U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-07-2013, 04:32 AM

927 posts, read 2,184,764 times

Advertisements

Well. y'know...Former FAMU player Jonathan Ferrell killed by Charlotte police - CNN.com

Quote:
Originally Posted by waronxmas View Post
On this specifically, the funny thing about that scene if you caught it was that it was one of the few times in the movie that Borat wasn't treated like crap or ran off. Sure, they were poking fun at him, but they were also joking with him and having a good time. Funny/sad how the American psyche says that someone like him showing up in the hood at 1am is a death sentence (he made it out fine), yet I bet that if he went to some random cul-de-sac in suburbs at 1am trying to talk to someone his chances of being shot would be significantly higher.

Borat being a gangster - YouTube
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-07-2013, 07:53 AM

8,370 posts, read 14,589,276 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bizchick86 View Post
Sadly, yup.

Old 10-07-2013, 11:02 AM

1,901 posts, read 2,998,518 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rocny View Post
there are black people in atlanta?

Old 10-07-2013, 10:57 PM

2,663 posts, read 4,733,565 times
Atlanta doesn't have a black historic district?

Old 10-08-2013, 12:54 AM

183 posts, read 290,603 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Columbuskidd92 View Post
West End & Sweet Auburn

Old 10-08-2013, 06:40 AM

927 posts, read 2,184,764 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Columbuskidd92 View Post
It does, but black culture in Atlanta =/= black historic district. Particularly since, as the names indicate, those districts had a history of black culture. They are not necessarily reflective of the rich black culture in the city today which is prevalent throughout the metro area and not simply one designated space.

Last edited by bizchick86; 10-08-2013 at 07:10 AM..

Old 10-08-2013, 07:54 AM

31,872 posts, read 35,556,909 times
I would think you'd want to be sure to hit Auburn Ave, the King center, AUC and the Herndon house, Washington HS, and the APEX museum. Also the upscale residential districts around Cascade and/or south DeKalb. They might also enjoy a visit to one of the historic churches like Big Bethel. If scheduling permits take in a visit to the Atlanta city council.

Old 10-08-2013, 09:17 AM

3,421 posts, read 5,087,157 times
I think there are great places to show him here in terms of Atlanta's black history, but I think it needs to be explained to this friend that while there are many things that have been created by black people such as jazz, hip hop and blues, black people are not a monolithic group and there really is no such thing as "real" black culture.

All black people, even here in Atlanta don't listen to these genres of music, aren't Christian, etc. I just think things need to be explained so that this friend doesn't make any stereotypical comments to black people even if he means no harm.

Old 10-08-2013, 09:39 AM

37,494 posts, read 40,207,582 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Atlanta_BD View Post
I think there are great places to show him here in terms of Atlanta's black history, but I think it needs to be explained to this friend that while there are many things that have been created by black people such as jazz, hip hop and blues, black people are not a monolithic group and there really is no such thing as "real" black culture.

All black people, even here in Atlanta don't listen to these genres of music, aren't Christian, etc. I just think things need to be explained so that this friend doesn't make any stereotypical comments to black people even if he means no harm.
Black folks aren't monolithic, but I wouldn't say there isn't such a thing as Black culture. Anomalies and outliers don't define the whole, IMO.

The OP should just show his friend the diversity within the Black community as much as possible. For instance, when it comes to religion, take him to a traditional Baptist/AME church, perhaps a Pentecostal/Word of Faith church, a Catholic church, and a mosque. But I doubt that he'll have that kind of time, so I'd opt for the traditional Baptist/AME church experience since that has been a cornerstone of the Black cultural experience for practically as long as we've been in America.

Old 10-08-2013, 11:02 AM

3,421 posts, read 5,087,157 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mutiny77 View Post
Black folks aren't monolithic, but I wouldn't say there isn't such a thing as Black culture. Anomalies and outliers don't define the whole, IMO.
Now this I don't agree with because there are soooo many black people who are outside what is considered black culture. I'm not saying there's no culture either, but it still doesn't mean that it defines us all.

A black person not being into hip hop or rap music isn't an anomaly. But on the other hand I get what you are saying. I'm considered to be weird (at least here in Atlanta) because of my tastes in music. But back home it's common for black people to be into the things I'm into. I guess it varies by region or city.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta