Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-23-2012, 09:24 PM

294 posts, read 451,195 times

Advertisements

I know the topic of Atlanta's bar/club/restaurants scene has been discussed significantly since the buckhead district was replaced but I had this idea on my mind and I thought I would share just for fun.

What if the Miami Circle street on the north part of Lindbergh was declared the new prime area for nightlife in Atlanta?

Move all of those current antique/furniture/decor stores somewhere else like W. Peachtree street or West Midtown (which would help those areas), add more crosswalks to ensure safe walking from the Lindbergh marta station, add security guards or police officers to walk up and down the street (the simple design of the street may help for efficient patrolling), add a small police precinct like the ones Atlantic Station and Little 5 points has, add parking somewhere or just use all the parking spaces that the neighboring shopping center have - hehe, add another entrance possibly on the other side where it dead ends now. Heck even the circle midway up the street could be expanded for a big Taxi traffic roundabout. I wonder what it would take to give it the longer hours that I heard Underground Atlanta has.

That street just seems in the middle of everything but at the same time far enough away from single family houses.

I also would not wish this to replace or hinder the growth of nightlife that Midtown, West Midtown, Buckhead (E. Andrews, Piedmont), Va-Hi, and Downtown have seen but just to bring back the regional/celebrity type atmosphere and hype that it seemed the buckhead district had.
...change the name of course to something that reps Atlanta or Buckhead.

What do you guys think, and where else do you think the next big nightlife scene can pop up or expand significantly in the next 5-10 years?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-23-2012, 09:35 PM

1,490 posts, read 2,101,239 times
Traffic will be horrible. I've been to Eclipse De Luna back there and when it's crowded, traffic and parking are an issue. And that's just one club. Plus those antique and fabric shops over there are big draws, don't see them going anywhere.

Old 01-23-2012, 10:06 PM

9,008 posts, read 14,057,844 times
Quote:
I wonder what it would take to give it the longer hours that I heard Underground Atlanta has.
It would take the city owning the property and having a monetary interest in giving it a competitive advantage.

I think a nightlife district is a very good idea, but I don't know exactly where the best place to build it would be. I don't know exactly how the original Buckhead was born, but I do know the city did at least some planning for it because they had to get some laws changed, particularly one law that required a certain amount of parking spots depending on how many people could fit into a business.

Old 01-24-2012, 07:05 AM

23,726 posts, read 24,866,786 times
Not close enough to MARTA. Lindbergh would be the perfect destination for an entertainment district. Close to MARTA, major thoroughfares, I-85, and 400. A new entertainment districts needs to have good connection to MARTA to encourage people to take MARTA instead of driving drunk. It will give them time to sober up before arriving at their cars. That is why I stick to Decatur or L5P, close to MARTA connections.

Old 01-24-2012, 10:30 AM

475 posts, read 1,370,966 times
It is possible if it was centralized enough they could run shuttles to marta for a small fee. But I have to agree that parking and traffic would be a mess. Personally, I sometimes drive into town to go to Eclipse but probably not if I have to wade through a bunch of drunk people. But I really like that place, wish there was one out in the boonies.

Old 01-24-2012, 01:53 PM

562 posts, read 1,790,754 times
The East Andrews area is already a pretty big nightclub/bar spot (not sure if that was leftover or there when buckhead village was), instead of moving a tons of clubs and bars and other businesses totally why not find a way to add on to this area? There are already a ton of bars there, all they would need are some clubs (besides East Andrews Complex) and some upscale bars. Aiko used to be one of these clubs not sure whats there now) so there is room for it.

I guess the problem is that it isnt that close to Marta, so a shuttle would help. But most of the people that go there end up taking cabs anyway (the the lack of parking or more expensive parking is a good way to deter people form driving drunk). Some of the bigger problems with why people drive drunk is the lack of cabs (mostly where there is a single club or bar) and the cabbies high prices compared to some other cities. It can cost me $40+ to get from midtown to buckhead with some friends while in Philly or NY that same cab ride (or car service) is half the price. Adding on extra money to the fare for each additional person is just ridiculous imo. I could see if you had more than 3-4 people, but otherwise that really adds to the cost.

Last edited by ecuresident; 01-24-2012 at 01:57 PM.. Reason: add

Old 01-24-2012, 02:55 PM

969 posts, read 1,959,378 times
Why not just build upon Crescent Avenue??

Old 01-24-2012, 05:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cqholt View Post
Not close enough to MARTA. Lindbergh would be the perfect destination for an entertainment district. Close to MARTA, major thoroughfares, I-85, and 400. A new entertainment districts needs to have good connection to MARTA to encourage people to take MARTA instead of driving drunk. It will give them time to sober up before arriving at their cars. That is why I stick to Decatur or L5P, close to MARTA connections.

I think its close enough to the Lindbergh station but MARTA isn't 24/7 either so it wouldn't fix the entire problem in regards to drunk driving. L5P is not really footsteps to Marta station either.

Old 01-24-2012, 05:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike7586 View Post
Why not just build upon Crescent Avenue??
Yah Crescent is cool, itd be sweet if it expands, maybe the new high rise apts will add to it. I consider 13th street from Crescent to W Peachtree a part of that area also, hopefully more places get renovated and add to that area.

Old 01-24-2012, 05:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by peet111 View Post
It is possible if it was centralized enough they could run shuttles to marta for a small fee. But I have to agree that parking and traffic would be a mess. Personally, I sometimes drive into town to go to Eclipse but probably not if I have to wade through a bunch of drunk people. But I really like that place, wish there was one out in the boonies.
Yah Eclipse Di Luna is sweet, the only other one is in the Perimeter area but my wife and I don't think it has as good as an atmosphere as the one in the Miami Circle.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta