Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 03-28-2008, 10:52 AM

72,817 posts, read 62,167,325 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by atlantagreg30127 View Post
Technicall no, I'm not "white", and if I were to bother to gather the proper paperwork I could probably do something about it regarding grants I've been told, but in a similar fashion to blacks, it isn't exactly like there's a computer database of Native American ancestory records you can easily go to. On paperwork, yes, I do put "caucasian".

Regarding Native American land, reservations, etc. The history of what was done to the various tribes is incredibly cruel and brutal when settlers came here to gather up land. Today in 2008 however, most of the problems that were brought up earlier by someone (alcoholism, lack of education, etc) are for the most part, brought up them by their own doing. You cannot blame anyone else for being lazy or drunk or not going to school - you can only blame yourself, regardless of whether you are white, black, brown, or red.

If you wanna get REAL technical about it, most all folks in the U.S. today are mixed race. Even "black" people today are generally really "brown", and much lighter skinned than they were generations ago because of past relations and having kids with whites, hispanics, asians, etc. over the years.

I went into this story a while back so I'll condense it, but I used to live under a black couple with a young daughter who were heavily into the African culture bit regarding their home decor, way they dressed, etc. They decided to take their daughter on a 3 week African trip to see her "heritage" and short of it, cut their trip short as they ran across a fair amount of discrimination by blacks in Africa aimed toward them. Apparently American blacks are by some there seen as "unpure", brown-not-black, and mixed. They even had a small handful of people make these types of comments to them and their daughter, and even had a confrontation with one man who did the, "how DARE you call yourselves African?" bit to them. He informed them that they were brown Americans and nothing more. They came back mentally warped from the experience, but it showed them that indeed, most of us ARE mixed and not "pure" anything, here - at least when viewed by others around the world apparently.

Their daughter isn't alone. I was called the "N" word by a Nigerian.

Last edited by green_mariner; 03-28-2008 at 12:11 PM..

Old 03-28-2008, 02:12 PM

2,848 posts, read 6,414,745 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pirate_lafitte View Post
Their daughter isn't alone. I was called the "N" word by a Nigerian.
Why are so many African Americans amazed that not all africans love them just because they're black when in Africa there are lots of blacks slaughtering each other just because they're from different tribes (when to us they are identical).

Old 03-28-2008, 03:47 PM

13 posts, read 119,450 times
All white people don't like George Bush, Hillary Clinton or call them brother and sister.
All black people don't like Little John, T.I Zimbaboo or call them brother and sister. I grew up as an Army brat with lots of mixed up people. Asians there are Chinese, Japanese, Filipino etc. Americans only see Asian or all they see is Chinese. Well the Chinese might not call a Filipino "my brother" its a different country, customs, history. Hispanics you have Mexican, Puerto Rican, Dominican, etc. Go up to a Puerto Rican and call them Mexican you might get your teeth knocked out. I grew up with Irish friends Jewish friends and some Italians. Well its the same with African Americans I grew up with some from Jamaica, some from African and some from Louisiana. Well the Jamaican and the Louisiana person isen't brothers.

Old 04-03-2008, 10:34 PM

1,104 posts, read 1,512,398 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by steppie827 View Post
All white people don't like George Bush, Hillary Clinton or call them brother and sister.
All black people don't like Little John, T.I Zimbaboo or call them brother and sister. I grew up as an Army brat with lots of mixed up people. Asians there are Chinese, Japanese, Filipino etc. Americans only see Asian or all they see is Chinese. Well the Chinese might not call a Filipino "my brother" its a different country, customs, history. Hispanics you have Mexican, Puerto Rican, Dominican, etc. Go up to a Puerto Rican and call them Mexican you might get your teeth knocked out. I grew up with Irish friends Jewish friends and some Italians. Well its the same with African Americans I grew up with some from Jamaica, some from African and some from Louisiana. Well the Jamaican and the Louisiana person isen't brothers.
Interesting...I notice sometime that Italians and Jews don't like to be called White. Has anyone else experienced this??

Old 04-03-2008, 10:46 PM

9,191 posts, read 33,782,648 times
I remember back in the mid 80s I lived down in the Lindbergh area and there were a number of Cubans who lived in that area. Well, the Mexican migration to the area had really just begun and they started moving into the area. The Cubans just despised the Mexicans. More than one Cuban neighbor called them "Spanish trash" when refering to them.

I was very amazed at this, and it made me realize that as Americans we have a somewhat narrow view of other nationalities. For example, many Americans would look at Cubans and Mexicans as simply, "people who all speak Spanish who are moving here" as though they were the same. Quite untrue as there is apparently some tension between the two cultures. Likewise I have heard negative Mexican remarks by people from Brazil and Spain, so I guess the Mexicans have it rough because it seems every other Spanish speaking culture has it out for them! I'm not sure if this is simply cultural, or if it simply has to do with immigration, as we have the Mexican/border problem and other Spanish nationalities have to go through the paperwork process the hard way to get here, etc.

Regarding the earlier story about the black family who went to Africa and were met with racism by other blacks - it's not just Africa though. I've worked with some British people who were black in the past and their comments about American blacks were also not exactly positive and nice either. I never discussed the details with them as to why but you could definately tell there was a "nose turned up" opinion by them of the blacks here. But then again, many white UK residents think that most white U.S. residents are fat and stupid too, so it might just be a UK vs. US thing there.

Old 04-04-2008, 12:09 AM

91 posts, read 343,251 times
I have a black friend who was born and raised in Ohio. She cant stand southern blacks, because she says they dont speak proper english, and she says they consider speaking proper english as talking "white", and would make fun of her for speaking this way. She also went out of her way to tell people that she was NOT from Atlanta for fear of people associating her with the hop hop culture that is very prevalent in atlanta.

Old 04-04-2008, 09:53 AM

3,011 posts, read 6,284,650 times
Quote:
I remember back in the mid 80s I lived down in the Lindbergh area and there were a number of Cubans who lived in that area. Well, the Mexican migration to the area had really just begun and they started moving into the area. The Cubans just despised the Mexicans. More than one Cuban neighbor called them "Spanish trash" when refering to them.

I was very amazed at this, and it made me realize that as Americans we have a somewhat narrow view of other nationalities. For example, many Americans would look at Cubans and Mexicans as simply, "people who all speak Spanish who are moving here" as though they were the same. Quite untrue as there is apparently some tension between the two cultures. Likewise I have heard negative Mexican remarks by people from Brazil and Spain, so I guess the Mexicans have it rough because it seems every other Spanish speaking culture has it out for them! I'm not sure if this is simply cultural, or if it simply has to do with immigration, as we have the Mexican/border problem and other Spanish nationalities have to go through the paperwork process the hard way to get here, etc.

Regarding the earlier story about the black family who went to Africa and were met with racism by other blacks - it's not just Africa though. I've worked with some British people who were black in the past and their comments about American blacks were also not exactly positive and nice either. I never discussed the details with them as to why but you could definately tell there was a "nose turned up" opinion by them of the blacks here. But then again, many white UK residents think that most white U.S. residents are fat and stupid too, so it might just be a UK vs. US thing there.
Very interesting observation....

Old 04-05-2008, 11:18 AM

9,067 posts, read 15,728,766 times
Quote:
Oh, I'm sorry - we met face to face when, exactly?

People have guessed over the years that I'm everything from Asian to Polynesian, to Middle Eastern to anything in-between. I do not "look" European-white. I also was raised in Appalachia, which in case you've never visited the region is vastly different in culture and lifestyle than what many would call "western heritage". Don't assume anything.
Excuse me I apologize.I only meant to say that as i have witness in my life.Black is the worst in color when people see you in America.An person from Asia might have a problem with anyone outside their race but Black?And yes i know it goes other ways with other races.This is only an example.I feel for all people that are suffering in the world and ultimately we are all human.However whenever i am in Appalacia ,there is an enormous amount of racism toward black people they don't even live around or know.

Old 04-05-2008, 04:27 PM

196 posts, read 766,458 times
Today is my very opinionated day so here goes. I do think that black people are seen first and not given a chance to be known first. Interpertation :they are judged by their skin's hue. No, I'm not black but I observe. It's a shame but that's the conditioning of most but not all people. This whole conversation is depressing to me and many times that's why I don't come on here. That's not to say that other races including the white people are viewed the same as are the Asians, and Spanish speaking people.

Old 04-05-2008, 10:03 PM

293 posts, read 568,583 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by winter View Post
Today is my very opinionated day so here goes. I do think that black people are seen first and not given a chance to be known first. Interpertation :they are judged by their skin's hue. No, I'm not black but I observe. It's a shame but that's the conditioning of most but not all people. This whole conversation is depressing to me and many times that's why I don't come on here. That's not to say that other races including the white people are viewed the same as are the Asians, and Spanish speaking people.
...the problem is that there are a lot of people who do not agree with your statement. If people will not even admit that we all have a ways to go, is there any hope?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta