U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-19-2013, 11:56 PM

2,039 posts, read 3,306,902 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by erick295 View Post
Wouldn't that be offensive to eagles?
LOL!!!!!!!

Maybe.....
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-20-2013, 12:11 AM

11,333 posts, read 23,897,996 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by arjay57 View Post
Bring back Izzy.
I have to go wash my eyes out now... Thank you.

Old 09-20-2013, 10:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by arjay57 View Post
Bring back Izzy.

What a tragedy that was.......................

"Blaze" SHOULD have been the Official Atlanta SUMMER OLYMPICS mascot instead.

Old 09-20-2013, 10:51 AM

Here's an idea...

What about if the Braves used the old Atlanta Paralympics mascot "Blaze" (above)
Recolored him to fit Braves colors.

Then to make him fit the theme of the team, imagine on the Jumbotron when something happens, and the drum beat starts going as the Tomahawk chop chant starts, you see an animation of smoke signals going up, and out of the flames & smoke making the smoke signals comes "Blaze" the phoenix...

Can be tied into being the symbol of the city AND tied into te Braves' Native American theme, without depicting any persons as to not be offensive.

So, instead of a Bald Eagle or Hawk, the Braves use a Phoenix rising from a smoke signal as their bird themed mascot...

Thoughts???

Quote:
Originally Posted by DTL3000 View Post
Why would the Braves want to be anything like other Atlanta teams? They all suck.
BECAUSE!!!! It is the ATLANTA Braves... NOT just the Braves... You can't take the Atlanta out of the organization. And the bird theme for teams comes from Atlanta's symbol for the city being a Bird rising from the flames aka a phoenix.

Having a bird symbol isn't just a sports thing. It is an ATLANTA thing, which is WHY it's nice & fitting for Atlanta teams have bird themes. Would be nice if the Braves could fall in line and make it even more of an Atlanta THING to have a bird symbol/theme.

Old 09-20-2013, 01:19 PM

1,336 posts, read 1,218,564 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Psykomonkee View Post
You can't take the Atlanta out of the organization.
That didn't stop Anaheim

Old 09-20-2013, 05:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DJDeadParrot View Post
That didn't stop Anaheim
Not the same...
That would more so equate to if someone tried renaming the Gwinnett Braves to Atlanta

Simply, you just can't try to distance the ATLANTA Braves from "Atlanta"

Old 09-21-2013, 03:38 AM

1,041 posts, read 1,015,020 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Saintmarks View Post
The Tomahawk chop originates from Florida State University... the Seminoles (and a name the Seminole nation is proud for FSU to hold by the way.) Deion Sanders, an FSU alum, brought it to the Braves when he played for them and the fans took off with it.

It's part of the lore now, don't think anyone can stop it. Thank goodness Political Correctness doesn't inhabit every corner of the country. Yet.

I agree. It can't be stopped. Most fans love it:

Old 09-21-2013, 11:47 AM

8,057 posts, read 11,248,219 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Psykomonkee View Post
Thanks for mentioning that. This is very true. In fact, before every FSU home game, the guy that rides out on the horse is reserved for a Real member of Seminole Nation.

If you're going to name a team after a people, THAT is the way to do it, and honor them. NOT jus throw the name up there (disregarding how it offends them) and claim they shouldn't be offended by it because you MEANT it to honor them. That way is such crap. Good intentions means nothing. Some of the worst crimes in history were done with good intentions.

I don't think the Tomahawk chop needs to go. I actually like it, because it keeps the Braves unique from all other baseball stadium experiences. I just wish it would get as loud and strong as it once did, back in '91, '92... Remember those days? When the chant could be heard from the Blimp and from the downtown connector?? Wish we could have those old fans back...
The teams need to be as loud and strong as those days. Maybe a good run in the playoffs will get it back loud and proud again.

Old 09-21-2013, 11:41 PM

1,486 posts, read 1,620,882 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Saintmarks View Post
The teams need to be as loud and strong as those days. Maybe a good run in the playoffs will get it back loud and proud again.
HELLO!!! Post of the day!

Old 09-23-2013, 05:39 AM

759 posts, read 1,202,215 times
Frankly, I loved Noc-A-Homa and his teepee, even his Princess, Win-A-Lotta. I also loved the caricatured Indian head that appeared above the headline all summer in the Constitution-a smiling Brave for a win, a crying Brave for a loss. Not PC now, I'll grant.
I loathed "Rally" at his introduction, in his first incarnation he was vaguely bird-like with a lightning bolt across his chest. His specialty then was robot-dancing, and the "Worm"-what the hell did that have to do with baseball, especially Braves baseball? (FWIW, I also worked with the original Rally-he was a young, gay, black waiter at the restaurant where I cooked-I didn't like him much either.)
When Homer-the-Brave first came out everyone thought that he was a man in a baseball cap with a bad case of Hydrocephalus.
I do have a fond spot for the Bleacher Creature, tho'. God, I miss Skip, Ernie and Pete.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta