Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-16-2014, 12:13 PM

10,368 posts, read 11,408,870 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gulch View Post
You may want to read this:
Quote:
WABE notes that this is the planning and public comment process, and that it is
just part of the effort to get federal funding.
Riding the rails from downtown
Atlanta to Alpharetta still could be a decade away, the station adds.
I personally don't have any problem with public comments being a necessary part of the planning process, but there is a huge problem when a transit agency like MARTA continues to be so overly-dependent upon the Feds to fund their operations and desperately-needed future expansions.

The fact that transportation agencies like MARTA and GDOT view the nearly-bankrupt Feds as a funding option of first resort instead of as a funding option of absolute last option speaks volumes about the current state (and mindset) of our transportation funding setup.

The federal government should be a funding option of absolute last resort after transportation funding from all other sources have been completely-exhausted (...other transportation funding sources like revenues from private real estate investment, Value Capture taxing districts, distance-based user fees and the aggressive sale of major corporate and individual sponsorships).

The Feds (who are nearly-bankrupt and almost completely exhausted of transportation funding after decades of extremely-heavy borrowing to fund and finance state and local governments who are still too lazy to raise their own transportation funds) should not be the very first place that we go to desperately beg for transportation funding that we are more than capable of getting on our own.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-16-2014, 12:24 PM
bu2

23,972 posts, read 14,760,934 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Born 2 Roll View Post
I personally don't have any problem with public comments being a necessary part of the planning process, but there is a huge problem when a transit agency like MARTA continues to be so overly-dependent upon the Feds to fund their operations and desperately-needed future expansions.

The fact that transportation agencies like MARTA and GDOT view the nearly-bankrupt Feds as a funding option of first resort instead of as a funding option of absolute last option speaks volumes about the current state (and mindset) of our transportation funding setup.

The federal government should be a funding option of absolute last resort after transportation funding from all other sources have been completely-exhausted (...other transportation funding sources like revenues from private real estate investment, Value Capture taxing districts, distance-based user fees and the aggressive sale of major corporate and individual sponsorships).

The Feds (who are nearly-bankrupt and almost completely exhausted of transportation funding after decades of extremely-heavy borrowing to fund and finance state and local governments who are still too lazy to raise their own transportation funds) should not be the very first place that we go to desperately beg for transportation funding that we are more than capable of getting on our own.
I have a problem with them wasting money on planning if they have no idea how to fund it.

They've studied this several times before. They have no way to fund the northern extension or Emory.

They might be able to do Stonecrest ($400 million) or the western extension (less than Stonecrest). But they don't have their share of the $1-2-3 billion it would cost for those other projects, let alone any idea if the feds will help.

Old 06-16-2014, 12:33 PM

32,009 posts, read 36,668,783 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bu2 View Post
I have a problem with them wasting money on planning if they have no idea how to fund it.

They've studied this several times before. They have no way to fund the northern extension or Emory.

They might be able to do Stonecrest ($400 million) or the western extension (less than Stonecrest). But they don't have their share of the $1-2-3 billion it would cost for those other projects, let alone any idea if the feds will help.
I hate to say it but I am starting to agree.

With no realistic funding possibilities, why spend more money on planning something that has already been planned to death?

Old 06-16-2014, 12:48 PM

23,726 posts, read 24,796,311 times
Quote:

Got to have a plan and environmental reviews before going to the feds.
We could the the billions being used on the NW corridor and 400/285 interchange to fund MARTA expansion.

Old 06-16-2014, 02:14 PM

2,197 posts, read 2,254,485 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnsleyPark View Post
I imagine there are plenty folks in the city, who would prefer the burbs, too, but for a variety of reasons can't live in the burbs.
This is wandering off the point, but I have to reply to some of these blanket statements you're making about OTP/ITP. Areas outside the perimeter aren't more affordable as a matter of fact; certainly some areas are, but others most certainly are not. And there are quite obviously many affordable areas ITP, otherwise so many young people wouldn't be moving there. Yes, some people prefer the suburbs and some prefer the city, just as I moved out of the suburbs and into the city the very first chance I got once I gained my independence.

Back to the point; MARTA's expansion up 400 makes plenty of sense for logistical reasons (it's cheaper than building heavy rail in town) and for purposes of expanding the base of potential riders. I see the Streetcar as Atlanta's preferred in-town/last-mile mode of transportation.

Old 06-16-2014, 03:35 PM
bu2

Quote:
Originally Posted by cqholt View Post
Got to have a plan and environmental reviews before going to the feds.
We could the the billions being used on the NW corridor and 400/285 interchange to fund MARTA expansion.
Yes, but you also have to have a plan for your share, which is around 50% now. Until you figure that out, its all a waste of money. Review will probably be outdated by that time and they will have to do it all again. I know they've done this at least 3 times. There may have been several other times in the 70s, 80s and 90s.

Old 06-16-2014, 03:37 PM
bu2

I've got no problem with the concept. Although I really don't think it should go all the way to Alpharetta. I think North Point Mall would be far enough. Encourage commercial development there and south, not in the far northern part of Fulton County.

Old 06-16-2014, 04:07 PM

4,790 posts, read 6,850,133 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by arjay57 View Post
I hate to say it but I am starting to agree.

With no realistic funding possibilities, why spend more money on planning something that has already been planned to death?
they're preparing to file for federal funding.

Old 06-16-2014, 04:09 PM

4,790 posts, read 6,850,133 times
Quote:
I've got no problem with the concept. Although I really don't think it should go all the way to Alpharetta. I think North Point Mall would be far enough. Encourage commercial development there and south, not in the far northern part of Fulton County.
windward parkway is a major job center; try to drive down it at noon when everyone gets out for lunch; it's a mess. if you just think about the bus routes that will be added throughout alpharetta once the rail line opens, it will definitely be a game-changer.

Old 06-16-2014, 04:43 PM

32,009 posts, read 36,668,783 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bryantm3 View Post
they're preparing to file for federal funding.
Okay.

Is that considered a realistic possibility? Obama's only got a couple of years left and it's hard to imagine the Republicans spending money on transit.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta