Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-14-2015, 04:41 PM

7,112 posts, read 10,085,837 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mutiny77 View Post
Fairlie-Poplar is a sizable part of downtown Atlanta and indeed is Atlanta's original and historic downtown district, which is the subject of this discussion as the title indicates.
It's not sizeable. I can easily walk its perimeter in little time. Just pointing out to others that might think its representative of what downtown Atlanta looks like.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-14-2015, 04:43 PM

1,624 posts, read 2,020,424 times
San Antonio I think has the best downtown in the southern region of America.

Old 01-14-2015, 05:31 PM

286 posts, read 434,848 times
I think downtown Atlanta is descent but it was strange the atlanta braves won't be downtown anymore.

Old 01-14-2015, 06:12 PM

7,574 posts, read 10,692,649 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LovelySummer View Post
Yes, I am not arguing with him. That is what I keep trying to say.

With regard to true Grant Park and the area I like (the large victorians that border the park), I visited numerous times and spoke to passersby on the streets and I saw lots of families with small children but there was absolutely no racial diversity. I guess it's a result of gentrification as you (or someone on this thread) indicated. No, I wasn't saying Buckhead was better. I was saying if the make-up of the area of Grant Park that I like is not going to be diverse, what is the point of incurring addtl travel time. Staying in Buckhead makes more sense. Less commute and same lack of diversity. I have been looking and also started a thread bc a colleague asked about diversity intown but I haven't found it. Where is Fairlie-Poplar by the way?
Fairlie-Poplar is the very center of downtown. It is the oldest preserved part and sort of the original part of Downtown when it was far smaller... well a piece of it.

It is the area behind the new ferris wheel and the tabernacle. It doesn't connect well with the Centennial park. That is the backdoor of the neighborhood.

https://www.google.com/maps/place/Fa...21a5c5bf8eb591

The buildings have tons of character and it is very charming. They even close off some of the streets during the day and have streets of businesses dedicated to food for office patrons.

The issue is many people who move into town overlook it, because they aren't too many touristy/shopping things to do there if you aren't working nearby. I also think it is an issue of race and class for many people that move in from out of town. It far enough south and near Five Points there is a large influx poorer black people that spill into the area sometimes. Truth be told its a very busy area and perfectly fine... people just get out of their comfort zone.

This comes back to the issue with PCM being downtown. You have to get more of the neighborhoods around downtown reinvigorated first. a PCM won't work if what they did at Underground won't work. It won't work if we can't get more newcomers to our city into Fairlie-Poplar.

Those are the bones of our city have had those types of upgrades in the past

Old 01-14-2015, 06:35 PM

37,795 posts, read 41,511,906 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Atlanta_BD View Post
|

Why does everything turn into a p***ing for you guys? I personally like downtown Dallas better. That is MY opinion and I am entitled to it. Who cares if El Centro isn't an answer for GSU? Some of you here act as if people don't have the right to like other places more than Atlanta. Good grief!
This entire thread is based on a comparison of Atlanta's downtown with those of other Southern cities; if it's a "pissing match," then that's how the thread was set up from the beginning and yet you decided to wade into it anyway and actively participate so spare me the righteous indignation. You're just as much a part of this as anyone else.

No one is chiding you for liking Dallas's downtown better, so there's no need to throw a tantrum. However, you referenced factual information in support of your position and I continued in that same vein so I fail to understand why you're upset. And obviously you care that El Centro isn't an answer for GSU because when I said that downtown Dallas lacked an asset like a large downtown university which Atlanta has, you said "Oh downtown Dallas has a college"--which, by the way, only consists of five buildings spread over two blocks LOL. As usual, you simply find it hard to give Atlanta unqualified credit for anything and then want to complain about pro-Atlanta people in the ATLANTA FORUM. It's actually rather hilarious.

Old 01-14-2015, 06:36 PM

7,574 posts, read 10,692,649 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Atlanta_BD View Post
|

Why does everything turn into a p***ing for you guys? I personally like downtown Dallas better. That is MY opinion and I am entitled to it. Who cares if El Centro isn't an answer for GSU? Some of you here act as if people don't have the right to like other places more than Atlanta. Good grief!
I've largely been ignoring your debate. Tread carefully...

It takes two to tango and people really haven't responded to you any differently than how you have responded to them.

An internet forum is not a place where you can say something unchecked. If you just want people to always agree with you, then you're in the wrong place.

I don't really like Dallas more, but I see its charming sides too. This is largely why I'm not jumping into this debate, but it does seem like you sold Downtown Atlanta rather short. I can see some definite pros and cons to both.

Surely, you can understand why some of the points you tried to raised were at least debatable. Even you must admit that a single light rail line through downtown crossing surface streets carrying far fewer riders isn't quite the same as what Atlanta has.

No one has said you don't have a right to your opinion, however you made your claims relating Dallas compared to Atlanta in a discussion about Atlanta.

Of course others are going to answer you.... They are doing the same thing you just did.

Old 01-14-2015, 06:42 PM

2,613 posts, read 4,119,835 times
Thanks. I'll check out Fairlie Poplar. Maybe they've got nice single family homes there. The only aspect of intown that unnerves me are those parts with significant homeless population on the streets bc I know that since the govt closed many mental hospitals during the Reagan era, many mentally ill persons end up homeless and ok n the street. I'm always afraid of being attacked (like a close relative was on Marta by a homeless mentally ill man who thought she was someone different from who she was). Maybe there are opps for great real estate deals in Fairlie Poplar. The pics look great.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cwkimbro View Post
Fairlie-Poplar is the very center of downtown. It is the oldest preserved part and sort of the original part of Downtown when it was far smaller... well a piece of it.

It is the area behind the new ferris wheel and the tabernacle. It doesn't connect well with the Centennial park. That is the backdoor of the neighborhood.

https://www.google.com/maps/place/Fa...21a5c5bf8eb591

The buildings have tons of character and it is very charming. They even close off some of the streets during the day and have streets of businesses dedicated to food for office patrons.

The issue is many people who move into town overlook it, because they aren't too many touristy/shopping things to do there if you aren't working nearby. I also think it is an issue of race and class for many people that move in from out of town. It far enough south and near Five Points there is a large influx poorer black people that spill into the area sometimes. Truth be told its a very busy area and perfectly fine... people just get out of their comfort zone.

This comes back to the issue with PCM being downtown. You have to get more of the neighborhoods around downtown reinvigorated first. a PCM won't work if what they did at Underground won't work. It won't work if we can't get more newcomers to our city into Fairlie-Poplar.

Those are the bones of our city have had those types of upgrades in the past

Old 01-14-2015, 06:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MathmanMathman View Post
It's not sizeable. I can easily walk its perimeter in little time. Just pointing out to others that might think its representative of what downtown Atlanta looks like.
It is sizable compared to other downtown districts, consisting of 28 blocks (albeit the blocks are smaller in size than most others in the rest of downtown).

Old 01-14-2015, 06:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LovelySummer View Post
Thanks. I'll check out Fairlie Poplar. Maybe they've got nice single family homes there. The only aspect of intown that unnerves me are those parts with significant homeless population on the streets bc I know that since the govt closed many mental hospitals during the Reagan era, many mentally ill persons end up homeless and ok n the street. I'm always afraid of being attacked (like a close relative was on Marta by a homeless mentally ill man who thought she was someone different from who she was). Maybe there are opps for great real estate deals in Fairlie Poplar. The pics look great.
Not at all.

Old 01-14-2015, 06:57 PM

2,613 posts, read 4,119,835 times
Ha! Right. I just discovered that.

I am floored at Fairlie-Poplar, however.

Fellow Chicagoans:

Check out the condo buildings in Fairlie-Poplar. They look like Chicago buildings/condos. I love it. The units have amazing views also. If I was in my 20s again, with no kids, I would probably pick Fairlie-Poplar as it at least somewhat feels like living in the old beautiful buildings in Chicago (Lincoln Park, Hyde Park, Lake Shore Drive/Gold Coast).

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mutiny77 View Post
Not at all.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta