Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-01-2013, 09:57 AM

3,421 posts, read 5,219,515 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by JPD View Post
They would know by asking. The OP, with 343 posts, obviously knows about this forum, so why didn't they come here and ask us? Sounds like they wasted their money on a trip to Atlanta all because they didn't do their homework. Why would anyone travel in the first place if they think everyplace is just like home?
If you go to the Atlanta tourism site you can see all the attractions and places to stay downtown. As a tourist, if you looked at that site, you would think that downtown Atlanta is pretty interesting.There are many tourist attractions, hotels and convention areas, and restaurants in downtown Atlanta. Yet when you go there it falls flat; and many visitors complain that it's not what they expected. How do you explain that?

I don't think Atlanta's downtown is the worst, but again, it is for a city of its stature. It could be better.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-01-2013, 09:58 AM
JPD

12,138 posts, read 18,295,927 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Atlanta_BD View Post
It's not an uninformed expectation. It's a normal one. But you don't know that about Atlanta if you don't already know the right questions to ask.
The "right" questions are common sense that every traveler should know. You're making it sound mysterious when it isn't mysterious at all. "What's fun to do in Atlanta?" Simple. Obvious.

Old 10-01-2013, 10:01 AM
JPD

12,138 posts, read 18,295,927 times
Quote:
If you go to the Atlanta tourism site you can see all the attractions and places to stay downtown. As a tourist, if you looked at that site, you would think that downtown Atlanta is pretty interesting.There are many tourist attractions, hotels and convention areas, and restaurants in downtown Atlanta. Yet when you go there it falls flat; and many visitors complain that it's not what they expected. How do you explain that?

I don't think Atlanta's downtown is the worst, but again, it is for a city of its stature. It could be better.
I would say that they shouldn't have built their expectations solely on the tourism website. I realize people are generally lazy, but who does that little research before traveling and expects to have a good time?

Old 10-01-2013, 10:14 AM

1,280 posts, read 1,858,292 times
Using my Negrodomus insight, I predict that the next answer will be: If one can't have fun in downtown Atlanta, the problem is theirs.

Old 10-01-2013, 10:20 AM

1,151 posts, read 1,309,479 times
Quote:
But given that downtowns are usually the place to be in most major cities, how would a vsistor know that?

If you are planning a trip and know nothing about the city, how would you know to ask what places other than downtown to see? From a tourist/visitor perspective, how would you know that a major citiy's downtown isn't bustling and that the city is not pedestrian friendly? How would you know that if you don't know anyone in the city already? Why would a major city not be pedestrian frienldy? When you are used to sidewalks everywhere, it wouldn't occur to you the another major city doesn't have everywhere because you think sidewalks are "normal." Atlantans expect visitors to assume thingsouldn't assume normally.

Yes for northerners from other major cities, these just aren't questions you would think the ask because we are used to everything being right there. Sure it's fine that Atlanta's not like northern cities. The thing is, you don't know that until you actually get here.
I typically, research places before I go to them. Most cities IMO don't have everything I want in it's downtown.

Old 10-01-2013, 10:21 AM

5,126 posts, read 7,410,320 times
I LIKE Atlanta, but I agree with the OP. The first time I visited Atlanta's downtown, I came there from Dallas, Texas. I never really thought Dallas had a great downtown, but compared to Atlanta, it's definitely does. Even little Fort Worth has a better downtown. I hate to even say that because I hated living in Dallas and overall prefer Georgia and Atlanta.

Charlotte, North Carolina has a better downtown than Atlanta. That doesn't seem right.

It's not that Atlanta doesn't have plenty to do and see; it's that it's spread out and the central core isn't as highly developed as you'd think it would be.

I know it's gotten better over time, but there's a long way to go.

Old 10-01-2013, 10:22 AM

Quote:
It's not an uninformed expectation. It's a normal one. But you don't know that about Atlanta if you don't already know the right questions to ask.
You have never been to Downtown LA or Houston Have you?

Old 10-01-2013, 10:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Newsboy View Post
OK, maybe it's because I'm from Atlanta, but I never go to ANY city looking to be entertained downtown. If it has a great downtown, HOORAY! But that's not gonna be my first place to look!

Would anybody actually think to go to downtown Miami? NO! Downtown Orlando? NO! Downtown LA? NO! Downtown (CBD) New Orleans? NO! Downtown Vegas? HELL TO THE NO!
UGH, THANK YOU

PLENTY of large otherwise great cities have awful downtowns. You gotta research first.

Old 10-01-2013, 10:24 AM

3,421 posts, read 5,219,515 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bhammaster View Post
I typically, research places before I go to them. Most cities IMO don't have everything I want in it's downtown.
I agree with this. Still Atlanta's is disappointing for many and needs to be spruced up a bit.

Old 10-01-2013, 10:25 AM

Quote:
Downtown is pretty walkable. I worked there for eight years. I just think that for a city of this scale people expect more out of it.
Would anybody actually think to go to downtown Miami? NO! Downtown Orlando? NO! Downtown LA? NO! Downtown (CBD) New Orleans? NO! Downtown Vegas? HELL TO THE NO!

So why would Atlanta be an exception? Research first.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta