Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-18-2017, 02:29 PM

398 posts, read 382,297 times

Advertisements

Is living in Atlanta car-free feasible if you live and work in Midtown/Buckhead/Downtown (or, say, living in Decatur but working in Midtown)? Is taking the MARTA subway daily reliable?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-18-2017, 02:31 PM

23,726 posts, read 24,863,148 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Codederick View Post
Is living in Atlanta car-free feasible if you live and work in Midtown/Buckhead/Downtown (or, say, living in Decatur but working in Midtown)? Is taking the MARTA subway daily reliable?
I live in Kirkwood, work downtown and live car-free. MARTA is far more reliable than any street between Decatur and Atlanta (DeKalb, Ponce, Memorial)

Old 08-18-2017, 02:32 PM

10,974 posts, read 10,874,081 times
Quote:
Yes. Certainly.

I have done it while working in Buckhead and living in Midtown and doing it now in Downtown.

I recommend it. Atlanta traffic is no fun and it is best when you only have to see it from the occasional back seat of an Uber.

Old 08-18-2017, 02:37 PM

Thanks guys. Glad to hear.

Atlanta is pretty damn intriguing to me.

Not a fan of urban sprawl and being stuck in a car but at least you can avoid that by moving to one of the logistical hotspots (Midtown, Buckhead, etc). Another plus is the fairly low cost of living. BTW how's the foot traffic out in Midtown/Buckhead/Decatur/Downtown compared to foot traffic heavyweights, such as NYC and Chicago?

Atlanta has great single ratios and apparently due to the high gay population, it's an awesome city to be in if you're a straight guy, lol. It's also a great city if you're into chocolate shorties, which I am.

Last edited by Codederick; 08-18-2017 at 02:49 PM..

Old 08-18-2017, 05:30 PM

1,990 posts, read 2,361,554 times
I love my native Atlanta's beauty and vibrancy, but a foot traffic contest, even Downtown in the Peachtree Center hotel district during one of our big conventions (which is when Downtown Atlanta foot traffic reaches its zenith) we would be crushed by lower/midtown Manhattan standards. I really don't know about Chicago; I have never been there.

Old 08-18-2017, 05:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clayton white guy View Post
I love my native Atlanta's beauty and vibrancy, but a foot traffic contest, even Downtown in the Peachtree Center hotel district during one of our big conventions (which is when Downtown Atlanta foot traffic reaches its zenith) we would be crushed by lower/midtown Manhattan standards. I really don't know about Chicago; I have never been there.
Haha, thanks Clayton. Dudes, how is the foot traffic typically in Midtown, Buckhead, and Decatur?

Old 08-18-2017, 05:49 PM

37,881 posts, read 41,948,981 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by waronxmas View Post
I don't know if that is a given. LA has "dense sprawl", is laid out on a grid, and has highways coming out the wazoo and they have a connectivity/traffic mess on their hands.
Maybe because it's the second-largest metro in the country? I don't see how you can be as big as LA and NOT have bad traffic...at least in the U.S. But a big part of that is because the transit network is inadequate for a metro that big. That's changing but will take some time to truly bear fruit. And I honestly don't know how LA's road network truly stacks up.

But forget LA; look at metros like Houston and DFW whose sprawl isn't as dense but still on the denser side for Sunbelt metros. Their sprawl is gridded and they have pretty extensive road networks and their traffic situations aren't nearly as dire.

Old 08-18-2017, 05:56 PM

37,881 posts, read 41,948,981 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jsvh View Post
I think we will be doing exactly that by restoring the historic buildings and streets in South Downtown:

To an extent, but NOLA's urban fabric is still more cohesive. Look at how the FQ, CBD, and Warehouse District all connect relatively seamlessly for instance.

Atlanta can have a more cohesive urban fabric in downtown, but it will definitely take longer than 10 years to achieve.

Old 08-18-2017, 05:58 PM

10,974 posts, read 10,874,081 times
Quote:
Haha, thanks Clayton. Dudes, how is the foot traffic typically in Midtown, Buckhead, and Decatur?
Midtown probably has the most steady 24/7 foot traffic in the metro. You still won't confuse it with Manhattan but it is impressive how vibrant many of the areas have become in just the last few years.

Decatur is good to, it feels like a vibrant small town in the middle of a city.

Buckhead has a upscale, new feel to it. But it still has a lot of wide streets and not a huge amount of foot traffic compared to the others.

Downtown suffers from decades of bad policy trying to widen its streets into speedways, building surface parking lots & fortress-style buildings so its vibrance has suffered greatly. Though go stand in Woodruff Park in the middle of a work day and you will see more people walking around than anywhere else (it just drops off after work hours). Downtown still has the best bones for walkability, and my money is on it being the most vibrant neighborhood again in the coming years.

Old 08-18-2017, 06:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jsvh View Post
Midtown probably has the most steady 24/7 foot traffic in the metro. You still won't confuse it with Manhattan but it is impressive how vibrant many of the areas have become in just the last few years.

Decatur is good to, it feels like a vibrant small town in the middle of a city.

Buckhead has a upscale, new feel to it. But it still has a lot of wide streets and not a huge amount of foot traffic compared to the others.

Downtown suffers from decades of bad policy trying to widen its streets into speedways, building surface parking lots & fortress-style buildings so its vibrance has suffered greatly. Though go stand in Woodruff Park in the middle of a work day and you will see more people walking around than anywhere else (it just drops off after work hours). Downtown still has the best bones for walkability, and my money is on it being the most vibrant neighborhood again in the coming years.
jsvh, you're the authentic MVP!

Midtown sounds pretty damn good. I use Manhattan as a measuring stick but truth be told, Manhattan is probably a bit too congested. Something like Chicago or Toronto is likely ideal.

Are there any other walkable neighborhoods with hawt babes walking around in addition to the ones mentioned? Inman Park looks really nice. I've heard of Little 5 Points, too, but that seems too weird and hipster-ish for me.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta