friends and relatives who have gone to Auburn, and loved their time there as well.

Old 08-28-2013, 03:13 PM

2,240 posts, read 5,859,250 times
I went to Davidson. There are no sororities there, only eating houses as I mentioned earlier. If the OP is looking for a big state school, Davidson is pretty much the antithesis of that.

Old 08-28-2013, 03:42 PM

7,112 posts, read 10,133,686 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tarzanman View Post
Environmental science? Suggest Georgia Tech to her.

While the campus is not as pretty or as large in area as a UGA, it definitely offers a 'big college' experience.
And a surprisingly strong Greek scene. GT definitely gives the big college experience and the chances for a female getting in is better than for a guy.

Downside is that GT is not as competitive as say UGA in football. And GT is very tough academically once you're in, and getting into a sorority is very competitive. When I was there, getting a profs old exams is the better way to a good grade rather than studying hard. In some ways, the only way, and the Greek system has the exams "on file". And the Greeks need them because they do tend to party too much. That might be more the case for the frats though. The sororities are very strait-laced and their houses are so well-kept that you wonder if anyone lives there.

Old 08-28-2013, 03:53 PM

16,701 posts, read 29,526,453 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LovinDecatur View Post
I've heard great things about the U of A.
You're daughter is a KKG? My cousin at UGA is one. Better have the right shoes, bag and boyfriend for that one.
I'm not sure Princess Kate would make the cut.

I have as well.

So, to the OP:

In addition to Clemson and the University of Tennessee, you should add the University of Alabama and the University of South Carolina (Ansley Park's suggestions) to your list--as well as the University of Arkansas (Saintmark's suggestion).

I'd also like to recommend the Georgia Institute of Technology (Georgia Tech). A poster above also suggested this school. Georgia Tech is strong in Environmental Science, has a great sorority system+beautiful campus, and most importantly, can be a wonderful environment for a girl/young woman. Females are actually looked upon very favorably in the admissions process.
But--Georgia Tech could still be a reach for your daughter (but please apply anyway).

We have so many good state/public universities here down south!

Old 08-28-2013, 04:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by aries4118 View Post
I have as well.

So, to the OP:

In addition to Clemson and the University of Tennessee, you should add the University of Alabama and the University of South Carolina (Ansley Park's suggestions) to your list--as well as the University of Arkansas (Saintmark's suggestion).

I'd also like to recommend the Georgia Institute of Technology (Georgia Tech). A poster above also suggested this school. Georgia Tech is strong in Environmental Science, has a great sorority system+beautiful campus, and most importantly, can be a wonderful environment for a girl/young woman. Females are actually looked upon very favorably in the admissions process.
But--Georgia Tech could still be a reach for your daughter (but please apply anyway).

We have so many good state/public universities here down south!

To the OP: As a poster mentioned above, you should also place North Carolina State (NC State) on your list.

Old 08-28-2013, 04:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChefRamsey View Post
UT-Knox is a sun grant school, def recommend. That being said, UGA's agricultural science and environmental science program is probably one of the strongest in the south. UGA gets more research dollars from the FDA, EPA and USDA more than any other area of study I bet. The EPA has a research office up there. GA Tech is also good for environmental engineering, but you'll need the grades of course. UT-Knox is also fairly easy to get into in comparison to UGA and UNC..maybe Auburn as well. Greek life is big at all schools mentioned.

At Georgia Tech, I would actually recommend that the OP's daughter have a major in this program:

http://www.eas.gatech.edu/academics/envs

http://www.eas.gatech.edu/academics/prospective

School of Earth and Atmospheric Sciences | Georgia Institute of Technology

Old 08-28-2013, 05:01 PM

399 posts, read 700,777 times
Orange Crush has no knowledge how the UNC college system works and his/her comments should be disregarded.

I am a UNC-CH graduate and seeing as how you have in-state residency, I would recommend East Carolina University for your daughter. She wants big campus life, sororities and a beautiful campus. ECU has all that for less cost and would be a better choice if she chooses environmental science. That field is not what Chapel Hill is known for and NCSU is not a great sorority school. ECU would be easier academically for her as well yet is still a respected school.

Old 08-28-2013, 05:13 PM

221 posts, read 247,799 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mirabella View Post
ECU would be easier academically for her as well yet is still a respected school.
You basically just said her daughter can't handle a more challenging college (like UNC, of course, where you went (a bit of humblebrag?).

I'd recommend UNC-Charlotte over East Carolina.

Somebody on the Alabama forum, where the OP posted this same question, said UNC has one of the top environmental science programs. So everybody has a different opinion about these colleges on what they are "known for".

Old 08-28-2013, 05:13 PM

7,112 posts, read 10,133,686 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mirabella View Post
I am a UNC-CH graduate and seeing as how you have in-state residency, I would recommend East Carolina University for your daughter. She wants big campus life, sororities and a beautiful campus. ECU has all that for less cost and would be a better choice if she chooses environmental science. That field is not what Chapel Hill is known for and NCSU is not a great sorority school. ECU would be easier academically for her as well yet is still a respected school.
That's possibly true. Something like environmental science might require a Master's at least if you want to work in the field. In that case, where you go for graduate school will matter more. So in-state for undergrad, get good grades, have your college experience, then consider where is the best ES graduate program you can get into. Nothing new or cutting edge is taught at the undergrad level.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta