Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-27-2013, 08:46 AM

31,997 posts, read 36,601,808 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnsleyPark View Post
There are, arjay. I don't have it readily handily, but I'll try to put my hands on it over the next week and will share it with you. I do know that the folks who visit are majority intowners, but the percentage of non-intowners and even non-metro Atlanta folks is surprisingly (at least to me) large.
Thanks, Ansley, I was just curious. Judging by the non-Fulton tags it looks like a lot of folks come in from other places.

That's fine, in my opinion, but given that the park operates on private funding it really does highlight the need for visitors to bring a "take good care of this!" attitude.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-27-2013, 09:00 AM
JPD

12,138 posts, read 18,237,423 times
Do any of the parking fees go towards park maintennance?

Old 12-27-2013, 10:55 AM

9,008 posts, read 13,994,443 times
As far as I'm concerned, this represents a failure on whoever negotiated the deal to allow the event organizers to use the park.

If they caused more damage than they covered in repairs, then this is a failure. So I wouldn't blame the event organizers or people who attended the event, I would blame whoever negotiated the deal for the park and make sure they negotiate a better deal next year.

Whatever damage the event causes the park, you're on the hook to repair. I don't see why that is complicated.

Old 12-27-2013, 11:03 AM
JPD

Quote:
Originally Posted by ATLTJL View Post
As far as I'm concerned, this represents a failure on whoever negotiated the deal to allow the event organizers to use the park.

If they caused more damage than they covered in repairs, then this is a failure. So I wouldn't blame the event organizers or people who attended the event, I would blame whoever negotiated the deal for the park and make sure they negotiate a better deal next year.

Whatever damage the event causes the park, you're on the hook to repair. I don't see why that is complicated.
I agree with this. I would also add a facility fee to the ticket price, like they do at a lot of concert venues.

Old 12-27-2013, 11:22 AM

1,151 posts, read 1,303,422 times
Quote:

End Of Thread

All this whining about a large city park being used for events that help drive the culture and bring in tax dollars to the city (making it desirable) is silly. Whoever negotiated with the promoter should have included the FULL cost of repairs and that shouldn't mean the park doesn't get be used ever again.

Old 12-27-2013, 12:09 PM

31,997 posts, read 36,601,808 times
Sounds like the experts on how the park should be operated and paid for are the folks who don't operate or pay for it.

Old 12-27-2013, 12:19 PM
JPD

Peter Conlon claims his organization donated a "drainage system" to the park in 2012. Anyone know the details of this? Maybe the park and Conlon have some sort of sweetheart deal.

Muddy Music Midtown | Gay Atlanta | LGBT Atlanta | News, Gay Entertainment, Events and Nightlife

Gripe all you want about the damage, and characterize the attendees however you like (even though those of you who are doing this know you're being wildly unfair), but we all know Music Midtown will be back next year at Piedmont Park.

Old 12-27-2013, 02:38 PM

9,008 posts, read 13,994,443 times
Well, I lived in the city of Atlanta for over 7 years, so I feel like I've paid at least some taxes toward the park.

Anyway, this isn't expertise. It's common sense. When you write a contract for a promoter to use a park, a volunteer organization shouldn't be left picking up the pieces and paying for repairs.

If that didn't happen, whoever contracts events for the park should be fired and replaced.

Old 12-27-2013, 05:10 PM

10,737 posts, read 13,302,131 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JPD View Post
Do any of the parking fees go towards park maintennance?
No

Old 12-27-2013, 05:11 PM

10,737 posts, read 13,302,131 times
Quote:

The city of Atlanta owns the park and has full say so over how it is used.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta