Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-29-2013, 07:45 AM

1,207 posts, read 2,805,838 times

Advertisements

When I was looking at college, I wanted to go to the best school possible for journalism, that we could afford to pay for without any loans. The University of Missouri fit the bill as a top J-school (the first, actually) and a great place to spend four years. It has a strong Greek system with beautiful houses -comparable to UNC, and is pretty much like the other schools in the SEC. But, most of all, it was a great program with a lot of post-grad connections. And, alum kids can go there and pay in-state tuition. I actually don't see any point in paying out-of-state tuition for a public school unless it offers the the education you are looking for.

Also, the OP is currently living in California.

Also, it is all a matter of perspective, because families in the northeast look down at all of the southern public schools, with the exception of UVA and UNC. Personally, I still recommend focusing on the school with the best academic program in the area you wish to study. And, with today's extreme competition to get into top schools, sometimes you need to explore smaller, lesser known colleges.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-29-2013, 08:02 AM

221 posts, read 247,050 times
Actually the OP is in Charlotte, that is why her daughter is looking at southeast schools. Apparently she can get in state in both NC and Cali.

Who cares if people in the northeast look down on southeastern colleges. All I know is Clemson had a ton of people from New Jersey and other northern states when I went there....I doubt you are going to find any SC people at Rutgers. LOL

Journalism is supposedly one of the worse majors, in terms of getting a job. I always thought journalism is somehting you could learn without going to college.

Old 08-29-2013, 09:23 AM

298 posts, read 626,123 times
Clemson is definitely on her list. We toured Clemson and USC last summer so they are not as fresh in her mind. At the time she didn't put Clemson at the top of her list because their sororities were in the dorms, but so are Auburn's, and she loved Auburn. She likes that Clemson and Auburn are large colleges in a small town setting. In fact someone described Clemson to us as Auburn with a lake. I asked if she wanted to tour Clemson and USC again this summer but we ran out of time.

We are realizing that the tour guides have a big influence on how you see their school. Auburn, UGA and UNC had great tours and our tour guides were very good. Our tour guide at Alabama was horrible and that school is towards the bottom of her list. Silly, I know, but if you don't get the information you need or the tour guide has some sort of negative quality it does cloud your judgement.

She has never thought of the mid-west schools. Not sure why, I think just not interested. She did look into Ol Miss but didn't add it to her list and she has never looked into any Florida schools.

Old 08-29-2013, 09:30 AM

550 posts, read 986,742 times
I think she needs to consider how she will feel at Auburn or similar if she doesn't get a bid. Would she still be interested in those schools if being in a sorority didn't work out?

Old 08-29-2013, 10:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by loveorangecounty View Post
Clemson is definitely on her list. We toured Clemson and USC last summer so they are not as fresh in her mind. At the time she didn't put Clemson at the top of her list because their sororities were in the dorms, but so are Auburn's, and she loved Auburn. She likes that Clemson and Auburn are large colleges in a small town setting. In fact someone described Clemson to us as Auburn with a lake. I asked if she wanted to tour Clemson and USC again this summer but we ran out of time.

We are realizing that the tour guides have a big influence on how you see their school. Auburn, UGA and UNC had great tours and our tour guides were very good. Our tour guide at Alabama was horrible and that school is towards the bottom of her list. Silly, I know, but if you don't get the information you need or the tour guide has some sort of negative quality it does cloud your judgement.

She has never thought of the mid-west schools. Not sure why, I think just not interested. She did look into Ol Miss but didn't add it to her list and she has never looked into any Florida schools.
Clemson has a lot of nice new dorms and I would be surprised if the women didn't get priority for them, as they should. The dorms are probably nicer than an off campus house would be and you are closer to classes and cafeteria, etc. I lived on campus all 4 years because I liked be able to walk everywhere.

I think Clemson and Auburn are pretty similar, land grant colleges. I think Clemson has a better location, close to the mountains and two pristine lakes, Lake Jocasee and Lake Keowee. I looked at going to Auburn a few years ago for a graduate program and it seems great too, a real green area, but it is a bit isolated in my view. If my parents lived in NC, it seems somewhat pointless to drive past Clemson to go to Auburn a few more hours away (and being forced to go thru Atlanta).

Clemson's environmental engineering program is supposedly top 20 in the country. It probably will require more math and understanding of physics than environment science but I thought it probabl more valuable of a degree. Clemson also has some other simlar programs like wildlife and fisheries biology and food science, and some other ones that she could explore if environmental science isn't exactly what she's looking for when she gets into it. I think a lot of young people want to major in environmental science but then they find out it is kind on the dry side and they transfer to another major.

Clemson also has a huge experimental forest as well as the large lake that the environmental science and other natural science majors will have access to during their classwork.

I'd recommend going to Clemson in the fall sometime, to a home football game. You could also stop off in Greenville SC, which is about 40 minutes away, and check out the awesome downtown area there with a huge pediastrian suspension bridge over a waterfall. A lot of Clemson students will go over to Greenville on the weekends so you can get the true college town experience with access to a bigger city while going to Clemson.

Old 08-29-2013, 10:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by deacongirl View Post
I think she needs to consider how she will feel at Auburn or similar if she doesn't get a bid. Would she still be interested in those schools if being in a sorority didn't work out?
Are there no sororities that will just accept anybody who wants to be in it? I have to think it isn't THAT difficult to get into at least one sorority. LOL

Old 08-29-2013, 10:34 AM

1,207 posts, read 2,805,838 times
Having gone through college visits with five children, I've been on countless tours from UCONN/Yale in Connecticut to Vanderbuilt and Tulane and they all say the same thing- our school is the best and your kid will love it here. The fact that the tour guide is such an influence is a horrible way to put a college at the top of your list or exclude it completely. Chances are you will never see that guide again.

Also, think long and hard about the sorority situation and how she will feel if she doesn't get a bid. I have seen a lot of girls go into depression or just drop out of school because they did not get into the sorority they wanted or any at all. At most of the schools on your list, rush/recruitment is brutal. And quite unfair, especially for out-of-state rushees who may not know anyone in any of the houses. And, some houses eliminate girls before they even step foot in the door, based on their application. This is the south....

Old 08-29-2013, 10:40 AM

I think the best way to make friends is students in your major. Also there are tons of clubs and social groups in addition to the greek stuff. I think sometimes the frat/sorority thing can force you into daily contact with people you don't like that much or have much in common with. It is good from the standpoint that you will meet more people more quickly but I like to have a little more control over who I hang out with, and I think frats/sororities almost prevent you from making any friends outside of the one you are in and maybe some of the ones you mix with at parties. I think many of the greeks have a set social schedule that you are expected to follow which would annoy me.

Old 08-29-2013, 10:55 AM

616 posts, read 1,110,825 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OrangeCrush6317 View Post
I have to think it isn't THAT difficult to get into at least one sorority.
This is true, there is likely some sorority that will take almost anyone. But, it may not be one of the prestigious ones, and that matters to some people.

Old 08-29-2013, 11:07 AM

550 posts, read 986,742 times
There are smart, personable, attractive, accomplished young women who go through rush at a place like Alabama or Auburn and come out without a bid. At any sorority.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta