U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-19-2013, 01:20 PM

10,563 posts, read 10,898,420 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by arjay57 View Post
Bring back Izzy.
ARGH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!:eek :
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-19-2013, 01:37 PM

7,241 posts, read 8,865,399 times
I feel like this has already been done.

Peaking in the 80s most of the extra depictions and mascots have died downed/changed since then. Those that still exist have been altered to prevent negative depictions.

The main thing that has been kept is the foam tomahawk... perhaps even boosted.

The other major benefit... I think we are lucky that most images we project are positive, although I understand a few arguments that could be raised.

Anyways... I just thought I'd copy this in from wikipedia for entertainment:

Team names:
  • Atlanta Braves (1966–present)
Atlanta Braves - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Old 09-19-2013, 05:17 PM

30,957 posts, read 30,125,408 times
We had the Atlanta crackers for years, which was a pejorative term for poor whites. That may not be a good comparison, however.

Old 09-19-2013, 06:05 PM

1,041 posts, read 1,014,095 times
Actually, the Braves is a noble name. The thing that needs to go is that mindless tomahawk chop. I wish the Braves organization would stop encouraging fans to do the chop by handing out the foam tomahawks and playing the annoying warpath music. The tomahawk chop just makes Atlanta fans look ignorant.

Old 09-19-2013, 08:32 PM

8,057 posts, read 11,241,323 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stillstuckinthesouth View Post
Actually, the Braves is a noble name. The thing that needs to go is that mindless tomahawk chop. I wish the Braves organization would stop encouraging fans to do the chop by handing out the foam tomahawks and playing the annoying warpath music. The tomahawk chop just makes Atlanta fans look ignorant.
The Tomahawk chop originates from Florida State University... the Seminoles (and a name the Seminole nation is proud for FSU to hold by the way.) Deion Sanders, an FSU alum, brought it to the Braves when he played for them and the fans took off with it.

It's part of the lore now, don't think anyone can stop it. Thank goodness Political Correctness doesn't inhabit every corner of the country. Yet.

Old 09-19-2013, 09:34 PM

2,039 posts, read 3,305,176 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by arjay57 View Post
We had the Atlanta crackers for years, which was a pejorative term for poor whites. That may not be a good comparison, however.
Right... And there was also the Atlanta Black Crackers...
Both HORRIBLE names...
I don't know what kind of retards came up with those old names, but of ALL the names and words in the English language, some complete dummy landed on Crackers and said "Yeah, that sounds like a good team name..." ?!?!?

But back then, those old guys just did not GIVE A $@#% about other human beings...

Old 09-19-2013, 09:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saintmarks View Post
The Tomahawk chop originates from Florida State University... the Seminoles (and a name the Seminole nation is proud for FSU to hold by the way.) Deion Sanders, an FSU alum, brought it to the Braves when he played for them and the fans took off with it.

It's part of the lore now, don't think anyone can stop it. Thank goodness Political Correctness doesn't inhabit every corner of the country. Yet.
Thanks for mentioning that. This is very true. In fact, before every FSU home game, the guy that rides out on the horse is reserved for a Real member of Seminole Nation.

If you're going to name a team after a people, THAT is the way to do it, and honor them. NOT jus throw the name up there (disregarding how it offends them) and claim they shouldn't be offended by it because you MEANT it to honor them. That way is such crap. Good intentions means nothing. Some of the worst crimes in history were done with good intentions.

I don't think the Tomahawk chop needs to go. I actually like it, because it keeps the Braves unique from all other baseball stadium experiences. I just wish it would get as loud and strong as it once did, back in '91, '92... Remember those days? When the chant could be heard from the Blimp and from the downtown connector?? Wish we could have those old fans back...

Old 09-19-2013, 09:54 PM

And again for some, we are not talking about the team NAME. I think we can all agree the NAME is fine and doesn't need to change. Nor does the Braves mascot NEED to change. But I'm just suggesting a change that could put the Braves in line with the other Atlanta teams (bird themed) AND also be viewed as stepping up and showing the other organizations (like Indians, Redskins and others) that it is okay & there are ways to make a change.

There are ways... For example, the Redskins (not saying this IS the answer, but just an example to show how there ARE ways) should drop the "Red" part and stick to "The Skins"
Already, some fans wear pig noses because part of the Skins theme is a pig. And the football is a "pigSKIN..." Just run with that theme. A new Hog mascot. Maybe start wearing a different helmet. They CAN even just stick with the "R" and feather logo to commemorate the history of the franchise without running with the offensive name and depiction of a Native American person logo. Just an idea. There are ways.

Old 09-19-2013, 10:08 PM

858 posts, read 1,216,605 times
Wouldn't that be offensive to eagles?

Old 09-19-2013, 10:40 PM

465 posts, read 498,763 times
"I've had a long night and i hate the f#%king Eagles, man!" - The Dude
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta