Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-03-2015, 04:27 PM

37,881 posts, read 41,926,018 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by afonega1 View Post
If you mean "Downtown" maybe but in town meaning Midtown and Buckhead are very vibrant.I can't see what you can't find in Atlanta you can find in Chicago except better museums and architecture.
And a beach...that's a biggie.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-03-2015, 04:31 PM

9,818 posts, read 7,926,133 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnsleyPark View Post
JMatl, you are correct. But those things are very present OTP, as well. Perhaps not as well known or copious, but they are here, much to my pleasant surprise.
Oh, I know AP. I just can't imagine not taking advantage of everything there is ITP.

I used to work with a guy from Philly that was a recent arrival and lived in Buford. His wife wasn't 'allowed' to go to Lenox with the neighbor ladies, due to safety issues!

Old 01-03-2015, 05:22 PM

1,280 posts, read 1,857,560 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mutiny77 View Post
And a beach...that's a biggie.
There's a pretty cool river that courses through downtown Chicago, also. Despite what locals claim, the Navy Pier is no slouch.

Old 01-03-2015, 06:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThreeSides View Post
There's a pretty cool river that courses through downtown Chicago, also. Despite what locals claim, the Navy Pier is no slouch.
Absolutely. I actually think Chitown is underrated in some respects.

Old 01-03-2015, 08:57 PM

1,697 posts, read 2,249,093 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by flamadiddle View Post
I didn't read through all 28+ pages, but I agree with the OP. One of things I dislike about Atlanta is the lack of a vibrant downtown. When we first moved here, we went downtown on occasion to see what the city had to offer, but after a few visits, we never found a reason to ever go inside the perimeter again.
This seriously discredits your constantly negative opinions of Atlanta. If you've only been Downtown a couple of times you haven't seen the city. I sense you went to the touristy part of Downtown, most of which is in two or three neighborhoods.

Atlanta has 242 neighborhoods! Many of them are very vibrant. I guarantee you that if you were to truly explore the city you'd find neighborhoods that you love.

Old 01-03-2015, 09:16 PM

46 posts, read 68,069 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by afonega1 View Post
If you mean "Downtown" maybe but in town meaning Midtown and Buckhead are very vibrant.I can't see what you can't find in Atlanta you can find in Chicago except better museums and architecture.
Atlanta neighborhood s I think are just as nice as Chicago.
Just less dense.
There is absolutely 100% no comparison between Atlanta and Chicago. Chicago blows Atlanta out of the water.

Architecture, a vibrant and thriving downtown, museums (some of the best in the world,) music venues, sporting events, some of the best restaurants in the world, diversity and culture... I could go on and on but I'll stop.

The OP is absolutely correct in saying ATL has a really poor downtown area, there's nothing spectacular of note.

Old 01-03-2015, 09:24 PM

9,818 posts, read 7,926,133 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jstreets6 View Post
There is absolutely 100% no comparison between Atlanta and Chicago. Chicago blows Atlanta out of the water.

Architecture, a vibrant and thriving downtown, museums (some of the best in the world,) music venues, sporting events, some of the best restaurants in the world, diversity and culture... I could go on and on but I'll stop.

The OP is absolutely correct in saying ATL has a really poor downtown area, there's nothing spectacular of note.
Let's get real, here. You simply CAN NOT compare the 2nd largest City in the U.S. to Atlanta.

It isn't fair, nor would it be to ANY City - with the possible exception of NY, but even then...

Old 01-03-2015, 09:59 PM

6,721 posts, read 6,478,550 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by joey86 View Post
This seriously discredits your constantly negative opinions of Atlanta. If you've only been Downtown a couple of times you haven't seen the city. I sense you went to the touristy part of Downtown, most of which is in two or three neighborhoods.

Atlanta has 242 neighborhoods! Many of them are very vibrant. I guarantee you that if you were to truly explore the city you'd find neighborhoods that you love.
I've worked both downtown and in Buckhead and I was never impressed (Actually, Buckhead used to be a pretty cool place until they decided to plow it down). My Niece lives in the Kirkwood area and again, completely unimpressed with that area and everything around there.

If Atlanta is vibrant to you, then more power to you, but to me, it's a terribly boring city.

I'm sitting in Denver right now and IMHO, Denver blows Atlanta away.

Old 01-03-2015, 10:22 PM

1,697 posts, read 2,249,093 times
Quote:
I've worked both downtown and in Buckhead and I was never impressed (Actually, Buckhead used to be a pretty cool place until they decided to plow it down). My Niece lives in the Kirkwood area and again, completely unimpressed with that area and everything around there.

If Atlanta is vibrant to you, then more power to you, but to me, it's a terribly boring city.

Downtown has some great neighborhoods. Peachtree Center, Five Points and Centennial Park are pretty lame, at best. I agree about most of the Buckhead neighborhoods. It just isn't my cup of tea. I completely agree about Kirkwood too. It's way overrated, in my opinion. We're in agreement so far.

There are well over 200 neighborhoods left. Some of my favorites are Inman Park, Poncey-Highland, Cabbagetown, Old Fourth Ward, Lake Claire, Reynoldstown, West End, Candler Park, Castleberry Hill, Grant Park and Sweet Auburn.

I'm sure you would like one of them if you gave them the chance.

Old 01-04-2015, 12:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jstreets6 View Post
"Really poor downtown area"? It's not a bombed out war zone, which is what you make it sound like. It's really a mixed bag, so there's not really one adjective that describes downtown as a whole. It definitely has amazing potential which is slowly but surely being realized.

Quote:
I've worked both downtown and in Buckhead and I was never impressed (Actually, Buckhead used to be a pretty cool place until they decided to plow it down).
Buckhead didn't get plowed down; that was Buckhead Village. There's a lot more to Buckhead than that, although the village definitely was a loss.

Quote:
I'm sorry, but with all there is to do and see here, if you find Atlanta "terribly boring," then you have to be a terribly boring person.

Quote:
In what way(s), specifically beyond the downtown area?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta