Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-13-2013, 10:51 AM

23,726 posts, read 24,859,920 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Yes, I biked with my child from Piedmont Park to the Beltline this weekend. There is a block-long section of street that you ride on, in a designated, two-way bike lane separated by plastic poles sticking up from the ground. It didn't feel safe at all. Sorry. Maybe commuters would feel safe, but not families going to the park/beltline in this lane. The lane should be changed to an actual trail through the park leading to the beltline so that riders would only need to be on the road to cross the street. I think the innate danger of these lanes will keep them from being heavily used.
If you put it in the park, cyclist would have to deal with dodging pedestrians. That's why the cycle track was built, so cyclist had an alternate than using the trails in the park. I like the idea of making Peachtree a destination, but cars should not be banned, just through traffic should be encouraged to use parallel streets by slowing traffic down and adding streetcar tracks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-13-2013, 12:16 PM

280 posts, read 389,686 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AtlJan View Post
Yes, I biked with my child from Piedmont Park to the Beltline this weekend. There is a block-long section of street that you ride on, in a designated, two-way bike lane separated by plastic poles sticking up from the ground. It didn't feel safe at all. Sorry. Maybe commuters would feel safe, but not families going to the park/beltline in this lane. The lane should be changed to an actual trail through the park leading to the beltline so that riders would only need to be on the road to cross the street. I think the innate danger of these lanes will keep them from being heavily used.
I use the 10th street cycling track at least twice a week and it is definitely for commuters and higher skill riders. It is a way that you can ride at street speed without threatening the pedestrians or holding up the cars. Right now it serves as a way for cyclists to enter the Park from the Beltline without riding on the sidewalk, but in the long term it is going to be a way into midtown that avoids the slower pathways inside the Park.

If your children are too young for the cycle track, you can have them stay on the sidewalk as long as they watch out for pedestrians. But don't worry. When they build the Beltline trail through Piedmont Park you will get the connection you want. You will go seamlessly from the Park to the Beltline and then cross on the Beltline itself. The Beltline serves beginner cyclists well. Piedmont Park is a good place to teach kids to ride.

Old 09-13-2013, 05:14 PM

2,306 posts, read 2,994,056 times
My daughter is six, she's biked all over Colorado on designated bike trails--just seems like the trails here are either on the road (scary!) or super fast (Silver Comet). We are looking forward to the Beltline expanding--but I'm concerned about what you're saying. Are people going to be biking at street speed on the Beltline? That kind of negates it for us as well. We are interested in mixed-use trails like the way the Beltline is now, and the TRED trails through Rome GA etc.

Old 09-13-2013, 07:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AtlJan View Post
My daughter is six, she's biked all over Colorado on designated bike trails--just seems like the trails here are either on the road (scary!) or super fast (Silver Comet). We are looking forward to the Beltline expanding--but I'm concerned about what you're saying. Are people going to be biking at street speed on the Beltline? That kind of negates it for us as well. We are interested in mixed-use trails like the way the Beltline is now, and the TRED trails through Rome GA etc.
Stick to the right side of the trail and you'll be fine. Yes, there will be people riding fast but they usually announce themselves or ride early morning.

Old 09-14-2013, 05:31 AM

32,020 posts, read 36,777,542 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cqholt View Post
Stick to the right side of the trail and you'll be fine. Yes, there will be people riding fast but they usually announce themselves or ride early morning.
There need to be speed limits on any urban mixed use trail. By definition it includes walkers and joggers of all ages, and that is no place for hell-bent-for-leather speedsters. In that context they are just as dangerous as cars.

Old 09-14-2013, 06:44 AM

I completely agree that speedesters are just as dangerous, but who will enforce speed limits? People just need to have respect for each other and know when and where they can speed. Early morning on the BeltLine is ok, but when its full if families, no. Also, groups of people do not need to stop and chat on the trail, blocking half the trail.

Old 09-14-2013, 07:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cqholt View Post
I completely agree that speedesters are just as dangerous, but who will enforce speed limits?
Well, they had to create a special police force for the Beltline, so they could certainly enforce bike speed limits.

I agree with you, however, that mutual respect is the key. That is the core principle of every successful city. As we know, a few bad actors can ruin things for everyone.

Old 09-15-2013, 05:00 PM

Andrea., ig

Sent from my SPH-D710 using Tapatalk 2
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta