Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-01-2013, 09:15 AM

15 posts, read 31,581 times

Advertisements

Hi all-

Considering a move from Chicago to Atlanta and have 2 elementary-aged school children. Can anyone offer any insight into areas such as Kennesaw and Marietta as well as other suburbs that should be considered? Ideally we are looking for the following:

1) Top schools
2) Home budget is in the $500K range
3) Manageable commute to the NW Atlanta area. Specific location is near the 75/285 interchange.
4) Active, family friendly neighborhood
5) After school enrichment programs at a place like YMCA, etc.

I've very quickly looked at Legacy Park in Kennesaw which seems like a potentially good fit. Any other recommendations in Kennesaw, Marietta, or the surrounding area? I haven't had time to look at places north (e.g., Sandy Springs) or west. Are there good areas there that should be considered? Willing to sacrifice longer commute times for top schools/after school activities.

Thanks in advance for any insight!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-01-2013, 10:24 AM

10,396 posts, read 11,500,133 times
Legacy Park in Kennesaw (in the feeder zone for North Cobb High School) is a really good place to start your search.

West Cobb County (in the feeder zones for Kennesaw Mountain, Harrison and Hillgrove high schools) is also a good place to look.

East Cobb County (in the feeder zones for Walton, Pope, Lassiter, Wheeler and Sprayberry high schools) is also particularly a good place to look as the schools are regarded as being some of the best public schools in the entire Southeastern U.S.

The feeder zones for Wheeler and Walton high schools in particular are very good places to look because of their relatively very-close proximity to the major employment center at the Cobb Cloverleaf (the I-75/I-285 NW Interchange) where you will be working.

South Cherokee County (in the feeder zones for Etowah, Woodstock, River Ridge, Sequoyah, Creekview and Cherokee high schools) is also a really good place to look, but is a much more-challenging rush hour commute via Interstates 75 and 575.

Old 09-01-2013, 02:26 PM

Thanks, B2R! Very helpful. I just took a cursory look at both Walton and Pope high schools and they do seem to be quite good.

How is the commute from East Cobb to the Cobb Cloverleaf during rush hour?

Thanks again for your help.

Old 09-01-2013, 02:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chemba View Post
Thanks, B2R! Very helpful. I just took a cursory look at both Walton and Pope high schools and they do seem to be quite good.

The rush hour commute between the nearby Wheeler and Walton clusters in East Cobb and the Cobb Cloverleaf/Cumberland/Galleria area is very-short by Metro Atlanta standards (roughly between only 20-30 minutes).

The best thing is that it is a commute that can be done without having to get on the severely rush hour-congested US 41 (Cobb Parkway) or I-75 roadways.

Old 09-02-2013, 10:07 AM

Perfect! Thanks again for the help, Born 2 Roll!

Does anyone have any insight on potential After School Programs in these areas? Our children are currently enrolled at the Y an are able to take classes (dance, gymnastics, swimming) after school which we find to be very convenient. I see where most of the schools have their own ASPs but wanted to see if there were any other options with the local YMCA, park district, etc. We will keep looking on our own but any help would be appreciated.

Thanks again!

Old 09-02-2013, 11:00 AM

550 posts, read 989,506 times
The schools usually have some combination of chess, drama, lego club, spanish, etc. offered as part of ASP. I am not familiar with the programs at the Y but I am certain that it must be an option.

Old 09-02-2013, 11:09 AM

550 posts, read 989,506 times
The schools usually have some combination of chess, drama, lego club, spanish, etc. offered as part of ASP. I am not familiar with the programs at the Y but I am certain that it must be an option.

Old 09-02-2013, 04:30 PM

Here is a link to the page for the McCleskey-East Cobb Family YMCA:
McCleskey-East Cobb Family YMCA Home

Here is a link to the page for the Northeast Cobb Family YMCA:
Northeast Cobb Family YMCA Home

Old 09-02-2013, 04:42 PM

924 posts, read 1,456,274 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chemba View Post

Thanks again for your help.
I live in the eastern portion of the Sprayberry district and work off Windy Hill Rd. and Powers Ferry Rd. and with no traffic it is 15 minutes and even the worst traffic is only 25-30 minutes. If I was you I would limit your search to the Walton/Pope/Sprayberry districts for the combination of schools and commute.

Old 09-07-2013, 05:07 PM

Thanks all for your help. We are still at least a couple of months away from any move so may be back on in a few weeks asking for more help!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta