Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-22-2017, 07:07 AM

3,874 posts, read 4,693,457 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iconographer View Post
The whole Virginia/Monroe/10th confluence was created when the community was coming out of the ground as low-density residential. I remember when there was an old farmhouse that had been converted to a restaurant on the corner of Virginia and Monroe.
As an aside, I'd be interested out of historical curiosity to know upon which quadrant of that intersection the restaurant was located & what it was called & approximately when the building was remove?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-22-2017, 07:10 AM

32,019 posts, read 36,759,555 times
Quote:
Woody's can relocate. That intersection as it is makes absolutely no sense.
Well, yeah, they could relocate. However, the quirkiness of getting there is part of their charm in my mind.

As odd as that intersection looks, it actually works okay for me. Maybe it is because I drive pretty slow on intown streets.

Old 12-22-2017, 07:23 AM

5,633 posts, read 5,354,689 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jsvh View Post
I don't know the area as well, so "most homes" is probably too bold. But more the ones I was able to see on the site and Google street view have no visible off street parking and less than 15' setbacks.

But yeah, no need to derail this thread with Palmetto Bluff stuff / another zoning tangent.
Yeah...I don't want to derail this thread either, so I'll just say "You're right....Palmetto Bluff is higher density with small setbacks, no street parking, tight lots, and supports a walkable car-free lifestyle".

Quote:
The whole Virginia/Monroe/10th confluence was created when the community was coming out of the ground as low-density residential. I remember when there was an old farmhouse that had been converted to a restaurant on the corner of Virginia and Monroe.
Is that where the Park Tavern stands now, or over where the small strip center is now?

Quote:
Originally Posted by cqholt View Post
Steep grade to climb from 10th @ Monroe to EST clearance for streetcars, could be a contributing factor.
Huh? Is there some planned streetcar going across 10th then up Virginia? Not that I know of, so I don't know why that would prevent 10th connecting to Virginia now. And even so, connecting them would make no difference in that regard.

Quote:
Originally Posted by arjay57 View Post
Well, yeah, they could relocate. However, the quirkiness of getting there is part of their charm in my mind.

As odd as that intersection looks, it actually works okay for me. Maybe it is because I drive pretty slow on intown streets.
It's always a cluster*** of signal timing and cars being unable to move because others are in the way. At least any time I have been there. I hate that triangle.

Old 12-22-2017, 07:32 AM

32,019 posts, read 36,759,555 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by samiwas1 View Post
It's always a cluster*** of signal timing and cars being unable to move because others are in the way. At least any time I have been there. I hate that triangle.
I never experience much delay except at rush hour. I just try to remember I'm in a city and generally I can get through all right.

Old 12-22-2017, 07:42 AM

23,726 posts, read 24,849,415 times
Quote:
Huh? Is there some planned streetcar going across 10th then up Virginia? Not that I know of, so I don't know why that would prevent 10th connecting to Virginia now. And even so, connecting them would make no difference in that regard.
Planned streetcar line along EST ROW, but the grade of Virginia Ave does have to be ADA compliant.

Old 12-22-2017, 11:08 AM

5,633 posts, read 5,354,689 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cqholt View Post
Planned streetcar line along EST ROW, but the grade of Virginia Ave does have to be ADA compliant.
Note that in my proposal, Virginia doesn't change at all, except to restripe. So I'm not sure how it would suddenly be non-compliant. Only 10th cuts across to meet it instead of intersection Monroe 180' down.

The only thing I can find regarding transit on 10th is a Beltline map marking 10th as "Connected transit route" or something like that. Old maps show a streetcar on 10th, but nothing recent that I see. Got some links? Either way, a streetcar pn 10th ending at Monroe would not really be affected by this realignment.

Old 12-22-2017, 11:23 AM

9,830 posts, read 7,253,200 times
Fixing Virginia/10th/Monroe would be about safety for pedestrians, safety for cyclists, safety for cars, accessibility for cars, and accessibility for transit.

A straight line, non-turning ART bus route (or even maybe a streetcar), from Midtown MARTA over to N Highland @ Virginia. Would be amazing.

The bus route that's there now, is not that great.

Old 12-22-2017, 11:28 AM

Homeowners in Virginia-Highland would fit any straightening of those 2 streets, as it would increase cut thru traffic. The current intersection acts a block to drivers trying to cut thru. Those who need to can use Charles Allen>8th>Monroe>Virginia, just as the bus does.

Last edited by cqholt; 12-22-2017 at 11:40 AM..

Old 12-22-2017, 11:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bu2 View Post
He must already have options on the 11 properties on Monroe and Cresthill.

Atlanta really needs to buy out that restaurant property on the SE corner and straighten Virginia to meet 10th directly. Its a hazard to cars, pedestrians and cyclists as it is now.
Get ready for people to cry out for preservation of these buildings.
https://www.google.com/maps/@33.7826...2!8i6656?hl=en

Old 12-22-2017, 12:14 PM
bu2

24,070 posts, read 14,859,997 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by samiwas1 View Post
Most of those houses are owned by a single individual. That leads me to believe he is an investor. Which means he will be all too happy to sell if the price is right.

What property are you talking about? Park Tavern? Good luck getting rid of that one, and I'm not sure how that would help connect 10th to Virginia. Or do you mean the building with the Yoforia and Mediterranean Grill? That would require a pretty tight turn.

A better option would be to cut 10th across the empty part of the football stadium lot, taking the 10th/Virginia connection away from the Beltline altogether, and opening a little more green space by Park Tavern. City of Atlanta (via Dept of Education) already owns this land.

Wow. I like their stuff a lot.
I think the school needs the parking lot on their side of 10th and Monroe.

It would be the Mediterranean Grill to be bought out. Parts of Kanuga St. would be combined with Virginia and the rest go away. Maybe the Beltline gets slightly moved.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta