Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-07-2013, 08:46 AM

719 posts, read 1,332,198 times

Advertisements

I agree completely. I am not a resident of that area yet, but I don't see a need for a Bix Box with a huge parking lot in an eclectic area like that. I say no bix box stores within a certain radius of Downtown Atlanta.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-07-2013, 09:20 AM

23,726 posts, read 24,851,746 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by coolieandre View Post
I agree completely. I am not a resident of that area yet, but I don't see a need for a Bix Box with a huge parking lot in an eclectic area like that. I say no bix box stores within a certain radius of Downtown Atlanta.
Unless the local residents want it. Perfect example is the new walmart at historic westside village. That area can't afford to be picky.

Old 09-07-2013, 10:00 AM

1,582 posts, read 2,184,220 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Seatlien View Post
Here's the code: Municode

"Sec. 16-36.001. Scope of regulations.
The existing zoning map and underlying zoning regulations governing all properties within the BeltLine Overlay District shall remain in full force and effect. The regulations contained within this chapter shall be overlaid upon, and shall be imposed in addition to, said existing zoning regulations with the exception of existing lots of record that are zoned R-1 through R-5 or Special Public Interest District and not located immediately adjacent to the BeltLine Corridor. Except where it is otherwise explicitly provided, whenever the following overlay regulations are at variance with said existing underlying zoning regulations, the regulations of this chapter shall apply." (emphasis added)

The Office of Planning did not enforce this. If somehow we can get the SAP overturned by the BZA, LaFarge/Fuqua may sue the city on the grounds that the code itself is unconstitutional.

This thing will end up in court(s) one way or another. That's why the community is raising money for legal fees. Speaking of which, have y'all donated? Smart Growth Atlanta
Awesome! I feel MUCH better about the likelihood of preventing this suburban monstrosity from being shoehorned into that neighborhood. I personally don't care whether its Walmart or not as long as its developed in a way that supports a walkable urban neighborhood.

Old 09-07-2013, 12:55 PM

32,019 posts, read 36,763,165 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by coolieandre View Post
I say no bix box stores within a certain radius of Downtown Atlanta.
It's really all in how it's done. "Big box" is not per se incompatible with urban areas, nor does it have to be auto-oriented or anti-pedestrian.

There are plenty of well done big box stores in cities all around the country. An excellent example is this one in Washington, DC. It includes a Target, Best Buy, Staples, Bed Bath & Beyond, etc.

DC USA

Another decent center is Lenox Marketplace here in Atlanta. It has several big boxes, such as Target, Dick's Sporting Goods and Staples. It's not perfect but all the parking is interior and it has a good street presence.

Lenox Marketplace Retail Center in the Atlanta, Georgia Area | EDENS

Last edited by arjay57; 09-07-2013 at 02:21 PM..

Old 09-07-2013, 02:16 PM

10,974 posts, read 10,869,071 times
I agree, I am fine with Big Box. They just need to be done so they are easily accessible from the multiple transportation options used in urban areas.

Old 09-07-2013, 02:19 PM

7,352 posts, read 6,521,770 times
I think when people mean "big box" store, they mean a big box, in the middle of a sea of asphalt rather than just a large store selling certain products.

Old 09-07-2013, 02:41 PM

32,019 posts, read 36,763,165 times
I've heard developers refer to it as "large format retail." In its most common form, it's done as free standing buildings in gigantic surface parking lots.

However, I've also heard developers talk about doing "big box" or "large format retail" in a more compact, urban context, with parking underneath or in a wrapped deck.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta