Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-10-2013, 05:16 AM

4,760 posts, read 5,386,597 times

Advertisements

Details on Ponce de Leon Avenue improvement projects // Atlanta BeltLine

While I'm for adding bike lanes, why on earth would you remove lanes from such a busy road like Ponce De Leon. When Ponce City Market open get ready for a traffic Disaster.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-10-2013, 06:22 AM

4,790 posts, read 6,820,491 times
you really underestimate the power of a shared left turn lane. a three lane road with a shared left turn lane can accomodate almost the same amount of traffic as a four lane road with a median. however, it's not even getting cut down that much— we'll still have four traffic lanes plus a shared left turn lane. i don't expect any major problems. they know what they're doing here, they've done studies— i don't think they're just going into this willy-nilly.

Old 09-10-2013, 06:23 AM

10,331 posts, read 11,319,995 times
It appears that the powers-that-be (local neighborhood associations, the City of Atlanta and the Georgia Department of Transportation) don't care that traffic will be slowed after a travel lane is removed from each direction of Ponce for the installation of bike lanes.

It seems that a big part of the intent is to slow automobile traffic on city streets so that it will be safer and more conducive for use by pedestrians and bicyclists, which is a trend that is not only going on in Atlanta, but in large cities all over the nation.

Right now, I am in Indianapolis, which is about as automobile-crazy and transit-deficient as a major city can get in a state in Indiana that historically has been even more skeptical of alternative modes of transportation (particularly transit) than Georgia.

But the Mayor of Indianapolis is an avid bicyclist, so the City of Indianapolis is in the middle of an ongoing widespread effort to convert bike lanes out of travel lanes on busy streets.

The City of Indianapolis is also in the process of actively converting one-way streets to two-way streets at the behest of local neighborhood associations that believe that one-way streets have harmed the historic inner-city neighborhoods that they run through.

Old 09-10-2013, 06:25 AM

1,637 posts, read 2,617,406 times
People forgot that North Ave is basically empty next to PCM

Old 09-10-2013, 06:53 AM

3,695 posts, read 5,937,957 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bryantm3 View Post
you really underestimate the power of a shared left turn lane. a three lane road with a shared left turn lane can accomodate almost the same amount of traffic as a four lane road with a median. however, it's not even getting cut down that much— we'll still have four traffic lanes plus a shared left turn lane. i don't expect any major problems. they know what they're doing here, they've done studies— i don't think they're just going into this willy-nilly.
Yup. When I went to UGA they converted Lumpkin from four lanes without a left turn to two lanes with a left turn lane. I expected it to be a disaster, since it already had lots of traffic before. But it turns out traffic improved somewhat.

I say bring it on.

Old 09-10-2013, 07:39 AM

23,726 posts, read 24,698,706 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Atlwarrior View Post
Details on Ponce de Leon Avenue improvement projects // Atlanta BeltLine

While I'm for adding bike lanes, why on earth would you remove lanes from such a busy road like Ponce De Leon. When Ponce City Market open get ready for a traffic Disaster.
Streets are for more than just moving cars fast. There is a movement, Complete Streets, which creates streets for use by everyone including cars, transit, bicycles, and pedestrians.

Old 09-10-2013, 07:39 AM

9,008 posts, read 13,967,513 times
I'd also be a lot more concerned if North Avenue wasn't a perfectly legit alternative right next door.

Old 09-10-2013, 07:54 AM

10,974 posts, read 10,803,181 times
This is a good move. The left lane was always blocked by turners anyways, and making it safer for bikers will continue to encourage alternate commutes.

Old 09-10-2013, 08:42 AM

2,685 posts, read 6,024,020 times
North Ave will be changing too. Possibly street parking there (according to the PCM people) in front of PCM and crosswalks to connect PCM to Old Fourth Ward Park.

Old 09-10-2013, 09:12 AM

6,495 posts, read 6,068,860 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bryantm3 View Post
4 wider lanes + bike lanes + turn lane >>>>>> 6 very narrow lanes.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta