Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-07-2015, 12:51 PM

2,613 posts, read 4,146,666 times

Advertisements

Not only bungalows but also tons of Frank Lloyd Wright homes, for example, in the near West suburbs (Oak Park). Just another example.
Quote:
Originally Posted by residinghere2007 View Post
This thread is a hoot!

I don't see why everyone who lives in Atlanta doesn't agree that downtown is not much compared to other cities' downtown across the country.

There are tons of posts on this forum about how crappy downtown is by these very same posters I bet who are getting up in a tizzy about tourists not liking downtown. If you don't like it why would you think a tourist would.

FWIW, I find it odd that other cities' downtowns were even brought up. Atlanta has a lot of plusses but its downtown is not one of them. I can't believe someone would even compare Atlanta to Chicago either. Downtown Chicago is BEAUTIFUL and there is a plethora of activity and businesses, much moreso than in Atlanta. Someone earlier in this thread mentioned Detroit having a worse downtown than Atlanta. I bet they have never been to downtown Detroit as it is also beautiful and has had a LOT of investment in the past 10 years. I was shocked at how great it was when I went there last month. They also have a river running through downtown Detroit, colleges and universities, including the art institute, sporting events, businesses, and it is very pedestrian friendly and patrolled by private security. Most old midwestern cities have pretty decent, if not impressive downtowns in comparison to Atlanta. Most people are surprised by Detroit's especially due to them having a bad reputation as of late, but contrary to what people think, Detroit in its entirety is not abandoned or blighted.

Also, someone mentioned Chicago's neighborhoods and their middle class neighborhoods are just as good as Atlanta's IMO. And FWIW, I am only very familiar with the negatively portrayed "South Side" of Chicago. I have been to the north side and west, but know mostly of the southside and southside Chicago has some GREAT neighborhoods and very interesting architecture. Chicago Bungalow anyone.....?

Atlanta has a lot of positives. That should not be downplayed as the city is a great city and has the reputation of a great city for a reason, but one of those reasons is not necessarily the downtown portion of the city which a lot of people who visited me complained was too hilly and unwalkable and had too many homeless people harrassing them and not much to do or see other than the touristy district of Centennial Park.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-07-2015, 12:53 PM

2,613 posts, read 4,146,666 times
Don't forget the brownstones and the all brick walk-ups. [QUOTE=steeps;37922333]Ok since this is a Atlanta vs. Chicago thread.....

MY VOTE GOES TO CHICAGO... HAVING A SHORELINE, ON MUSEUMS, PARKS, ITS DOWNTOWN, ITS NEIGHBORHOODS (CHICAGO'S grid layout created for its vast bungalow belt... pleasant singles with deep front yards and tree lined.... all in the city limits and All power lines in alleys behind and garages there) No tenements like NYC did and very limited Row homes. I will even say cleaner then most other cities... especially its downtown.

Atlanta has CNN ... it is very anti-Chicago did expose's on gangs and schools that lead to Chicago's new stigma it then has to deal with... but does overcome when one visits the city.... but sadly not before? A win to Atlanta for milder weather like winter.

NOW!!! Does anyone want to pit ATLANTA against.... OTHER SOUTHERN CITIES PER THREAD TOPIC? ??

Examples ; Miami, St Petersburg Nashville, Charlotte ,New Orleans, and maybe Houston and Dallas, Perhaps most see Texas as Southwest not south like me? Some consider DC a southern city? I do not.[/quote]

Old 01-07-2015, 01:00 PM

1,054 posts, read 1,235,984 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnsleyPark View Post
I wandered from Five Points station over to the Fulton Superior Court this morning. Other than freezing half to death, I did get a chuckle when I saw a Peachtree Street store-front sign that read "J&J's Gold Teeth." Now, I betcha that Chicago and Philly don't have a business like that downtown!
LOL, and people say downtown Atlanta lacks high-end retail!

Old 01-07-2015, 01:32 PM

1,979 posts, read 2,383,572 times
I honestly am not a fan of Chicago's Housing Architecture. that's about all I have to say about Chicago. back to talking about Atlanta.

Old 01-07-2015, 02:11 PM
bu2

24,101 posts, read 14,885,315 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mutiny77 View Post
Thank you. Having a beach isn't just about getting in the water as some people have implied, but it's also about the environment, scenery, and amenities that cluster near the beaches/waterfront. Atlanta just doesn't have that and it's ridiculous to argue that point.
True. And you'd have to be crazy to actually get in that water. Some people do.

Old 01-07-2015, 02:19 PM

4,209 posts, read 4,746,006 times
I sware I thought this was a city vs city thread for a sec

Old 01-07-2015, 02:24 PM

9,067 posts, read 15,798,960 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by residinghere2007 View Post
This thread is a hoot!

I don't see why everyone who lives in Atlanta doesn't agree that downtown is not much compared to other cities' downtown across the country.

There are tons of posts on this forum about how crappy downtown is by these very same posters I bet who are getting up in a tizzy about tourists not liking downtown. If you don't like it why would you think a tourist would.

FWIW, I find it odd that other cities' downtowns were even brought up. Atlanta has a lot of plusses but its downtown is not one of them. I can't believe someone would even compare Atlanta to Chicago either. Downtown Chicago is BEAUTIFUL and there is a plethora of activity and businesses, much moreso than in Atlanta. Someone earlier in this thread mentioned Detroit having a worse downtown than Atlanta. I bet they have never been to downtown Detroit as it is also beautiful and has had a LOT of investment in the past 10 years. I was shocked at how great it was when I went there last month. They also have a river running through downtown Detroit, colleges and universities, including the art institute, sporting events, businesses, and it is very pedestrian friendly and patrolled by private security. Most old midwestern cities have pretty decent, if not impressive downtowns in comparison to Atlanta. Most people are surprised by Detroit's especially due to them having a bad reputation as of late, but contrary to what people think, Detroit in its entirety is not abandoned or blighted.

Also, someone mentioned Chicago's neighborhoods and their middle class neighborhoods are just as good as Atlanta's IMO. And FWIW, I am only very familiar with the negatively portrayed "South Side" of Chicago. I have been to the north side and west, but know mostly of the southside and southside Chicago has some GREAT neighborhoods and very interesting architecture. Chicago Bungalow anyone.....?

Atlanta has a lot of positives. That should not be downplayed as the city is a great city and has the reputation of a great city for a reason, but one of those reasons is not necessarily the downtown portion of the city which a lot of people who visited me complained was too hilly and unwalkable and had too many homeless people harrassing them and not much to do or see other than the touristy district of Centennial Park.
I know I never said downtown is the best but it's not the worst either.Atlantas downtown is more than the rough area around Underground. Do why do people insist it's all bad.Its not.

IF you are in Manhattan near Wall Street or near Canal street those areas have nothing for tourist either

Let's be clear.No where did I say Atlanta was better than Chicago.There are things I like better than Chicago and one of yhe things is it's housing stock.

I did say the more expensive homes in Chicago are better . Especially the older historic neighborhoods but overall the average middle class neighborhood s in Chicago are full of clapboard shingle uninspired prewar duplexes and single family homes.

Frank Lloyd Wright homes are not in those neighborhoods throughout much of the city.

Old 01-07-2015, 02:30 PM

9,067 posts, read 15,798,960 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tryska View Post
I honestly am not a fan of Chicago's Housing Architecture. that's about all I have to say about Chicago. back to talking about Atlanta.
I think you understand what I'm talking about.its a style that is all over the Midwest. That prewar look with all the bold looking worn suding.Even when it's new it looks so dated.

Old 01-07-2015, 03:06 PM

1,697 posts, read 2,249,847 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by afonega1 View Post
Whatever dude.i was referring to beaches and how I personally never go to Chicago for its beaches.im sure people do but you never could admit that going to a beach in Chicago is not on the t top of the list like going to the mountains is not top on the list when in Atlanta.
In fact I defended Chicago so much against Toronto in the city vs City thread, I got kicked out.
Mutiny never said people go to Chicago for the beaches. People don't go to cities like that for the beaches. He just said it's something good that they have and we don't.

The comparison to Georgia's mountains is inaccurate since Atlanta isn't near the mountains like the lake is to Chicago. We don't have the visual appeal of a signature geographic feature near Downtown. Chicago does.

I doubt you got kicked out of a thread for making a polite, rational argument.

Old 01-07-2015, 03:25 PM

37,882 posts, read 41,956,856 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by joey86 View Post
Mutiny never said people go to Chicago for the beaches. People don't go to cities like that for the beaches. He just said it's something good that they have and we don't.

The comparison to Georgia's mountains is inaccurate since Atlanta isn't near the mountains like the lake is to Chicago. We don't have the visual appeal of a signature geographic feature near Downtown. Chicago does.

I doubt you got kicked out of a thread for making a polite, rational argument.
Thanks, once again. I have no clue what he's flying off the rails about, arguing against something I never said or remotely implied. Any rational person can see my simple statement for what it is.

Chicago has a beach/lakefront right downtown and we don't; +1 for Chicago. That's my only point. I don't get why somebody would try and make that out to be more than it is.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta