U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-04-2013, 08:08 PM

402 posts, read 628,963 times

Advertisements

After losing the ability to destroy the idea behind the Beltline that took YEARS of unprecedented neighborhood and government collaboration across the city, Fuqua Development will continue to pursue the role of evil villain.

Quote:
The developer says he expects litigation to be filed very shortly, perhaps "within a couple weeks." It'll likely include his company, LaFarge, and possibly several retail tenants who had already signed leases and committed to the project.
Glenwood Avenue update: Council rezones, Reed won't veto, legal challenge imminent | Atlanta News & Opinion Blog | Fresh Loaf | Creative Loafing Atlanta
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-04-2013, 08:14 PM

2,685 posts, read 5,542,579 times
I am really happy with the vote by the city council but I gotta admit if I was the developer or the property owner I would fight it too, anyway you cut it that owner just lost a ton of money if he can't win in court. Hopefully in the future neighborhoods will rezone way ahead of time instead of waiting for 11th hour changes.

Old 09-04-2013, 09:57 PM

104 posts, read 123,639 times
I seriously doubt any retailer will want to drag their name into this fight. The fact he brought them up leads me to believe that he thinks his position is weaker than he's letting on. It's always the weakest guy who screams the biggest threats.

Old 09-05-2013, 06:29 AM

3,972 posts, read 11,728,882 times
Wal mart doesn't mind fights. Have you followed the battle with some neighbors on N Decatur?

Old 09-05-2013, 07:51 AM

1,479 posts, read 1,439,521 times
With all of the bad press Fuqua has been getting in multiple developments around the city recently, I can't imagine it is good business for him OR his potential tenants. So, why do they keep fighting? I'm not a business person, but I know that this is obviously very bad publicity for him. I feel like now, wherever he goes, just his name is going to make people think twice about supporting any development by him near their homes. He obviously could care less about what the people who live around the developments think, so why would anybody want to be a friendly neighbor to him?

If all this goes through in favor of Fuqua, I can see people resorting to similar vandalism as happened at the housing development in Druid Hills, where signs were spraypainted with red X's through them. I can't imagine that would help the developers home sales....

Old 09-05-2013, 07:54 AM

10,974 posts, read 8,831,685 times
The citizens have a right to city has a right to change the zoning. And the intentions for the parcel have been published years before Fuqua tried to force in this development. They acted in bad faith by trying to force through this design rather than working with the community. I think Fuqua may be entitled to some damages from an inappropriately approved SAP, but I don't think they deserve any hypothetical "lost profits".

Old 09-05-2013, 07:57 AM
JPD

12,159 posts, read 16,365,158 times
I won't be surprised if Fuqua wins in the end.

Old 09-05-2013, 08:24 AM

104 posts, read 123,639 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lastminutemom View Post
Wal mart doesn't mind fights. Have you followed the battle with some neighbors on N Decatur?
True but Wal-Mart, for whatever reason, hasn't been confirmed as a tenant here. They don't seem interested in showing involvement, probably because it's a 'nice to have' location rather than 'must have' location. If they don't get a cheap suburban format store here, they can build an urban format store somewhere else nearby with little problem and only a slight reduction in overall profit. Let Fuqua take all the negative press while they play innocent. And for all we know Wal-Mart isn't actually the tenant. Perhaps Fuqua has been allowing the impression to linger because of Wal-Mart's history of legal fights with bottomless pockets.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ccatl View Post
So, why do they keep fighting?
Because he believes profit here will make up for the expenses of fighting while not really giving much thought to the reputation damage it might do. He can always start a shell company with a new name and have someone else be the face of that company for when they develop in Atlanta in the future. Also don't discount ego. Fuqua is use to getting his way. People like that hate to ever hear 'no' and often will go to great, even self destructive, lengths to 'win'.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JPD
I won't be surprised if Fuqua wins in the end.
I wouldn't be surprised either way. The attitude of the company throughout the process has been really aggressive and confrontational. Most developers try to play nice for as long as possible. Fuqua came out with guns blazing from pretty much the beginning. When asked to make changes to the plan, they came back with an even worse plan. Makes me think he may know he's on a weak footing and is trying to use as much noise and bluster as possible to scare everyone into giving him what he wants.

Old 09-05-2013, 11:37 AM

5,242 posts, read 5,243,654 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by noah View Post
I am really happy with the vote by the city council but I gotta admit if I was the developer or the property owner I would fight it too, anyway you cut it that owner just lost a ton of money if he can't win in court. Hopefully in the future neighborhoods will rezone way ahead of time instead of waiting for 11th hour changes.
Yep to all of this.

Fuqua is a terrible corporate citizen. They care not what a neighborhood wants. They are not interested in building appropriate developments. They are totally indifferent to the long term development of its surroundings. Fuqua could make boatloads of money AND have a positive impact on its surroundings. It just seems to be bulldoze and build, neighborhood be damned. What a jerk.

Old 09-05-2013, 12:34 PM

31,068 posts, read 30,482,237 times
Developers are just as entitled as anyone else to sue the city. Whether they win, of course, depends on the evidence.

What puzzles me, however, is why a developer wouldn't simply build a good project in compliance with the applicable zoning?

If you go that route, you can pull permits and get your project up and going and start making money. Why fiddle around trying build something that everybody hates and that is only going to result in months (or years) of community pushback and huge legal bills?

It would be cheaper to simply do it right from the beginning.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta