Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-14-2013, 05:33 AM

4,768 posts, read 5,436,068 times

Advertisements

Some thought Downtown Atlanta was dead, but look again. Although GSU have been in central Atlanta for many years. The fruit of GSU is starting to create the perfect storm for the city. It is so refreshing to see office workers, and students create a good cacophony of excitement and progression for central Atlanta. For instance the New GA State Law Library is about to start construction near the GA Pacific Building. The Suntrust Bank Building across from Woodruff Park was purchased by GSU. The Insurance Company building near the African American Library purchased by GSU. Also the professional Millennials who are no longer in school are working Downtown with IT, Accounting, and good Legal Jobs. Coke Cola moving 2,000 workers downtown, while all may not be Millennials a good portion of them probably are. Office leasing also is improving Downtown. The Equitable Building just a couple years ago was below 30 percent occupancy, today it's over 60 percent. The 191 Tower and GA Pacific Building are both over 90% occupied. Then you have Centennial Park, which as of late have had some of the most powerful free music talent from around the world drawing huge Millennial crowds. I think the city of Atlanta will be hard press not to sell Underground Atlanta to GSU, in order for the progression of Millennials to continue. It's no way this can be stopped. Also I'm not being a pollyanna, and highly aware of the problems, but its good that the central Atlanta is finally moving in the right direction again.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-14-2013, 10:15 AM

7,112 posts, read 10,129,067 times
Considering Underground is losing millions each year, I would hope the city would donate it to GSU. Then have GSU develop it like GT did Tech Square but more on the lines of a focal point of campus student life, but still accessible by the public like Tech Square. GSU's present Student Center is a flop as a focal point of campus life. The old Student Center is more significant. So shift the student centered stuff to a new GSU Underground and add student housing and the Greeks as well.

And I don't think it's the GSU law library that's being constructed but rather the law school (which will probably include a law library). And I think a classroom building for the Business School will follow.

Old 09-14-2013, 02:18 PM

1,110 posts, read 1,660,568 times
GSU should only be allowed to "own" underground if there is financial support from the state. GSU has no successful alumni or endowment(112 million, national avg 400 mil) to support any private building. Any construction will result in bonds.

GSU can't afford to run underground with the resources they have. If and only if there is state and city support(Like how the Navy gave UGA 56 acres of land for the Health Science Campus) will GSU be able to utilize underground. GSU CAN ABSOLUTELY NOT be allowed to BUY underground. They still haven't paid off the GSU Commons. GSU definitely needs more space, and underground acquisition would a very viable move, but they just don't have it in them to manage it without extensive state support.

Old 09-14-2013, 02:54 PM

725 posts, read 1,278,850 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChefRamsey View Post
GSU should only be allowed to "own" underground if there is financial support from the state. GSU has no successful alumni or endowment(112 million, national avg 400 mil) to support any private building. Any construction will result in bonds.

GSU can't afford to run underground with the resources they have. If and only if there is state and city support(Like how the Navy gave UGA 56 acres of land for the Health Science Campus) will GSU be able to utilize underground. GSU CAN ABSOLUTELY NOT be allowed to BUY underground. They still haven't paid off the GSU Commons. GSU definitely needs more space, and underground acquisition would a very viable move, but they just don't have it in them to manage it without extensive state support.

Ludacris
Louie Giglio
Ken Lewis (bank of America CEO)
Just to name a few.

I like the sound of Ludacris Hall

Old 09-14-2013, 03:20 PM

6,503 posts, read 6,116,843 times
Quote:
GSU CAN ABSOLUTELY NOT be allowed to BUY underground. They still haven't paid off the GSU Commons.
You do know the Commons is only 6 years old right?

Old 09-14-2013, 03:31 PM

4,790 posts, read 6,869,718 times
i don't see GSU in the future of underground. i see underground only as a success in the future if there are more hotels, offices, and most importantly RESIDENTIAL high rises built around it. underground atlanta will eventually find its purpose as an "underground city" like toronto, meaning it will be a way of getting from building to building without going outside, especially in poor weather. it should not be a destination unto itself, but a path to other destinations. right now there is almost zero connection with the buildings above it, and it is left alone as a "mall".

Old 09-14-2013, 03:35 PM

Quote:

Underground is bringing in money, just not enough. It probably could use a customer base of 30K+ students and GSU police. It can still be a nightspot as is Tech Square which serves alcohol but I'd hope GSU can impart to it a college town atmosphere in the heart of Downtown. I'd be a great spot to gather before and after GSU football games, but we'll have to see how the football program fares over the new few years. Fortunately, GSU's game against WV didn't go as badly as I had feared.

I'd like Underground donated instead of bought because as pointed out, GSU is not loaded with money like GT is, and any such money it has would be better spent on developing Underground. And GSU has a Hospitality program so what better proving ground than Underground? Maybe develop a multiplex Cinefest, and put in a B&N like GT did.

Old 09-14-2013, 03:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bryantm3 View Post
i don't see GSU in the future of underground. i see underground only as a success in the future if there are more hotels, offices, and most importantly RESIDENTIAL high rises built around it. underground atlanta will eventually find its purpose as an "underground city" like toronto, meaning it will be a way of getting from building to building without going outside, especially in poor weather. it should not be a destination unto itself, but a path to other destinations. right now there is almost zero connection with the buildings above it, and it is left alone as a "mall".
Underground and Five Points in general seems to be failing as a city nexus point. i think GSU could provide some needed "gentrification" like Centennial Park has.

Old 09-14-2013, 04:27 PM

32,019 posts, read 36,763,165 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MathmanMathman View Post
Underground and Five Points in general seems to be failing as a city nexus point.
The MMTP could be a game changer for that area. Yes, it's been in the works for 50 years but it's finally on the brink of happening.

Old 09-18-2013, 12:46 PM

23,726 posts, read 24,851,746 times
34 Peachtree bought by group of investors.
34 Peachtree tower a bargain for new investors - Atlanta Business Chronicle
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
View detailed profiles of: