Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-03-2013, 02:41 AM

7,358 posts, read 6,527,927 times

Advertisements

While I see your point about walkability, I really don't see that as a hinderance here. For example, take a look at these two links: http://goo.gl/maps/SDZHn http://goo.gl/maps/gc3Gq
Those are from a town in New York along the New Haven Line. I was actually looking for something else and wound up Googling the location of Larchmont. The first link shows the area around the train station and I-95, while the second shows what I assume to be the historic downtown area of Larchmont. Going to Streetview, the downtown area is very much alive. I can see something similar happening for the 400 corridor, the downtown areas remain, while development increases right along the transit route. The outlying areas can still be served by bus or streetcar service. Yes, that's a different area, and yes that train line has been there 100 years, but I'm using the general pattern of what exists now to illustrate my point.
Incidentally, I was the tall kid in the red shirt that rambled something about express service during the first Q&A session
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-03-2013, 03:42 AM

4,790 posts, read 6,875,132 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MattCW View Post
While I see your point about walkability, I really don't see that as a hinderance here. For example, take a look at these two links: http://goo.gl/maps/SDZHn http://goo.gl/maps/gc3Gq
Those are from a town in New York along the New Haven Line. I was actually looking for something else and wound up Googling the location of Larchmont. The first link shows the area around the train station and I-95, while the second shows what I assume to be the historic downtown area of Larchmont. Going to Streetview, the downtown area is very much alive. I can see something similar happening for the 400 corridor, the downtown areas remain, while development increases right along the transit route. The outlying areas can still be served by bus or streetcar service. Yes, that's a different area, and yes that train line has been there 100 years, but I'm using the general pattern of what exists now to illustrate my point.
Incidentally, I was the tall kid in the red shirt that rambled something about express service during the first Q&A session
what a cool little downtown area! it's like some of the neighbourhoods we have in town.

were you the kid up front and to the right? if so i was like right behind you with my dad. i live only a few blocks away.

i agree that walkable development is going to (and already has) occured in the downtown areas like alpharetta and roswell and that transit development will spur that— but i was referring to the areas immediately around the marta stations, like out on holcomb bridge road, for example.

it would be difficult to walk directly from walkable areas like downtown alpharetta or roswell to the bus and commute downtown— that's why i think generally people who are looking for more walkable urban communities (ie: where you don't even have to own a car) are going to focus intown. people in alpharetta and roswell, despite having a better urban community directly around them, are still going to own cars.

Old 10-03-2013, 12:14 PM

37,882 posts, read 41,956,856 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bryantm3 View Post
i don't think this is true for several reasons. the primary reason is that north fulton is already a major jobs center, only behind the CBD and perimeter. giving that area transit will increase job opportunities for people who don't live in north fulton. i was just talking to someone who lives in college park and commutes all the way to alpharetta every night, and it puts a huge transportation expense on him. there are a lot of higher paying jobs that poorer folks don't have access to because transit doesn't serve the area well. the north fulton line will promote upward mobility by giving poorer folks who don't have cars access to better jobs.
Precisely. I was thinking about the article that talked about income inequality across various U.S. metros, including Atlanta, and major reason was due to the lopsided spatial placement of jobs in the metro area. While scores of good jobs aren't coming to the south and west sides anytime soon, at least providing better transit access to north Fulton will help folks get to those jobs much easier.

Old 10-03-2013, 12:43 PM

2,092 posts, read 3,224,618 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mutiny77 View Post
Precisely. I was thinking about the article that talked about income inequality across various U.S. metros, including Atlanta, and major reason was due to the lopsided spatial placement of jobs in the metro area. While scores of good jobs aren't coming to the south and west sides anytime soon, at least providing better transit access to north Fulton will help folks get to those jobs much easier.

I agree...

Old 10-03-2013, 02:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bryantm3 View Post
what a cool little downtown area! it's like some of the neighbourhoods we have in town.

were you the kid up front and to the right? if so i was like right behind you with my dad. i live only a few blocks away.
No, I was kind of in the back in an aisle seat.
Quote:
i agree that walkable development is going to (and already has) occured in the downtown areas like alpharetta and roswell and that transit development will spur that— but i was referring to the areas immediately around the marta stations, like out on holcomb bridge road, for example.

it would be difficult to walk directly from walkable areas like downtown alpharetta or roswell to the bus and commute downtown— that's why i think generally people who are looking for more walkable urban communities (ie: where you don't even have to own a car) are going to focus intown. people in alpharetta and roswell, despite having a better urban community directly around them, are still going to own cars.
My point wasn't that people could walk between the two areas, but that the bus would serve to connect the two areas so the people in the traditional downtowns would still have quick service to the core line. One thing that would help this would be if MARTA were to include the buses in the paid zone at stations so people wouldn't have to tap again once they got off the bus. But that's more difficult for "community" stations like MARTA wants to install up 400 with the exception of Windward, as that requires a decent level of infrastructure that I think they want to avoid.

Old 10-03-2013, 06:59 PM

23,726 posts, read 24,866,786 times
Quote:
No, I was kind of in the back in an aisle seat.

My point wasn't that people could walk between the two areas, but that the bus would serve to connect the two areas so the people in the traditional downtowns would still have quick service to the core line. One thing that would help this would be if MARTA were to include the buses in the paid zone at stations so people wouldn't have to tap again once they got off the bus. But that's more difficult for "community" stations like MARTA wants to install up 400 with the exception of Windward, as that requires a decent level of infrastructure that I think they want to avoid.
What's so hard about tapping to exit a station? Tapping is what loads transfers on the breezecards.

Old 10-03-2013, 07:33 PM

True, I forgot about the rail to bus transfer, you'd end up having to tap out of the bus in that case. I was just thinking of ways to make the bus to rail transfer even easier both from a consumer, and construction perspective.

Old 10-04-2013, 06:55 AM

23,726 posts, read 24,866,786 times
Quote:
True, I forgot about the rail to bus transfer, you'd end up having to tap out of the bus in that case. I was just thinking of ways to make the bus to rail transfer even easier both from a consumer, and construction perspective.
I still do not understand what is so hard about tapping to exit the gates? The only people who have issues with this are those that only use MARTA to travel to the airport, sporting events, etc. Commuters have no issue with task.

Old 10-04-2013, 12:58 PM

6,503 posts, read 6,121,383 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cqholt View Post
I still do not understand what is so hard about tapping to exit the gates? The only people who have issues with this are those that only use MARTA to travel to the airport, sporting events, etc. Commuters have no issue with task.
They don't use it as frequently?

Old 10-04-2013, 01:34 PM

It's still a slowdown and chokepoint. Every now and then my card doesn't read and I have to go to another faregate. Plus, it would physically shorten the walking path from bus to train because you wouldn't need room for the faregates, heck if you really wanted to be crazy, you could design the stations like Five Points platforms, and just have the bus pull up on the side platform, but you can't do that with faregates.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta