Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-08-2014, 02:41 PM

989 posts, read 1,742,649 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by waronxmas View Post
Meh, I think the FA overreacted. Look at how they handled that whole Anelka situation. Besides, given how his two right hand men are Sturridge and Sterling I doubt there is anything to the accusations.

Not that I seriously think he's leaving Liverpool in a million years though, especially since the MLS stupidly owns all contracts and the salary cap. Just a dream.
Well, he didn't handle it well by not shaking his hand, after he apologized and seem contrite. Anyway, he is a great player, but comparing him to Messi is reaching. I can't wait for our MLS team, I'm sure no one will like the name or colors, but hey it's Atlanta.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-08-2014, 03:56 PM

1,057 posts, read 868,076 times
I hope they don't go European style with the name. No:
FC Atlanta
Atlanta United
Real Atlanta

Old 04-08-2014, 04:17 PM

5,242 posts, read 6,238,029 times
I need to try to get into this. Sports have been missing from my life for too long and I need something to yell at (in a good way).

hope they go with some sort of name with Terminus in it.

Old 04-08-2014, 09:45 PM

8,486 posts, read 14,997,570 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by -thomass View Post
I hope they don't go European style with the name. No:
FC Atlanta
Atlanta United
Real Atlanta
Why?

The standard model for club names everywhere else in the world except for the US and Canada make far more sense. Plus I think it instills a deeper sense of pride for the city or neighborhood they are in. You are only half way correct though. All of those clubs also go by a nickname that all of the sports in that club take on, or simply by the name of the city. Here are a few examples from English football. The official name is on the left, the more common name used by fans and commentators is on the right.

Tottenham Hotspur FC - Spurs
Manchester City FC - City, the Citizens, Man City
Everton FC - The Toffees
Portsmouth FC - Pompey
West Bromwich Albion FC - The Baggies, The Throstles
AFC Wimbledon - The Dons, The Wombles

So, even if the team was to be officially be named something like Atlanta FC, it would also be appropriate to call that team "the Falcons".

Hmmm, that brings up an interesting thought. Blank could really make a splash by consolidating both the soccer and football team under the single club name of some thing "City of Atlanta Football Club" and market both teams as "The Falcons".

Old 04-08-2014, 11:26 PM

8,486 posts, read 14,997,570 times
Another idea I would like to see explored is the setting up of a marching band for the team. Yes, a marching band...the "other" Southern tradition. While the Sounders currently have one, it's kind of dinky band like the one the Redskins use. They're ok I guess for providing a constant background beat, but they lack something the top tier marching bands in the South have: power.

Part of what makes football games so great in the South is the pulsating sound of several hundred piece band belting out a fanfare after big plays or the school's fight song after a score. Obviously a halftime field show would be out of the question since there aren't any hash marks to follow or a soccer field, but in the stands it would invigorate the fans and make for great television.

Luckily, this is something Atlanta has no short supply of. In addition to great established local universities (AUC, Tech, GSU, Georgia) there are thousands of people who live here and used to march at a band at a SEC, ACC, or HBCU school in the region that could be used to create one. Also, as HBCUs have learned, it is a way to draw people in to games who other wise wouldn't attend if the music selection is right and the players are tight.

For those that are not familiar, this is why this isn't a silly idea:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cLaOTrVXWso

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g7PkikPns0I

Old 04-09-2014, 07:18 AM

687 posts, read 744,871 times
Love the huge marching band idea....would be incredible to see them marching in from Centennial Olympic Park to the new stadium before every home game.

Old 04-09-2014, 08:04 PM

6,420 posts, read 6,523,810 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by onemanarmy View Post
Well, he didn't handle it well by not shaking his hand, after he apologized and seem contrite. Anyway, he is a great player, but comparing him to Messi is reaching. I can't wait for our MLS team, I'm sure no one will like the name or colors, but hey it's Atlanta.
If they go with Black, Red, Navy & Gold that would be perfect. Just stay away from green, orange, purple & teal

Old 04-09-2014, 08:42 PM

708 posts, read 999,481 times
Black,Red and Gold would be the choice like I said in a previous comment: those colors would be great for ATLANTA in general.

Old 04-09-2014, 08:47 PM

32,025 posts, read 36,782,996 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ATLondoner View Post
Love the huge marching band idea....would be incredible to see them marching in from Centennial Olympic Park to the new stadium before every home game.
Now that is a capital idea!

I love marching bands, too.

Old 04-10-2014, 06:45 AM
JPD

12,138 posts, read 18,294,166 times
They should call this them the Atlanta Leaves, because we have a lot of trees, and when the team leaves the name will be fitting.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta