Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-04-2013, 08:10 AM

121 posts, read 371,537 times

Advertisements

I'm trying to help my parents out with this one. They are looking for a bus or train will take them from the GA/TN are to New England. They want to go this fall for a chance to see the fall scenery. They would prefer a bus that caters to the senior side. Any suggestions? Time of year to go? Company to use?

thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-04-2013, 09:09 AM

1,383 posts, read 1,561,928 times
Best time of year would be any time between about September 21 and October 21; which of those weeks one goes will dictate where to find the best foliage. I always recommend to people to go right around October 1st, and to go to northern Vermont/New Hampshire, like up around Montpelier, St Johnsbury, or Mt Washington Valley. Columbus Day weekend often means lots of tourists and traffic jams on one-lane roads; generally an unpleasant experience.

New England Foliage Map - Yankee Foliage - Your Source for New England Fall Foliage

Old 09-04-2013, 09:57 AM

126 posts, read 231,890 times
If they're willing to make it to Atlanta (and if they have the money), they can take Amtrak's Crescent non-stop to New York Penn Station and just transfer to a bus or an Amtrak Northeast Regional train there.

I've taken the Crescent from New Orleans to Atlanta in one of their deluxe sleeper rooms, and it was literally one of the est travel experiences I've ever had. Not only do they feed you three meals a day if you get any type of room, you're free to move about from the dining car to the lounge car and the views are literally the best views from any type of car. The train passes through a lot of dense forests and old railroad towns and it's simply a view unlike any you'd ever see from any interstate.

Even if you can only go with a coach seat, Amtrak's still an amazing experience and I totally recommend it. It's also a lot more plesant than any bus ride would be.

Old 09-04-2013, 12:30 PM

10,744 posts, read 13,386,955 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brooklynbarker View Post
I'm trying to help my parents out with this one. They are looking for a bus or train will take them from the GA/TN are to New England. They want to go this fall for a chance to see the fall scenery. They would prefer a bus that caters to the senior side. Any suggestions? Time of year to go? Company to use?

thanks!
My mom and a bunch of her senior friends did just this last year. They used a service based in Savannah, the name of which I cannot remember, but will ask her. Had a great time! They stopped in a few usual suspects along the way, but wound up going to Vermont, New Hampshire and Maine. She loved it.

Old 09-04-2013, 06:38 PM

1,207 posts, read 2,813,069 times
A few years ago I was in Stockbridge, Ma (in the Berkshires) on Oct. 23 and it was the final weekend of leaf season thus not that great leaf peeping. The season starts in just a few weeks in Maine, Vermont and New Hampshire (mid-September), but it all depends on the weather. I know that most places are booked, but maybe you could find a couple of spots on a senior tour if you hurry.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta